University advice needed

Estrella

Re: University advice needed

Post by Estrella »

Is she at Edi? I did the 4 year MA (Hons) there but my best friend at that time left at the end of third year and was awarded an MA Ordinary. So she may well end up with a degree even if she does leave now (this was 20 years ago though so may have changed).
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

No the other side :))

I've just looked at the SAAS site and she wouldn't be eligible again for funding until she was over 25 and returning after three years away from full time education.

I feel that she revels in making things so fucking hard for herself.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Sky

Post by Sky »

Estrella wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:52 pm Is she at Edi? I did the 4 year MA (Hons) there but my best friend at that time left at the end of third year and was awarded an MA Ordinary. So she may well end up with a degree even if she does leave now (this was 20 years ago though so may have changed).
ORLY? My brother did philosophy and Japanese there and bailed after third year but I’m not sure whether he was awarded anything and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t. He always said he’d complete the degree via OU or whatever but mental health issues got in the way and so he hasn’t so far but I don’t know if he regrets his decision as I’ve never asked plus haven’t seen him for three years. It does feel like such a shame though as he was so close plus all his class, including his gf, graduated.
nineseven wrote:What's the point in being slim if you have to stay indoors all the time, leaking from your anus?
http://www.justgiving.com/Pamela-Ward" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I was at Glasgow and that was the deal there but its not an automatic award (of an ordinary degree) You have to agree it with the university and they have to check that you've met the requirement. He could definitely get in touch with them though and find out his options.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

It's often not as simple as completing via another institution by just doing an extra year at a different time. Often there's limits on how many credits from elsewhere you can use, so most commonly it would just knock a year off rather than leave her with the one year to go.

I'd massively advise her against it, and I say this as someone who dropped out of a physical university degree after one year, and abandoned a couple of OU degrees after one year or half a year equivalents. I'd have a very different opinion if she'd not done as much but I think she's crazy not to just carry on -it's not even another year, it's just two terms really, and if a good proportion of that is doing a dissertation it'll be a very different experience anyway. Having a full degree with not the best result is much better than just ending up with an ordinary degree or certificate or something.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm not sure from her post what exactly her issues are? I've moved away from Eng lit now but it is my background, my PhD and I used to teach it so if I can be of any help I'd be happy to email her or something?
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Also on the three years being a full degree at other unis thing, it's because her first year was a level below the first year in three year degrees, so she's only studied at undergraduate level for two years so far, if that makes sense? So effectively it's like she did a foundation year at an English or Welsh uni.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Yep the Scottish system is different, we do Highers which are a year and that is the qualification that qualifies you for Uni. Now when I went to Uni I took my first year to be the equivalent of the English A level, but I have no experience of the English system really.

Her situation is - had a great 2 years, high marks tons of enthusiasm.

Year 3 it started to fall apart, she fought for a diagnosis, got it, and then decided with my support that she'd be better taking a year out, her advisors agreed with this wholeheartedly.

Year 3 - started off well, personal issues had been resolved but C19 happened and she's in a tailspin, work has been stressful as she was classed as a key worker.

She's a perfectionist but also extremely sensitive so she wafts around campus a lot being pretentious and getting side-tracked fighting other folk's battles. She's always been the same so if she's telling the whole truth she has tons of partially completed work that can be submitted with minimal reworking.

Her boyfriend has completed the same degree and has qualified as a teacher so I would imagine he can proofread some of her work and edit out the shite.

As much as I love her, she suffers from 'starving artist in a garret syndrome and I think she needs to get over herself a good bit.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
sally maclennane

I think the wafting around campus thing is quite common there, I suspect I was rather prone to it myself :lol: Those quadrangles are ideal for a bit of a waft!

She is so close, I really hope she stays and gets her degree.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I finally spoke to her yesterday and what I've discovered is:

1. there are some pieces of work that she hasn't submitted for this year but that can (with a bit of head's down attitude) be recovered and submitted. The work is mainly done so nothing is her starting from scratch.
2. The Uni has went completely silent, not responding to anything at all. So I've told her this is a gift she can use it to her advantage.
3. She's been under a lot of stress at work, a whistleblower has highlighted certain working practices and taken them public. She's also been prevented from taking a weekend off in over 8 months which is so against the rules I can't even begin with that. Her and some other employees have joined a union and they're taking advice.
4. Due to all of this she's been doing her usual avoidance tactic of injecting herself into other people's problems, which is great to be a supportive friend but not at the detriment of herself.

Long story short she's staying at Uni, we'll come up with a plan of attack for Uni, get her boyfriend (newly qualified teacher with same degree) to help and hopefully it'll be a blip by Christmas.

In hindsight I should've let her leave two years ago and reapply to another university with more support but it is what it is.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm really pleased she's staying.
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

That’s a good outcome. You must be very relieved.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Thanks everyone for the advice and offers to reach out. It's much appreciated.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I’m really pleased you had a good chat with her, and well done her for taking this route.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I'm so pleased she's seeing it through.
Sky

Post by Sky »

That's really good news, Duo. She's come so far that it would be such a shame to leave now.
nineseven wrote:What's the point in being slim if you have to stay indoors all the time, leaking from your anus?
http://www.justgiving.com/Pamela-Ward" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roma

Post by Roma »

That is really good news.
sally maclennane

Glad to hear it!
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Oh that's great Duo, I had no useful advice but it would have been such a shame for her to leave so late in the game.
Tits McGee
Topaz Titanium

Post by Tits McGee »

That’s great Duo!
I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster