Lockdown (And Beyond) Hatchlings

Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Re: Lockdown Hatchlings

Post by Smunder Woman »

Ah, here they are allowed outside with friends, so it is a bit different.

Instadad has just said he'll take them for the Easter holidays, so I'm bracing myself for more snarky comments about letting them travel in a pandemic :frolic:
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I’ve done a couple of walks with a friend while our sons walk several metres in front of us. I have also picked up her son and taken him out to run around with D. It’s only a tiny stretch of the rules and it did them the world of good.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Smun, they're allowed to travel to another parent anyway aren't they?
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

They are, but that doesn't seem to stop people having opinions.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

My sister has been very strict with the rules but she's buckled this week and got in touch with friends of my niece and nephew to exercise in the park. I think it is essential for them if they're lonely.

I'm sure lots of children will be worried about going back to school but as soon as they are in, everything is pretty normal and they'll be so happy.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Smunder Woman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:10 pm They are, but that doesn't seem to stop people having opinions.
:flo:
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Loralei wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:31 pm I don't subscribe to working out what we can get away with as long as it's within the letter, if not the spirit, of the rules, but I think mental health is being hugely overlooked and that outside transmission (with distancing) is unlikely.
I agree and really think young children don't get much out of phone calls etc so at this stage the benefit of meeting someone occasionally in the park far outweigh any risk. I'd be doing it again even if it wasn't allowed.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

I really do think it is fair enough if children are struggling.
Luce

Post by Luce »

So do I and am happy to go toe to toe with anyone who thinks differently. For your situation, too, Smund.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Luce wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:08 pm So do I and am happy to go toe to toe with anyone who thinks differently. For your situation, too, Smund.
Thank you :))
viggy

Post by viggy »

Fuck yes - get them to him for the easter holidays and get your PhD on :yes:
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Absolutely! Mental health is so important and in your circumstances I’d be doing the same. In fact, I’ve suggested Betty go for a walk with one of her friends for the same reasons.

Smun, get Shoe to cut anyone who suggests you’re doing a bad thing.
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

Honestly, no-one round here seems to be paying the slightest bit of attention to the rule saying only exercise with one other person from outside your household! I was saying as much to my best friend as we walked briskly round the park clutching our coffees :mog: We’ve seen groups of runners, dog walkers, mixes of two or three adults with four or five kids, all just strolling along outside. MrA says I should stop moaning about it and just let them get on with it. Anyway, I wouldn’t hesitate to take an only child to the park to have a faintly controlled run around with a friend.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Thanks everyone. I (as I've said before) have internalised judgement/discussion a bit too much, I'm trying not to.

We walked by the local park on Monday and there were 5 women and assorted kids there, in a clear group, so yeah, I take your point Arrietty.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I mentally salute those people in a perverse, contrary way. Gives the judgers something to moan about. I mean, I’m not brave enough to do it myself and my children haven’t seen other children since December. But still! :))
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Thing is, I understand the thinking behind the blanket ban as give people an inch and they'll take a mile but at the same time if you leave playgrounds open it does rather suggest that kids running around together outside is not exactly a source of major concern.

In your shoes Smal, I wouldn't hesitate to give the poor chap a bit of a break. And fuck anyone who judges :)
Luce

Post by Luce »

I actually read the guidance the other day and it says that public parks should be reserved for children without gardens. Again, fair and makes total sense but utterly weird and entirely non enforceable in real life.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I definitely didn't judge the group of women I saw (though equally I understand why people get annoyed by it). I had a bit of a lump in my throat and sort of wished it was me, sitting with my friends, chewing the fat.

Yeah, that's true too Del. I think this time I sort of thought it was better for W, because we've got the childcare bubble with my nephew (who is 4) as a bit of respite. And it *IS* better in many ways, but its also 11 months in now. In 11 months he's had a couple of sessions seeing friends last summer, 12 weeks at school (and his bubble actually only contains 1 or 2 of his proper friends), and about 6 swimming lessons (his best friend goes to the same session, so queuing up was basically all the contact they had every week, and they revelled in it, the poor things).
Luce

Post by Luce »

smalex wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:58 pm I definitely didn't judge the group of women I saw (though equally I understand why people get annoyed by it). I had a bit of a lump in my throat and sort of wished it was me, sitting with my friends, chewing the fat.
Same! I want to make friends with them!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Thanks for the encouragement, we met Ws best friend at the park this morning and they spent 2.5hrs going absolutely mad, climbing through the woods, sliding down muddy banks on their bums, running around. Just watching them is therapy, let alone for them.

Had to make W strip off at the door he was so filthy
:lol: