Lockdown (And Beyond) Hatchlings

Luce

Re: Lockdown Hatchlings

Post by Luce »

I ordered the 7 pack of tests, they arrived the next day! I’m only testing Theo and then either me or T to make them last longer. F is getting his through the school*. I think it’s saying they’re not required to (like secondary kids) but you can if you like. Theo did his last night, it was super easy.

*F’s school testing went really well today, it was Year 7 and Year 11/13 so it was either tiny, large-eyed babies or massive adults. It went so smoothly/quickly that we were able to finish early! I got called ‘Miss!’ all morning which was hilarious.
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

First day back went so well - he was genuinely thrilled to be back and to my utter amazement was perfectly happy to wear a mask and do the covid test (he won't even wear a plaster normally). I was a bit nervous about it all as my dad (who lives with us) is on the shielding list but he's vaccinated, as am I and at least two of the three teachers so we'll just distance at home.

Heebie, our guidelines are no attendance with anything, even a sniffle. It's a pain but sensible to me, as some people could really stretch their definition of sniffles ;)
smalex

Post by smalex »

Mine did too, I was quite impressed by the speed. I don't know whether to test us all and just reorder a lot or concentrate on testing W on the basis of him going to school, or me on the basis of leaving the house more or S because I'm vaccinated so (hopefully, if it works) I shouldn't get it even if W brings it home. Or just rotate a bit between us.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I got some in the post this morning too. I was so surprised as I think I only ordered them on Saturday!
Luce

Post by Luce »

I’ve found the whole postal service with testing to be absolutely amazing so far. I’ve done a few of the pcr tests at home and in one case I had results back within 36 hours of even ordering the test. When you consider that included them posting it to me and me posting it back. Amazing, I think.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Luce wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:03 pm *F’s school testing went really well today, it was Year 7 and Year 11/13 so it was either tiny, large-eyed babies or massive adults. It went so smoothly/quickly that we were able to finish early! I got called ‘Miss!’ all morning which was hilarious.
:)) Ours all managed really well too. They were dramatic afterwards about how terrible it was but they all lined up beautifully and we're very sensible. Was F OK, after being worried earlier?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Is anyone else being invited to parents evening (remotely)? My nephew's is tomorrow :mog: even though his teacher will have had him for two school days since December. We're getting one the week after next so we can see how they're settling back in. From a teacher who isn't even there?!

Is there something that says schools have to host one now?! It seems a bit silly when we could all have it in, say May or something.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Mine’s tomorrow!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Parents' Evenings are, regrettably, statutory. I think you have to stick to your published dates too. I might be wrong about that but school calendars are insane. If you move a parents evening it's like a butterfly flapping its wings in chaos theory.

I did a remote one last week and the SAM's is coming up. I loved being beamed into people's lounges and seeing their dog etc. :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

Its utterly batshit, particularly in our case. I really feel like I'll be able to tell them more about how he's progressed and settled back in?
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

We've had a letter today saying they're restructuring school hours permanently from August. I'm sure the teachers have nothing else to deal with :))
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I went down to the test centre and picked up two packs of 7 this afternoon. Squeak and I have tried one each.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Ruby wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:48 pm Parents' Evenings are, regrettably, statutory. I think you have to stick to your published dates too. I might be wrong about that but school calendars are insane. If you move a parents evening it's like a butterfly flapping its wings in chaos theory.
That's interesting - how many are supposed to be held a year? We normally have 3 a year (usually just after the Oct and Feb half terms and one right at the end of the year after reports) but we missed the Feb one last year, and there have been no signs of it happening this year either.

Mine were fine today. A left 25 minutes early she was so keen (there's a small playground outside the school and the Y6 entrance is right next to it, so they tend to hang out there before school and their teacher just calls them in when it's time to go in). I thought E might be a bit shy (she was very clingy going in in the summer after they'd been off) but she was fine - properly knackered afterwards though.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

S said the testing went OK at his school but he had to break up three fights! Some of these kids really needed to let off steam.
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

How are they being restructured, Smunder?

Our parents night is in two weeks and I'm perfectly happy not to have to go in and do it virtually, I hope they keep that! It does seem a bit pointless though.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Blimey, 3 fights!

F was fine, thanks for asking Ruby. Typically, I’ve lost sleep over absolutely nothing and it seems as long as I’m not there, everything is super easy for him. I’m actually starting to think between that and my home-schooling attempts that I’m the one responsible for really holding the children back :look:
Luce

Post by Luce »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:01 pm I went down to the test centre and picked up two packs of 7 this afternoon. Squeak and I have tried one each.
Did you enjoy it? I felt like I was playing with a chemistry lab and so loved it :))
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It was kind of fun being a scientist. My nose tickled a bit.

What was funny was getting a text from the NHS to tell me the results of the tests that I reported to them.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Yes, it’s so weird that!
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

How have the Hatchlings taken to their return to school? It's gone pretty smoothly here but I struggled to get a jumper for Elf and Betty came home from school to say she's destroyed her school shoes. They were fine when she went in on the morning and she came home with the sole half hanging off! Luckily they both seem to be enjoying being back but Elf was shattered! It is Cube's first day today and he seemed excited when he left for school. It's his lunch in 15 minte so I'm wondering if I'll get a text.

Another local school has been absolutely awful though! No understanding whatsoever that people have struggled to source school uniform for those who have grown. Lots of children suspended for not having appropriate uniform and there was a queue for lunchtime detention for those who forgot rulers and pencils. Apparently the school aren't allowed to let a pupil borrow a ruler but they're fully expected to make them wear 'shared' shoes. It seems a bit harsh!