Lockdown (And Beyond) Hatchlings

smalex

Re: Lockdown Hatchlings

Post by smalex »

Loralei wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:54 pm
Does he go to H school?
Yes.

I'll pass this sentiment on. I do feel for people doing Reception or Yr 7 for the first time during this, its hard to know what's normal etc. Or how school generally takes it absolutely fine if you assert your opinion clearly (IYSWIM, I was a bit terrified about speaking to the teacher first about things or saying I didn't think something was right)
Last edited by smalex on Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I think that is probably just to structure it for parents who feel they need it. I would do what Lora & Froozy suggest - i.e. some of the English & Maths and then other normal activities.
smalex wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:24 pm Obviously it is what it is, I get that, but I also think there is plenty of very valid reason to be concerned and to be wary of signs they're finding it difficult.
Absolutely. Of course you are going to be worried about your own child and watchful. That's normal and appropriate. But I try to stop myself going round in circles about it by framing it in terms of whether it is helpful concern i.e. is there anything I can do about it? In this scenario, there isn't. I might be able to mitigate some things - for example, routines and encouraging them to zoom family and friends - but I can't change what is happening and so the worry is therefore unhelpful.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ruby wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:07 pm I think that is probably just to structure it for parents who feel they need it. I would do what Lora & Froozy suggest - i.e. some of the English & Maths and then other normal activities.
smalex wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:24 pm Obviously it is what it is, I get that, but I also think there is plenty of very valid reason to be concerned and to be wary of signs they're finding it difficult.
Absolutely. Of course you are going to be worried about your own child and watchful. That's normal and appropriate. But I try to stop myself going round in circles about it by framing it in terms of whether it is helpful concern i.e. is there anything I can do about it? In this scenario, there isn't. I might be able to mitigate some things - for example, routines and encouraging them to zoom family and friends - but I can't change what is happening and so the worry is therefore unhelpful.
And hereby we find the exact reason I'm medicated for anxiety and on the waiting list for CBT :mog: :ruby:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Well yes. :)) As someone who is a card-carrying anxiety crackpot, I do feel it would be remiss of me not to point out there is some catastrophising going on. :look:
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

smalex wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:03 pm
Loralei wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:54 pm
Does he go to H school?
Yes.
My friends children go/went there (I think you looked at her kitchen a while back?) It's a great school but I believe there's a high level of competitive parenting. I reckon if they didn't send that out then they'd have complaints about certain children being understimulated.

And definitely don't worry about how he's doing compared to others. Summer boys will be massively different to autumn children in Reception, but not in Y6. Reception is about learning to form letters!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yeahhh I can well imagine that :look:

She does know that, its silly because she works with kids who've had horrendous lives, she knows it takes more than being born in August to doom you!
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

It's so much easier to be rational about other people's children though :))
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Kleio wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:45 pm No choice.

What I’m angry about is the fact that our loca food banks have said that increasingly they are having families who can’t afford gas and electric. This means they have to provide food parcels that don’t require cooking or cold storage. It breaks my heart people are getting to this but it’s how it is.

Having children at home increases how much electric you use (charging devices, lights on, extra meals), gas (heating) and the things like toilet roll, hand soap, water for flushing etc. So many associated costs!

I can scrape by and I’m a good, inventive cook so I do ok. Mum is home all the time so I’m used to the extra costs from her.

But this? If it’s a stop gap because the funding hasn’t come through then fine but If this is out of the £15 per child where is the rest of the money?

£15 a week can pay for ALL meals for a child and then mean the household budget is left to spend on the above extra costs. This cost, what £4?

The catering company provided a menu. They recommend the beans are used over 4 days. The tin says use within 2.
Kleio, did you see that this has kicked off on Twitter? Marcus Rashford is on it!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I’m on an austerity group and it’s kicking off there too.
sally maclennane

It's utterly disgraceful.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I’ve tweeted Marcus and Mellors too.
Sky

Post by Sky »

ParisGal wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:56 pm Obvs no experience here, but I think I'd be lumping things together like "How many SHeep are there on this mug? How many SHoes are in the hall? Are there more SHoes or more SHeep?" I think kids here learn actual writing a bit later, but trying to do any kind of paper-based work beyond colouring was so awful when I started with my reception pupil a couple of years ago that anything that enables learning without writing was gladly embraced by both of us :lol:
She could teach him the words to Bowie's Changes on the designated Choosday :))

This was promoted on my work's website for World Mental Health Day a few months back and might be worth a look for some of the wee ones struggling at the moment.

youngminds.org.uk/find-help/for-parents/supporting-your-child-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/#how-can-i-support-my-child-during-lockdown?
nineseven wrote:What's the point in being slim if you have to stay indoors all the time, leaking from your anus?
http://www.justgiving.com/Pamela-Ward" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

The food pictures on Facebook are so upsetting. I really hope this kicks off so much that something changes. It's appalling.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

What’s upsetting me is being told I should be grateful for reviving it. This is why I rarely engaged on social media over the vouchers.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I'm not surprised. They can shove their gratitude up their sanctimonious arses.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

The people who should be grateful are the ones who must be skimming off huge profits for providing people with a lot of cheap shit that is so random it's clearly just what could be obtained on some deal. I saw one photo tweeted by Marcus Rashford that had a couple of small cartons of orange juice and a jelly drink, a yoyo bear thing, another snack, some paper packages of raisins, 4 apples and a tin of beans. Utterly pointless and for the price of the Heinz beans, jelly and yoyo bear you could get the makings of a good pot of soup. I get that not everyone is in a position to cook things like soup but it feels so insulting.
sally maclennane

In news that will surprise no-one, the contract for supplying these boxes was given to a company chaired by a man who was on David Camerons business advisory group, and is also a Tory donor.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Much better to spend 60% of the money on administration than to have the ungrateful wasters choose how to use the money themselves :ella:
sally maclennane

Apparently they used to give out vouchers which couldn't be used for alcohol or cigarettes but presumably that wasn't punitive enough, or it didn't allow enough profit for their mates :ella:

I know some people don't like her but Jack Munro is doing good stuff on Twitter with this.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Obviously I am not doing the homeschooling right now, but I have Opinions :)) Joe's drama class have been asked to video themselves doing a monologue and upload it. Joe is in tears about this. It's not unreasonable to let him off and email the teacher to briefly explain why he's not done it, is it? I don't feel like it's adding enough to justify that level of anxiety when he's getting everything else done fine. Tbh, I would not want to upload a video of myself for a load of 12 year olds to rip apart.