Lockdown (And Beyond) Hatchlings

Estrella

Re: Lockdown Hatchlings

Post by Estrella »

I hope she goes well, Zooms. J was back today after 8 weeks out (it was the start of week 3 back for S). My house felt so quiet all day!
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

It seems to have gone ok (J brought her). She was a little shy going in, but her lovely TA gave her a cuddle, after asking J if we were ok with it. J was a little freaked out that the other boy in her year going back is the son of a doctor, but I told him he was being a gimp. :supportive:

How did your J get on, Est?
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

He had a great day, Zooms. His highlight was when his class got to go and play team games on the oval in the afternoon. They were both starving when they got home this afternoon!
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I'm glad it went well for J, Est, and hope A has a good day :love:
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Our school have published their re-opening plan with a maximum of 20 Y6s. I don't know if that means they had 9 families definitely decline or whether not everyone who's said yes/maybe can go. The Head should be calling us all this week to discuss.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

What have you decided, Lora?

A had a good day, thanks. None of her own little friends were there, but it didn't seem to bother her too much. She's expanding her social circle, doncha know? :))
Little My

Post by Little My »

They're good at that!
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

That's good. She's obviously a resilient little thing.

I don't think I will send him, no. Definitely not for week one but we'll see how it goes.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

JK Rowling is releasing a new book that she originally wrote for her children.

It's called the Ickabog and the website will be up soon, producing a few chapters a day all for free.

She also wants children to illustrate it by uploading work to twitter with the #ickabog.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I know mine aren’t going back anyway at the moment but the school emailed today to say the trust members had decided to delay school return for all until the 8th June.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Our school don't have enough spaces for all the children who do/might want to return so instead of doing what every other school seems to (sensibly) be doing and having them in for 2 days a week - with Wednesday set aside for cleaning - they've drawn names from a hat. Its absolutely ridiculous. I'm not annoyed that J cant go in, specifically, but it seems such a divisive way to do it.

Also the Head only called those parents whose child had a place, so those who didn't (including us) were left wondering. I had a really bewildering message conversation with her where I asked if I should presume he couldn't return as I hadn't heard, and she replied saying they were trying their best under difficult circumstances, so I said I accepted that but perhaps their communication could be better, and she replied saying their key worker numbers had gone up but she'd be in touch as things became clearer. I feel like we're having two different conversations but there's such a tone of, "We are doing our best! Give us a break!" that I don't feel I can keep pushing what I am actually trying to say. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why they've chosen this format or to ask that they keep everyone informed.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Names from a hat is...god. I don't even know what to say.! Ridiculous.
My friend who lives in my home town said her school seemed to be near 100% up take of places so theyve retracted spaces for year 1. I'm so shocked by the difference in uptake. I don't think where I live now and there is *that* different, I'm absolutely fascinated by it.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I was told they had to prioritise them in age order, Reception first and Y6 last, which obviously doesn't tie in with retracting spaces for Y1.

Weirdly, our school have split Reception into two groups to go 2 days a week each, so they obviously know it's an option. I think we have a Head who was a brilliant teacher but not a great leader, unfortunately.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Loralei wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:56 pm I was told they had to prioritise them in age order, Reception first and Y6 last, which obviously doesn't tie in with retracting spaces for Y1.
And ours is prioritising Y6 (after key worker/vulnerable) and not expecting R and pre school to be back until September :teacher:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Loralei wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:45 pm Our school don't have enough spaces for all the children who do/might want to return so instead of doing what every other school seems to (sensibly) be doing and having them in for 2 days a week - with Wednesday set aside for cleaning - they've drawn names from a hat. Its absolutely ridiculous. I'm not annoyed that J cant go in, specifically, but it seems such a divisive way to do it.
This is bonkers.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Drawing names from a hat seems so strange!
Little My

Post by Little My »

It is so strange - like it doesn't matter to them in the slightest who attends!
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

We also had a letter saying A’s school wouldn’t be opening until June 8. I wonder if it’s a delaying tactic to see if they actually u turn on this.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Loralei wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:45 pm Also the Head only called those parents whose child had a place, so those who didn't (including us) were left wondering. I had a really bewildering message conversation with her where I asked if I should presume he couldn't return as I hadn't heard, and she replied saying they were trying their best under difficult circumstances, so I said I accepted that but perhaps their communication could be better, and she replied saying their key worker numbers had gone up but she'd be in touch as things became clearer. I feel like we're having two different conversations but there's such a tone of, "We are doing our best! Give us a break!" that I don't feel I can keep pushing what I am actually trying to say. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why they've chosen this format or to ask that they keep everyone informed.
Our school's communication has been shocking as well - we got notification late on the Friday before half term that they would be key worker/ vulnerable until 15th, then Year 1 only from then. No mention of Nursery, Reception or Year 6 at all - not even a "we're working on it and will be in touch". Which has of course pissed a lot of parents off. The tone of their communication throughout has been incredibly negative and obstructive.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Drawing names from a hat!

Joe will be going in for at least a few days in late June, as S1 are going for transition days. I have no idea when (other than after 15th June) and for how long. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but he seems fine.