Lockdown (And Beyond) Hatchlings

wendy james

Re: Lockdown Hatchlings

Post by wendy james »

They’re only doing it for children who are shielding.

Tbf, the school might choose to do it themselves but that was the message from the CEO. I imagine it’s to do with workload. We’ve already had a gushing note from Sproglette’s Y4 teacher reassuring us that she’ll be around and setting work and she’s still their teacher, as she’s been listed as one of temporary Y6 teachers.
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

No kleio I don’t think so, our school sent a letter out today saying whilst they would still set some work for children who didn’t go back it wouldn’t be to the extent it has been during lockdown and the priority will obviously be the kids in the actual classroom.

S is yr2 and the school aren’t even re-opening for yr 1 till the 8th, then reception and yr 6 are staggered after that some not going back till the last week in June. So even if they did then take yr 2 it would be first or second week in July so frankly it seems a tad pointless for the sake of a week and half before they would have been breaking up anyway.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I'm surprised at that Wendy - presumably if they are setting it for children who are shielding, they can just extend it to everyone? It's no skin off their nose!
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

The question of to send or not to send has raised itself on our parents FB page. 10 ‘no chance’ and 2 ‘er, yes’ - those two are me and another key worker mum whose child has attended throughout.

My SAHM friend messaged me and said:

‘Do you reckon I will get judged and ridiculed for sending L back to school even though I don’t need her to go?! 😬
I’m so undecided after seeing that post!’

So I think there definitely is something in the ‘socially unacceptable thing, smal.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Our school are setting the same work for Learning in and out of school so they can support both.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

smalex wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:03 pm Our school are setting the same work for Learning in and out of school so they can support both.
Same Smal. The children will do exactly the same work. I imagine more will start to come home as Cube only gets an hour or so a day.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I know what you mean about the socially unacceptable thing, Smal. Not that I think you were suggesting that those against schools returning are against for reason other than worrying about risk. But more that, the other way round - wanting to send kids back - does seem socially unacceptable. And there might be parents who really want/need to who feel they can't because of peer pressure.

So far, from our WhatsApp group I think there will be more Year 1s than not. My nurse friend hasn't been using her keyworker place up till now but she's sending her son back and will be continuing to makd sure he's then kept away from anyone vulnerable, just like before.

For us, the benefits outweigh the risks at the moment. Which would normally be fine but I'm aware that, if what some people think is correct - the risks are for society not just us. Then again, others say the risk is minimal.

Sigh. It's been a really bad day here. Constant tears (from me). I don't know much longer I can do this at even the most basic parenting level. So far I've kept the boys happy which is all that matters but I feel like a shell.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Technically, it is the decision of the Head and the governing body about whether to open or not. One blanket decision isn't possible because schools are in very different situations with regards to staffing and buildings. My current school will be able to open because we have quite a big site (even though the school is a shit hole) but my old school (a much more modern building) uses space much more economically and I don't know how they will manage. Incidentally, the advice for secondary schools *still* hasn't been released - half-term is next week and then we are meant to be opening.

I think it's best, in the circumstances, to assume good faith from everyone - schools are absolutely opening when they can, people who aren't sending their children in have very good reasons and people who are sending their children also have very good reasons.

This is a really good article;
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/e ... s-teachers

One of my team at work has received a letter from school to say she has to come in unless she has a shielding letter - even though she has really severe asthma and has been told to self-isolate.
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

I definitely agree that no judging either way should be done here, I appreciate I’m in a good position as I work from home normally anyway, keeping S home (whilst home schooling hasn’t been all marvellous it must be said!) is no great hardship for the sake of a few weeks and I’m not being pressurised to return to an office, which a lot of people will be. And it’s not like childcare is cheap or easy to get at the moment. And I know S would love to go back and see her friends, if it had been say from Easter time I might be making a different decision but for the sake of a fortnight in our case it just seems daft.
But everyone’s circumstances and pressures are going to be different and no one should be judged, we’ve none of us ever been in this position before, I just hope we never are again.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

emma_p wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:55 pm I'm surprised at that Wendy - presumably if they are setting it for children who are shielding, they can just extend it to everyone? It's no skin off their nose!
It really does seem a bit vindictive, doesn't it. The kids are getting the same light tasks regardless of their location.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I have no idea if there are children shielding in every year group in every school in the Trust (I think there’s 16 primary/first schools) and presumed they were managing expectations on a high level. The school themselves haven’t mentioned either way.
Glint

Post by Glint »

I am so pleased that Nicola has announced what she has. Part time return from August 11th, it is a long slog without actual peer interaction but I think it is the right thing to do.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Glint wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 pm I am so pleased that Nicola has announced what she has. Part time return from August 11th, it is a long slog without actual peer interaction but I think it is the right thing to do.
She was great, wasn't she? I think it is the right thing to do, and knowing that there are a few months to plan it out must be helpful.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Glint

Post by Glint »

:yes: Even to thanking the kids :cry:
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Glint wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 pm I am so pleased that Nicola has announced what she has. Part time return from August 11th, it is a long slog without actual peer interaction but I think it is the right thing to do.
I agree, Nicola was great and the other parties seem to mostly agree with her too.

With my J due to start school in August, I think he'll get some settling in sessions from next month. I'm a bit nervous about it, but I don't think the sessions are that long. There's 12 new P1s due to start in his school, so they might just split them up into a couple of groups.
Glint

Post by Glint »

12 in total, or 12 new children he doesn't know?

I think S's settling in sessions were a few hours working with the current p1s and then they had 1 half day during 'bump up day'. Im sure the school will handle transition well, especially as they will be working in the school rather than remotely. Our current p6s are doing videos for their new P1 buddy.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Glint wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:39 am Our current p6s are doing videos for their new P1 buddy.
This is so lovely. Our current YRs made a video for their Y6 buddies, and I don't think anyone managed to watch it dry eyed. J will still see his buddy as they live on our road and have already taken him to the cinema :hbeat: but I know lots of his friends are gutted at not having a chance to say a proper goodbye :cry:

TD's lockdown thing is wearing dresses. He loves it. He asked if he could wear a (uniform) dress to school when they go back and I said yes, if he wanted to, but he had to be prepared for other's reactions (he's been teased for having a pink water bottle in the past :ella: ) He's testing the water today by attending his class Zoom in his favourite puffin frock :)) I'm a bit worried I'm sending a lamb to the slaughter - there are some mercilessly sexist boys in his class - but will leave it up to him.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Glint wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:39 am 12 in total, or 12 new children he doesn't know?

I think S's settling in sessions were a few hours working with the current p1s and then they had 1 half day during 'bump up day'. Im sure the school will handle transition well, especially as they will be working in the school rather than remotely. Our current p6s are doing videos for their new P1 buddy.

12 in total. It's a tiny school with only 4 classrooms, so I think it will be a bit of a challenge when they all go back.

Videos from the P6s is so lovely! We've had videos from the teachers on Seesaw, and the new P1s had to record one introducing themselves. J said how much he was looking forward to meeting his teacher.

Hopefully there won't be any teasing, Lora. I know what children can be like, though.

It's so sad that the buddies won't get to say a proper goodbye. I can't decide if it's better or worse that J is just starting school. I'm gutted for him that all these social distancing rules will be in place for him starting, but on the other hand he won't know anything else.
Glint

Post by Glint »

TD :love:

We’ve received this letter to keep us informed. We usually have 10 classes from p1 - p7, some composite classes and some year intakes have 2 classes, so it will take some organisation.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Bless TD.

Still complete radio silence here on anything - I'm checking the corona page on the website on average once every half hour to see if there are any updates! Our school will almost definitely email out a letter at close of play today, so nobody at the school is available to answer any queries on it until well into next week :ella: