Homeschooling Help

olive
Really Creepy

Re: Homeschooling Help

Post by olive »

I think if school haven’t sent anything along I’d probably get her doing a few educational apps and reading to give the day some structure more than anything else.

Most kids are in the same boat so I can’t imagine she’ll fall massively behind.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

We have a structure more or less in place which is good and is so far mostly working (one fall out in seven days is good going considering we've not been out anywhere and don't have a garden), I guess it's more the stuff in giving her in lieu of school work that I'm a bit bothered about, but I'll check some of that stuff out, cheers.

I don't have a printer though, I refuse to have one. Home printers are cunts, basically.

The school is preparing something, they've asked me to download an app but so far there's no content on it.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Look up the Cub and Scout badges (or brownie and guides) They are usually full of pretty good projects to keep kids occupied and if she's got a purple mash log in they do some educational games.
Little My

Post by Little My »

'Just Dance' breaks for the win! I'm not sure what we would do without YouTube.
smalex

Post by smalex »

olive wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:49 pm Most kids are in the same boat so I can’t imagine she’ll fall massively behind.
I've found this thought quite reassuring in the last day or two. It suddenly occurred to me over the weekend that an entire generation of kids will have missed a random chunk.

Today went ok, I think he liked having the plan for the day so that he knew what to expect and what was coming up. He said 'it was good, just one problem...no friends' :cry:
Jet

Post by Jet »

I gathered the school districts suggested ideas and resources along with some I already had gathered and threw them on pieces of paper into bags for each subject then I just did a rough schedule for the day (which is going to need to be moveable dependent on my work meetings and ability to help S) and he just picks one thing out each bag in the morning.

Aside from math, most of today was internet based...such as he and L doodled with Mo Willems and then later they were already playing battleships so I stuck on a social studies youtube channel in the background and called it done :lol:

This interspersed with Minecraft (and a bit of car racing :uhh: ), free play and now they're outside and since we poked at ant mounds, inspected a bone on our lunch time walk and identified some animal footprints I think I'll call science done ;) :))
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Well done, parents, day one has to be one of the toughest, getting your head around a whole lot of crazy new systems.

Smalex - would you be open to him video calling a friend whilst he works? A parent sent me a clip of his child and another video calling to collaborate on their work, sharing ideas, praising each other etc. The parent said it helped the child to feel connected and more motivated to work.
smalex

Post by smalex »

That's a good idea Coo.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Topcat wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 pm The school is preparing something, they've asked me to download an app but so far there's no content on it.
The new app is replacing the previous one for alerts. Last Tuesday’s letter (that I posted on page one!) told us then that work was being sent home via a google drive, which was sent home Thursday.
Last edited by wendy james on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

There's all sorts of stuff happening out there online. Drawing tutorials, live history lessons, dance classes. :love: There's a live nature class today at 11am from the Iver Environment Centre.
smalex

Post by smalex »

We're hoping to tune into that, WJ!
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

There's a guy local to me who has a company called The Critter Keeper. He's doing Facebook lives too. Think his next one is today at 1.30. He has various animals and insects that he rescues and goes around schools teaching kids about them.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

wendy james wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:56 am
Topcat wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 pm The school is preparing something, they've asked me to download an app but so far there's no content on it.
The new app is replacing the previous one for alerts. Last Tuesday’s letter (that I posted on page one!) told us then that work was being sent home via a google drive, which was sent home Thursday.
Ah, right. Thanks. It didn't make much sense for them to be so unorganised.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Right.

Because we were off last week we didn't get that book or the passwords. So now so I break quarantine and go to school to get it, or sit it out until the end of the week?
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Do you need a book? Ours is all online.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Wait to the end of the week. Are there any online resources she uses anyway? W gets maths homework online so they've uploaded a load of stuff to that. Any other families you could contact to ask them to photograph work sheets or something?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I can't believe the school wouldn't just give you the details via email. Why not ask them, instead of us? C'mon man, get a grip. You function in a job without all this hand holding don't you? :fish:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

The book went out last week (whilst we were off) with all the passwords in it. I emailed the office on Monday but haven't had a reply.

I can carry on as I am and of course there is a lot of stuff out there which I can and am using, but its only ever going to be hit and miss at best when it comes up actual learning progression.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Ok, I'll let you off. :mrgreen: Have you asked another Y6 parent for the google drive log in details?