Lockdown (And Beyond) Hatchlings

Ruby

Re: Lockdown (And Beyond) Hatchlings

Post by Ruby »

I reckon we might end up with partial closures in some areas for short periods e.g. one year group sent home for a week etc. My school is relatively ok at the moment as we only have two staff off with covid. If we get an overall though, we might have to send kids home because of staffing. The government want us to combine classes in those circumstances - they seem to think we have an endless supply of rooms that seat 60+
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I should have said that while I fully believe that schools should stay open, the government should be doing MUCH more to improve the situation in schools particularly re ventilation. However, as we all know, they won't bother their collective arses unless there's something in it for their mates :ella:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Luce

Post by Luce »

Endless huge rooms with perfect ventilation, facilities, air filtration etc, Ruby? Surely every school has those in abundance!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

It's ok because there are 7000 air filtration units coming. :disco: Which will definitely cover every classroom in the country.

I don't think schools should close again. I think they should definitely stay open. It's fucking appalling that they still haven't done anything to sort out a problem they know has existed for nearly 2 years though. They literally do not give a shit.
sally maclennane

Ruby wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:45 pm It's ok because there are 7000 air filtration units coming. :disco: Which will definitely cover every classroom in the country.

I don't think schools should close again. I think they should definitely stay open. It's fucking appalling that they still haven't done anything to sort out a problem they know has existed for nearly 2 years though. They literally do not give a shit.
There's nothing in it for them - kids can't vote, teachers aren't likely to be Tory voters, there's no big money to ve made for their donors, why would they bother :shrug:
Little My

Post by Little My »

Ahh, they are going back again on Monday. However, contact tracing has been completely scrapped, we will not be notified of a positive case even if they are close contacts. There is no requirement to even tell the school that your child is off due to having covid. 11 and under just have to isolate for 5 days, same for 12+ if they're fully vaccinated. Children will only be given a test if they come down with symptoms at school, otherwise nothing. Just pinky swear that you'll isolate if you're symptomatic. (It's -20 here, everyone has a runny nose.)

But we still have to submit online screening forms for each child every single morning. WHY BOTHER?!

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they're going back. But it feels a lot like they're being sent back at the height of omicron to be inoculated. They could have done that 2 weeks ago. /rant
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Report day sneaked up on me (good job I’d recently let them choose some godawful wax melter thing their babysitter is now selling and can now say that it’s a reward :lol: ) and they’re fab.

Comments about a lack of confidence in maths have disappeared from Sproglette’s, as has any mention of Elvis bring reticent. One is a writing wizard and the other has a wonderful turn of phrase. Most importantly, aside from both being conscientious :)) , they’re both good talk partners - one described as calm and caring, and the other can be heard offering kind words of support to help others. Can’t really ask for more. :love:
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Awwww :love2: What fabulous people you are raising, Wendy.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

What amazing comments, Wendy. You must be bursting with unsurprised pride!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thanks! They are pretty cool. Most of the time ;)
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

What lovely comments Wendy, well done to your girls (and you, obviously!)
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

How lovely, Wendy.
sally maclennane

Aww, Wendy, you must be so proud of them!
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Ahh that’s so lovely! :love:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's so nice to hear, Wendy!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
viggy

Post by viggy »

Aww that’s a great report Wendy!
Glint

Post by Glint »

How lovely, Wendy.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Such lovely comments Wendy!

I had Betty’s parent evening tonight and they were so kind about her! She’s confident, eager to learn, intelligent… a number of them admitted she was one of their favourite students (one said ever!)

Her English teacher said that at age 11 she could sit a GCSE and easily get a C (5)
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I ended up in a really awkward situation today and it was utterly awful.

We were heading down the beach as a family and B, (E's Girlfriend) wanted to join us. E rang her* and said where we were and she could come and meet us.

About 20 minutes later she turned up and was saying something about how her Dad had taken her to a different section of the beach and when he realised he was in the wrong place he had a fit, they'd argued, she said she was coming anyway and there was some sort of threat of dragging her off the beach. I didn't get the gist of it but she was there, alone. I asked where her Dad was and she said he was 'somewhere' and she'd text him to say she'd found us.

About 5 minutes later her Dad appeared, stayed about 100m away and started screaming that B needed to go home with him. He has contact every weekend. I didn't know they had problems. B started crying and screaming that she hated him and wasn't going anywhere with him. He didn't come any closer.

I said very loudly (so he could hear) to B that I was happy to have her for a few hours with me on the beach but I'd have to have his permission to do so. I tried to make eye contact with him and started to walk towards him so we could discuss a way forward and he screamed at her once more than stormed off the beach, up the steps and was gone. I was at a loss, I've never met him, although I said I was happy to have his 12 year old for a few hours I didn't know what to do with her or where to take her once we'd finished and he'd just left.

I asked B to call her Mum and I had a chat with her on the 'phone about what had happened. She said she has no contact with him but would speak to the grandparents and get them to explain that B would be staying with me. During that conversation the Dad came back onto the beach, screamed that he was leaving B and she could do what she want then stormed off again.

It was freezing on the beach so we headed to the arcades (again) and I gave them some cash to have fun while I stayed with Elf. About 40 minutes after the last incident on the beach he rang B's phone. She burst into tears and said she couldn't answer it so I took the call. I just said hello nicely, he asked for B and I said I was looking after her phone as we were worried about pickpockets, we were in the arcades, I'd spoken to her Mum and I could go and find B if he wanted. He swore down the phone and put it down on me!

At any point we could have just had a chat! I was perfectly calm and willing to take her back to her grandparents at any moment. In the end, I took them for ice cream and I've just dropped her back, she was really worried about going in the house as she knew he'd be in there.

Men: An Ongoing Terrifying Saga.

*I say she but that's just for ease here they go by they/he but then they're B's 'girl'friend so I don't fucking know. 'they' class themselves as demisexual, bisexual and trans.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Blimey. That's an awful situation for you to be in. That poor girl/person/non-binary individual.