Lockdown (And Beyond) Hatchlings

Cerise

Re: Lockdown Hatchlings

Post by Cerise »

Luce wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:55 pm Yep, Theo prefers that option too!

Division. I hate division. I hated it at school, I hate it now, it’s like a foreign language. And I need to come up with inventive and creative ways (two things I am not) to make a 7 year old understand.
What kind of numbers are we talking (how big)? I might be able to help with some ideas.
Elya

Post by Elya »

I don’t have anything to add really that hasn’t already been said. Just that we are not teachers and that the idea that children can do the same amount of work at home as they can in school is a complete nonsense. Even if you have nothing else to do with your day.
Little My

Post by Little My »

smalex wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:05 pm

THAT was the thing that tipped me over the edge last time. You've reminded me. Kids IN SCHOOL getting awards, like the rest of them didn't sodding exist anymore.
So it's basically 100% a teaching tool, and not actually a real reward. I should start implementing the prize bin at home. :))

I am doing very little of the teaching this time. Yesterday I had to monitor a multiplication test and explain similes, but that was it. I'm so worried that they are not doing everything they should though, and it will come crashing down.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Maybe school assumed we were all giving out Student Of The Week awards at home?*

All in all the first two weeks has been ok. But if I recall from last time the first two weeks felt ok, it was just the next 23 that made me lose my grip on reality :puppy: :twitch:

*I am in the form of chocolate, PS4 time and not getting a screaming bollocking.
viggy

Post by viggy »

I'd promised for my own sake I was going to be a lot more zen and prioritise BM's emotional wellbeing this time around, but she's already in the habit of talking to me like absolute dirt, right from the start of the day. In normal times if she's cheeky/snide, drawing attention to her tone is enough to get her to apologise, but she's started digging her heels in and doubling down instead.

It's like she's constantly trying to pick a fight. Last lockdown I had a month of constant fever/illness, was weak and exhausted and scared and ended up shouting back at her or coming down hard, which just made everything spiral out of control. So I know that's not the answer. It feels like a very fine line between being calm and empathetic, and just being treated like an emotional punchbag though.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Little My wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:39 pm So it's basically 100% a teaching tool, and not actually a real reward. I should start implementing the prize bin at home. :))
I have done this. I panic bought some scented felt tips, a magazine and made a couple of gift vouchers for a takeaway for dinner (an idea I've been keen to step since Olive mentioned it in her advent calendar) and the like. I'd be livid if school publically gave those children receiving an education and social contact prizes as well.

I will be amazed if schools go back but am desperately clinging on to a hope that younger children will go first because they don't transmit the virus as much.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Thanks Cerise. We use Lego bricks. We’ll count out 15 and I’ll ask him to put them into three groups and tell me how many is then in each group. It’s kind of 5 times tables so division within that. I can show him that 20 divided by 5 is 4. He cannot then make the leap that 20 divided by 4 is 5. Or that 4x5 has to be 20. Sometimes he gets it, sometimes he doesn’t.

School have given me ideas that we’re already doing so it’s not helping at all. Honestly, I’m being so churlish, literally the only thing that will help is them being back at school. Teachers train for years on how make things make sense or make them interesting. I’m just really conscious of how far behind everyone is.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Sharing pepperoni on a (drawn) pizza often worked well. But it is practise, practise, practise!
Little My

Post by Little My »

Takeout voucher is a great idea!

I need to figure out how to make my kids do their music practice each day. I've just not been on their cases with normal homework like I usually would, and so they're taking advantage.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Cerise wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:54 pm Sharing pepperoni on a (drawn) pizza often worked well. But it is practise, practise, practise!
Thank you!
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

We've just got our work for next week, and because it's Burns Night on the 25th, I've got to get J to learn and record him reading a poem and a Ceilidh dance. FML.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Luce wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:32 pm
Cerise wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:54 pm Sharing pepperoni on a (drawn) pizza often worked well. But it is practise, practise, practise!
Thank you!
I remember exactly this frustration from last time. The main experience teachers have over us - as Cerise shows - is knowing they have to do it over and over; I kept expecting a lightbulb moment when it would fall into place. If it helps, the one thing that has improved TD's maths since March, both in school and out, is using Hit The Button (times tables games) on his tablet :look: We now have a deal that he has to do ten minutes (which is actually 15 :shh: ) before he can play Minion Rush.
Glint

Post by Glint »

Rhod, I'm sorry, Rabbie can really go fuck himself. We've got some Burns to do but haven't looked at it in detail.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Glint wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:58 am Rhod, I'm sorry, Rabbie can really go fuck himself. We've got some Burns to do but haven't looked at it in detail.
I don't quite know how to get him to learn a dance without me being in the video too?! Maybe he can do the Dashing White Sergeant by himself!

I've also got to get him to make some soup, create and play a haggis drive and make a Glasgow Rose.
Glint

Post by Glint »

Do you have a big Teddy he could use and do the Gay Gordon's?

I've never heard of a Glasgow rose :shame:
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I think it's just a Charles Rennie Mackintosh style of rose.

Great idea to use a teddy!
smalex

Post by smalex »

W did LOADS of hit the button a couple of years ago when he was struggling with basic number bonds and tables and it really did help.
I feel your pain though Luce. I remember in LD1 when W had to divide 90 by 2 or something and I ended up trying to get him to divide 9 by 2 because 90 was beyond him, but he still couldn't do it so I got 9 pencils and he sorted them into 2 groups- ok, so there's 4 in each group and 1 left over? Ok great...So what would 1 divided into 2 be? 1/2, ok good, so what is 9 divided into 2 groups? .......er....6? :ruby: I actually cried.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I shall get Hit the Button, thanks! We tried TimesTables rockstars yesterday and the 20 minutes of sobbing after are still haunting me a bit. It is the countdown timer thingy, it stresses him out so much poor lad. He cannot do 7x5 in seconds. If I had 5 minutes to explain (again) how times tables work then fine. But I feel like he'll need weeks and weeks until he's confident enough to try again. Urgh.

Smal, I can FEEL that. THIS IS AWFUL!
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I absolutely cannot teach my own kids. It is AWFUL.

I spoke to Joe on a video call this morning and it came up in conversation that homeschool would probably last longer. He looked so defeated.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

The primary school here has gone down the bribery route with £5 Amazon vouchers every week.

1 chance if you do guided reading, literacy and maths.
2 chances if you do all work
3 chances if you do all your work beautifully presented.