Lockdown (And Beyond) Hatchlings

Dáire

Re: Lockdown Hatchlings

Post by Dáire »

The government will back down, I reckon. None will open. They're already reiterating it was a proposed date 'if' it could be safe, and they won't go ahead with the nation divided even more. Test and trace is still a way off.

Not heard from T's new school yet, apart from the forms I filled in end of March. One of the first things the new year 7s do is a two night trip at an activity camp, so they can meet each other properly and bond, and it saddens me that lovely idea will be replaced with a grim videocall.
smalex

Post by smalex »

S. Glos circulated a letter this week making it sound like they definitely were planning to, but warning that there might not be a place available for everyone that wants one. It's going to be such a patchwork.
Last edited by smalex on Wed May 20, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ours is in Bradford but because we're an academy, our schools makes it own rules I think?
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Lots of rumours about when Scottish schools will reopen. J's school have emailed to say they don't know anymore than we do, but it's likely they will have to open operating split hours or days. Doesn't surprise me though, since they only have four classrooms.

Another rumour I read was they would be open from next month for those starting primary and secondary, so that would include J for starting primary, if it's true.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Our school have just sent their plan out. It seems like 5 in reception are going (out of 23ish), and then 15 out of something like 35-40 in Year 6. If I'm reading it correctly no one in year 1 (?!) is going back. They'll keep them in three bubbles (the KW kids in the third) not mixing. School closed fridays for cleaning and staff prep. To wear non school uniform.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Academies are free to make their own rules, yes.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Wow, that’s not many at all.

So far the only detailed plan our school have sent out is for drop off/pick ups which they seem to have thought about sensibly. Nothing about class sizes, different days, teachers, bubbles but they want us to let them know by of the week, so maybe we’ll get more detailed guidance once they have more idea of numbers. (I think Liv will go).
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I'm really surprised at how few are going as well Smalex - you said there was a lot of peer pressure in the Year 1 Whatsapp didn't you?

I think E will go as well emma_p - I have no idea how many will/ won't in her Reception class as the class WhatsApp has been uncharacteristically silent on the point.

One's of E's best friends came round to say goodbye yesterday as her parents have made the snap decision to move to Wales today - it was really sad actually as they were both just really shy - she's really missing friends her own age.
smalex

Post by smalex »

The Reception whatsapp was bad, apparently. I don't know anyone in Yr 1. Apparently it is less than 20 kids though, and a couple are going back but as KW places. But does look roughly to be 20%. I do wonder if it'll go up a bit if the CV stats keep improving and it becomes a bit less....socially unacceptable... to send them back.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Oh that’s sad about E’s friend :cry:

Liv is really missing her friends too. We just had to walk to the next street to deliver a card she made for the kids of a family diagonally opposite from our back garden. Liv has made friends with them by singing the Frozen II calling song out of her window at them! She was so happy when they sang back to her and they have been chatting every day since.
Little My

Post by Little My »

That's really sweet, Emma.

Poor E and her friend. :cry:

Will kids be wearing masks to school, do you think?
smalex

Post by smalex »

They haven't said so.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Not the very younger ones - I think there is something in the guidance about them needing to be able to adjust the mask safely themselves.

Emma - that's so sweet. My friend's daughter and her neighbour have made friends by passing notes through their fence.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

smalex wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:43 pm I do wonder if it'll go up a bit if the CV stats keep improving and it becomes a bit less....socially unacceptable... to send them back.
That seems unfair. Perhaps if the stats keep improving it will feel less risky to send them back, rather than more socially acceptable?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Loralei wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:05 pm
smalex wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:43 pm I do wonder if it'll go up a bit if the CV stats keep improving and it becomes a bit less....socially unacceptable... to send them back.
That seems unfair. Perhaps if the stats keep improving it will feel less risky to send them back, rather than more socially acceptable?
Well, yes. I probably am being a bit unfair- I certainly don't mean that anyone who sends them back later was only prevented from doing so because of social pressure, but guess I mean people who'd like to send them back now but aren't because it feels socially unacceptable. Maybe there aren't that many people in that boat, but I wouldn't be surprised, given reaction has been so fierce.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

None in Y1! Gosh! I do think that it might be really hard for the little ones to grasp but I thought at least some would go.

The school here have promised that we can review it regularly and if things change and it becomes safer, he can go in.

I think the Government will back down too which pisses me off as schools have done (wasted) so much time on this if it’s all cancelled anyway.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Some decisive leadership would be helpful. It seems so odd not to open up schools to all kids.

With our in-person schooling cancelled until September, it just makes my mind wander to what that will look like. We've been told the plan will be announced next month, and I have no idea what to expect really other than for it to be very different from normal. I also wonder what extracurriculars will look like in the Fall, and have said I would return as a Guide leader but now I'm not so sure about that. Will anyone even register?!
smalex

Post by smalex »

The whole of Yr 1 is less than 20 apparently, and one of my friends thinks 1 or 2 are going back but they count as KW so might be put in that group. But even so, its very low.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

P still says no after reviewing the measures, and they rang him as the first contact so he just said she wouldn’t be back with no questions. The teacher (not Elvis’s) said we can change our mind at a later date.

I’ve now tasked him with establishing what she’ll be doing whilst Sproglette is working on the set Y4 work, because the trust have said they won’t be setting work for children who’ve opted to stay home.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I thought they had to Wendy!