What will you be stockpiling?

Chicky

Re: What will you be stockpiling?

Post by Chicky »

If you are on anything other than a 28 day repeat Shoe then I’d keep quiet. The pharmacist said they were meant to be cutting everyone down to that so if you are on a longer repeat then keep under the radar. I’m investigating buying what I need online or from overseas.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

What have the Romans ever given us?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

England vs Scotland NHS though Chicky, there may well be different rules - maybe ask a Pharmacist first Shoe, before alerting your Doctor to it?
Margo

Post by Margo »

Christ. Are we really having to discuss this? It’s frightening that this may become our reality, scrabbling for supplies like some third world country :(
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I'll ask at the local pharmacy before booking an appointment.

Do we actually think we might lose power? I haven't even begun to worry about that yet. So much to panic about and so little time. :ruby:
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Blimey, I was going to say that while certain food issues would be likely, medicine would surely be fine, but that's pretty scary that it's already been mentioned.
Margo

Post by Margo »

Quite. I take 4 prescription meds daily. Wibble.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I'm on a two month repeat, but manage my own doses so could probably halve meds in the short term if necessary.

C is coeliac so I'll make sure I've got a reasonable back up of GF bread/ pasta/ flour otherwise I'll be buggered for his lunches.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I haven't read anything anywhere about power issues. The supply issues all emerge from losing access to the Single Market and Custom's Union. So a massive bugger up of import and export because no-one can yet agree what checks should be made on what at which borders.

In a No Deal Brexit, this will be a bloody awful. In a Hard Brexit (ie, deal done before 31 March) there should be contingency or even transition period which reduces impact.

I mean, do feel free to worry, it'll be a shitshow of some form or another, but I don't think the lights are going to go out midnight on the 31st then we all immediately commence eating our neighbours and going full The Road.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

But the immigrants!!
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

It's like Y2k all over again.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Let's hope so, that was a massive anti-climax. :mog:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hannieroo wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 amWhat have the Romans ever given us?
It really is like this isn’t it. What a horrible, depressing shame it all is.

I’m going to start skipping one or two ADs a week and banking them, which I know I can do without suffering effects.

And stockpile jarred pesto for my children.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

I doubt the EU is worrying how to stockpile Wensleydale or haggis.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Bat Macdui wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:08 pm I haven't read anything anywhere about power issues. The supply issues all emerge from losing access to the Single Market and Custom's Union. So a massive bugger up of import and export because no-one can yet agree what checks should be made on what at which borders.

In a No Deal Brexit, this will be a bloody awful. In a Hard Brexit (ie, deal done before 31 March) there should be contingency or even transition period which reduces impact.

I mean, do feel free to worry, it'll be a shitshow of some form or another, but I don't think the lights are going to go out midnight on the 31st then we all immediately commence eating our neighbours and going full The Road.
I don't think we will be plunged into eternal darkness either, but I do think that short-term cuts will become more common, and it will do no harm to be prepared.

https://www.adeltd.co.uk/blog/blackouts ... ricity.php

Admittedly, this is from a source that is selling power products, but it is first on the list of hits when you google 'Power Cuts Brexit'. There are lots of other articles, too. I can't remember what I read that made me think there would be cuts, but I was convinced, and I don't think I am particularly alarmist.

Quite apart from Brexit, I also think that having an emergency box is a good idea, even if it's never used. If someone cuts through a cable outside and the power goes off, for instance, it's handy to know where everything is (particularly if you are looking about in the dark).
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Shoe wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:02 pm Let's hope so, that was a massive anti-climax. :mog:
To be fair, almost definitely only because so much time was spent by companies / governments preparing for it.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Also nobody seriously thought Y2K would be an issue. A lot of people made good money saying it would be, mind.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I'm quite worried about running out of omeprazole. I'd rather be without my sertraline and fully nuts.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

This is the most depressing thread ever.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Squirrel wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 pm And stockpile jarred pesto for my children.
Sorry, but this made me hoot!

It is very worrying though. I'm going to clear out a few shelves in the wardrobe to start a stash of essentials.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.