Topcat

Re: Homeschooling Help

Post by Topcat »

I don't know any.

I'll try the Facebook page.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Our class WhatsApp group is very unhappy that the teacher isn't going to virtually mark all the work! I can't really see how he can be expected to keep up with that daily though. They are claiming they don't know the answers and can't check their child's work. This is year 3!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

He has sent maths answers but nothing else.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

The school has just called to say that they are having issues with year six log ins which is why none of it was making sense.

They are going to email me the stuff that we've missed as well as copies of the booklets that were issued which also contains notes on what it is they should be doing and when.

That feels much better now that I at least have some direction.

Anyway, today has involved Rockstars, Joe Wicks, Google music thing (cheers, Olive!), reading and some maths on the Khan Academy, so things are getting done.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Today has been shit here. I’m not sleeping so I’m grumpy. None of the kids wanted to do anything and when they did finally crack on they wanted to do the bare minimum. They are acting like I’m their personal tutor and wanting me to sit and work through everything individually with them. I can’t rip myself into three so we’re all getting cross with each other.

I sacked it all off and we danced around to Just Dance then had a group hug, I fed them and kicked them outside.

Cube is now sat with an ice pack on his ankle after an accident on the trampoline. :duh:

It’s only Day 2 :lol: I think the older 2 are still processing everything so hopefully it’ll get better.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Today has been a disaster so far. C didn't have any work yesterday, so I had him do a bit of reading and timestables - all good. Today all 3 of them had tonnes of work set - A (10) is entirely self sufficient thank god, but C (8) and E (5) need pretty much one to one attention to get anything done. I got C to do his set maths work, and he got every single question wrong.

I'm going to drop the school an email in a bit and say, with the best will in the world, this isn't going to work for us and we'll try to get bits done here and there.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

happyhighlandcoo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 pm Smalex - would you be open to him video calling a friend whilst he works? A parent sent me a clip of his child and another video calling to collaborate on their work, sharing ideas, praising each other etc. The parent said it helped the child to feel connected and more motivated to work.
This is flipping genius! J’s currently doing his art with his friend on Skype doing the same. They’re mostly talking nonsense but they’re having a nice time.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Our access is fixed so we've now caught up on maths, English will wait until tomorrow.

For now it's Disney Plus and Minecraft, she's done enough for today.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

It has occurred to me today (and sorry to be the voice of doom) but I think the Easter holidays will be HIDEOUS. Homeschooling’s quite tough but at least they’re busy for several hours. Easter holidays with nowhere to go is not going to be fun.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

We're going to ignore the holidays and do 'stuff' to keep them occupied.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Yeah, the school holidays won’t be especially marked here. And I’m off the bank holidays so that gives us some options even indoors.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

It'll probably take the Easter holidays to finish off the amount of stuff we've been set :lol:

And we're getting loads of craft stuff set as well - which is all well and good (especially when I had the bright idea of getting the 10 year old to do the 5 year olds project with her) but at some point we're going to run out of glue/ materials etc - do they count as essential supplies?
Margo

Post by Margo »

I’m not homeschooling so haven’t read all this thread but just saw this, if it’s useful:
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I noticed Skillshare were offering a free two-month subscription if that's helpful to anyone.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yeah. I can't really imagine the holidays. But neither do I just want to power through to July without a break
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Thank you for sharing the music website, my boys have had great fun with that today.

I can't think as far ahead as Easter right now :cry:

Our daily class zoom calls have been absolutely brilliant so far. They've all been so excited to see their friends :love2: We said we'll trial them for a week but I hope they'll carry on. Complete and utter mayhem though :lol:
Jet

Post by Jet »

S's dyslexia teacher called me this morning saying she will be still be doing tuition but via Zoom and with 3 kids instead of 1 on 1. I'm really glad they're going to do that, it's going to be interesting!
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

3 would work well I reckon Jet. We had 17 this morning and it was chaos :lol:
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

There is the full spectrum of conspicuous parenting going on on our class WhatsApp group from people saying their child has finished all the work by 1030am and that it's not enough, to people quite condescendingly telling others to chill out and that they and their kids are playing in the garden and to 'just enjoy the time with them!'.
smalex

Post by smalex »

purple_dress wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:37 am There is the full spectrum of conspicuous parenting going on on our class WhatsApp group from people saying their child has finished all the work by 1030am and that it's not enough, to people quite condescendingly telling others to chill out and that they and their kids are playing in the garden and to 'just enjoy the time with them!'.
:)) The opportunities to out parent each other are ripe.