That's not a real name!

Estrella

Re: That's not a real name!

Post by Estrella »

J would’ve been an Emma if he was a girl. Such a born in the late 70s/early 80s popular name. But I love it. There was a baby Laura in my 2013 mums group which is my actual name, but one you don’t often hear for a baby these days.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Squirrel wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:10 pm Do you mean did I mind having a friend with the same name? No not at all, I’m happy to share my name with anyone who is happy to share their name with me :)). The other Squirrel was a good friend too and our last names were next to each other in the alphabet so it felt special that we were Squirrel X and Squirrel Y.
Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you for satisfying my curiosity. :))
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Weird Nonce and Creepy Nonce
Malan
Little My

Post by Little My »

Not A Nonce is about the best you could hope for.

I find Atticus is solely in the domain of Loud_Parenting types. Where as Oscar is fairly common.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Estrella wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:16 pm J would’ve been an Emma if he was a girl. Such a born in the late 70s/early 80s popular name. But I love it. There was a baby Laura in my 2013 mums group which is my actual name, but one you don’t often hear for a baby these days.
I love Emma as a name. Had you changed your mind about it by the time you had S?

My name is hideously common. It was the top name the year I was born but my mum claims she had never heard anyone else use it. Funnily enough there weren't many others at school but in work there's loads. I was one of 4 at one point. On top of all that, its now used as an insult for women of a certain age :lg:

Viggy, I think Felix and Oscar are both lovely names and probably not many people of our/their generation would associate the names with the programme. I think a lot of older people would though so I guess you'd have to figure out if it would bother you, being mentioned by them (it's the sort of thing my mum would definitely comment on "oh, like The Odd Couple" while I hissed at her to shush :lol: )
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

My cousin called her son E;than J ohn Bloggs, and my mum still (10 + years later) scornfully refers to him as Elton John. :puzz: There'll always be someone to find a tenuous link to something. At my advanced age (43) I've only vaguely heard of The Odd Couple, and not of the characters' actual names.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I wouldn't make the connection either.

Elf has two middle names that are the same as the main characters in a sparkly vampire movie. When he was first born lots of people asked if/assumed that I was a fan of that trilogy. I'm not. It made me wonder if I'd done the right thing but nobody asks any more.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

I know someone who has now called her dog the same name as Hop, and then in the park the other day I heard someone else shout it towards a gambolling pug. I hope my poor wee sausage doesn’t end up with the 2020s’ most popular puppy name, but what can I do? I had a friend and cat called Nikki when I was growing up, and we all muddled through with very limited confusion for the most part. ;)
viggy

Post by viggy »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:17 pm Viggy, I think Felix and Oscar are both lovely names and probably not many people of our/their generation would associate the names with the programme. I think a lot of older people would though so I guess you'd have to figure out if it would bother you, being mentioned by them (it's the sort of thing my mum would definitely comment on "oh, like The Odd Couple" while I hissed at her to shush :lol: )
That’s EXACTLY what my parents would do, too :lol:

Someone last year looked at their newborn son and thought “yeah, let’s call him Otter”. Suddenly Atticus looks positively mundane :))
viggy

Post by viggy »

I know I’ve probably bored you all with this story before, but years ago I read an article about an architect/interior designer who had three sons: Milo, Rufus and Otis, and his three dogs were called something like John, David and Barry :))
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:17 pm
Estrella wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:16 pm J would’ve been an Emma if he was a girl. Such a born in the late 70s/early 80s popular name. But I love it. There was a baby Laura in my 2013 mums group which is my actual name, but one you don’t often hear for a baby these days.
I love Emma as a name. Had you changed your mind about it by the time you had S?

My name is hideously common. It was the top name the year I was born but my mum claims she had never heard anyone else use it. Funnily enough there weren't many others at school but in work there's loads. I was one of 4 at one point. On top of all that, its now used as an insult for women of a certain age :lg:

Viggy, I think Felix and Oscar are both lovely names and probably not many people of our/their generation would associate the names with the programme. I think a lot of older people would though so I guess you'd have to figure out if it would bother you, being mentioned by them (it's the sort of thing my mum would definitely comment on "oh, like The Odd Couple" while I hissed at her to shush :lol: )
We had chosen Emma early on so associated it with that pregnancy and felt S deserved a name that was all hers.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Leap wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:58 pm I know someone who has now called her dog the same name as Hop, and then in the park the other day I heard someone else shout it towards a gambolling pug. I hope my poor wee sausage doesn’t end up with the 2020s’ most popular puppy name, but what can I do? I had a friend and cat called Nikki when I was growing up, and we all muddled through with very limited confusion for the most part. ;)
My children’s names have always featured in the top 10 dog names. T couldn’t find a key ring with his name on it when we were on holiday so has a little dog tag in the shape of a bone with his name. :))
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Estrella wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:28 am
sally maclennane wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:17 pm

We had chosen Emma early on so associated it with that pregnancy and felt S deserved a name that was all hers.
Ah, I get that :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

olive wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:03 am
Leap wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:58 pm I know someone who has now called her dog the same name as Hop, and then in the park the other day I heard someone else shout it towards a gambolling pug. I hope my poor wee sausage doesn’t end up with the 2020s’ most popular puppy name, but what can I do? I had a friend and cat called Nikki when I was growing up, and we all muddled through with very limited confusion for the most part. ;)
My children’s names have always featured in the top 10 dog names. T couldn’t find a key ring with his name on it when we were on holiday so has a little dog tag in the shape of a bone with his name. :))
:lol:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I love T’s dog tag key ring! :lol:

To be honest, I think Atticus is as odd a name to saddle a kid with as Tiga-Lily, but I suppose we are less judgey of a name that suggests gently bred as opposed to council estate bred.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Do we think any poor children born this weekend will be saddled with Platinum or Jubilee?
viggy

Post by viggy »

I’ll call the twins Platty and Joobs :ruby:
Jet

Post by Jet »

I know a Jubilee. She’s 12 though. Her brother is called Felix. I also know very not posh Oscar and Atticus (not related).

L’s class appears to have multiple Bellas and Olivias and they go by BellaB (Bellabeee) and BellaR (Bellaaaarrr) and Olivia and Olivia*lastname* - I’m not sure how they landed one one standalone Olivia :lol:
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

viggy wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:55 pm I’ll call the twins Platty and Joobs :ruby:
:lol: this shortening has been all over my social media all weekend and it’s so annoying. I don’t know why it’s triggering me so much.

There are lots of Bella’s and Olivia’s in the boys grades too, the ‘O’ in Olivia is very over enunciated.

T also has 2 Lila’s who also have the same last initial. They’re known as Nice Lila and the Other Lila who is apparently not very nice.

* I really wanted to be called Lila when I was younger thanks to Sweet Valley High.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Ohmygod, I used to know a TERRIBLE Lila. Her mother was also terrible, and I always suspected she admired rather than loathed the SVH character. :lol: