10 weeks to go

Squirrel

10 weeks to go

Post by Squirrel »

... until Christmas. The countdown is on as I am terrible at gift buying so I need to get on top of it before it gets too stressful.

My children are 9 and 7. I've only got a few things on the list so far:
For both - some chocolate balls that melt in hot milk, with marshmallows inside
These History Heroes card games: https://www.historyheroes.co.uk/product ... ard-games/

For my daughter, I like the look of this x-ray game:
https://www.wickeduncle.co.uk/childrens ... nder-x-ray

Maybe some more Gravitrax for G.

I wondered what ideas other people have? Apologies if this is too early, but I feel like I need to get started.
smalex

Re: 10 weeks to go

Post by smalex »

Well I think we're decided on a PS4 for W. He also needs new books, and we're going to get (or in reality give away because all his grandparents are leeches when it comes to ideas) a Whizz Pop Bang subscription.

That's as far as I've got so far (ideas, nothing actually bought).
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

A PS4 is very exciting! We've got an ancient second hand X box, I might see if there are any games I could get for it, that's a good idea. Although it's probably a bit obsolete now. We've got Sonic racing, a couple of different Lego ones, a platform game that is apparently too difficult, and Tony Hawk.

I've just started a subscription to The Week Junior and Science & Nature, I should have waited :duh:.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

So far I’ve ordered this periodic table book and jigsaw for J (12):

https://www.bookdepository.com/Periodic ... 328&sr=1-1

And this doodle book for D (9):

https://www.bookdepository.com/Periodic ... 328&sr=1-1
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I love this! I want it! (For me, 44 :lol: )
rosy

Post by rosy »

:panic: i have started to make lists but my brain is so full of anxiety about everything that there seems to be no room for present ideas. Normally I’ve sent my eldest son C’s present (lots of British chocolate) to the USA by now in case of delays but I don’t know if that’s even allowed now. I will be making some matching makeup bags and jewellery rolls for my nieces but that’s as far as I’ve got.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Oooh, that's cool, Cerise. I think my B would like that a lot.

I have birthdays to shop for before xmas, and all I've bought so far is a book for R. Sleepover quiz questions ( for virtual sleepovers for the foreseeable!) because she is obsessed with multiple choice quizzes.

It looks like we will be doing big tech gifts this year. R would like a new iPad, and B would like a PS5. Between that and the kittens they have enough in the budget for a boiled sweet each, really.
Last edited by Little My on Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I was thinking about buying Adam Kays book for TTN, it looks interesting and well done ( a children's anatomy book)

Also, has C got the Midnight Stories books? TTN loved those (as her cheeky father said "it's not Christmas unless your aunty Karen buys you a worthy book :lg: )
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Squirrel wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:59 pm
I love this! I want it! (For me, 44 :lol: )
Er, yeah. J’s not even that fond of jigsaws! :lol: :look:
viggy

Post by viggy »

BM saw an advert for one of those bar things that go across a doorframe and can be a swing, gymnastics rings, rope ladder etc. It's £140 which isn't cheap, but it might just save us during a lockdown winter
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Mine are obviously a bit older, but in case anyone wants any ideas for older girls, mine so far each have a beauty advent calendar, plus a folding table top mirror with lots of different magnifying bits.
Tits McGee
Topaz Titanium

Post by Tits McGee »

viggy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:31 pm BM saw an advert for one of those bar things that go across a doorframe and can be a swing, gymnastics rings, rope ladder etc. It's £140 which isn't cheap, but it might just save us during a lockdown winter
I would absolutely get this for L if we had somewhere safe for it! Our doors either have glass panels or are too near the top of the stairs, and L isn’t the best for looking where she’s walking never mind anything else. :))

I’ve been trying to get her to write her letter to Santa early, because once it’s written she doesn’t change her mind about it. :mrgreen: So far she’s asked for something called Stuffaloons, which involves putting soft toys inside balloons (?) and a moving robot she can build herself with metal and screws, which might be a bit tricky to find for a 7-year-old.

I’ve already got her some Gravitrax, because she’s really into watching marble run videos on YouTube and she’s been playing with her wooden marble run for years now, so I’m glad G likes his!

The Pierre the Maze Detective books were a great hit last year, so I’ll probably get her the latest one of those, and some different Lego base plates because they’d make the Lego she already has a bit more usable.
I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

viggy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:31 pm BM saw an advert for one of those bar things that go across a doorframe and can be a swing, gymnastics rings, rope ladder etc. It's £140 which isn't cheap, but it might just save us during a lockdown winter
What are these called please?
Tits McGee
Topaz Titanium

Post by Tits McGee »

The one I’ve seen is called Gorilla Gym.
I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster
viggy

Post by viggy »

Yes, Gorilla Gym was the one I saw too
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

S (turned 7 today) wants a skateboard, so that is likely to be his main present (by the time we get the protective gear etc). I have no ideas for J (9) so will be reading with interest. He'd love a Switch, but I am trying to avoid him spending too much time on scenes, so am hoping to avoid that...
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

So far we have a load of Little People stuff (ark, house, snow White House, zoo, fairground, farm buildings, quarry, race track), a Leapfrog house, a post box and a play kitchen.

I want to get a mini trampoline too and possibly a busy board and some books.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I have bought the festive pyjamas and pants :toot: so far, as M&S kindly gave me 15% off the other day. I've also bought the prerequisite Beano, Dandy and Match annuals, and the Guinness Book of Records :love:

J is getting a Kindle (e-reader) as he keeps swiping his dad's; they have the same taste in fiction so he wants to raid our libraries.

Berty wants a FitBit and, while I don't object to her tracking her activity, I'm a bit worried she'll lose it, so we might get her a cheaper tracker to see how she gets on.

I'm not sure what to get TD. He wants a scooter but, as J is getting one for his birthday (next week) he may as well have his old one. He likes Playmobil, so that's my fallback option.

The history cards and periodic table jigsaw are great! I reckon they might find their way into someone's stocking!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Little My wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:04 pm Between that and the kittens they have enough in the budget for a boiled sweet each, really.
:mrgreen:

P picked up some pyjamas when he had a 15% off week but that’s it so far. Neither of them have any ideas, other than Sproglette needs a new bike but she’s earmarked birthday and Christmas money from her grandparents for that.

I have some Wonder Woman fat quarters and cushion pads squirrelled away and was also thinking of making a small cosmetic bag and filling with make up.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve got birthdays for both of mine in November to contend with as well as Christmas and have been struggling.

J is getting a Jurassic World Lego set and a Lakers basketball. S is getting a meet the wombat experience at Australia Zoo, a Crayola light up tracing board and a loom band kit.

Christmas we are thinking of getting them a blow up kayak as a sharing present