What will you be stockpiling?

Ella77

Re: What will you be stockpiling?

Post by Ella77 »

overthehill wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:36 pm Paracetamol and antihistamine. Yeah, I know I live in Ireland, but we always stockpile these things when we're in the UK as they're cheaper in the supermarkets, so ...
Gee, thanks.

As long as it’s not anywhere Europe, mince :sman:.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Mince :lol:.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

As long as you send us pictures of your meals, that's okay.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Mince! I have at least 30 different ways to present corned beef, cabbage and potatoes after Baku. Admittedly L will never eat the 3 in any combo again but he didn't starve. And the Dingle gas meant sometimes it was BBQ'd. Expat living the dream.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I will tell my Mum to add corned beef to her stockpile list tonight. :)) She makes a pretty good corned beef hash. There's chickens at my meditation class*, I could always rob the odd egg for topping now and then.

*It's at a community farm, the chickens don't meditate
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:12 pm
overthehill wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:36 pm Paracetamol and antihistamine. Yeah, I know I live in Ireland, but we always stockpile these things when we're in the UK as they're cheaper in the supermarkets, so ...
Gee, thanks.

As long as it’s not anywhere Europe, mince :sman:.
:lol:

Mince is my Brexit name.

And it will not be Europe!
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Our local farm shop sells 24 eggs for £3.50 so that one doesn't worry me. Milk, we have a walkable dairy that fills your own container.

I'm thinking more lidl jarred veg (tomatoes, courgettes etc), freezing my own broccoli etc and things like chorizo and arborio rice which I don't overbuy and maybe using the utility room windowsill for a homegrown lettuce, herbs etc as that has been a thing for us recently with the whole no co2 thing.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Do they have to import hen feed, is the question?
smalex

Post by smalex »

I wish there was a way Leave voters could be made to go to the back of the queue if there are shortages. :ttth: You voted for this, chum, now hands off the charcuterie.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I am having a sudden flap about potential lack of availability re prawn cocktail crisps.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Are people really this worried about it?

If it's really going to be that bad then I am going to be more concerned about complete and utter breakdown of law and order than I am going hungry. I just can't see it happening.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Well, yeah, whatever happens with individual foods and supply chain the end result is going to be lack of supplies, price hikes for what's available and social unrest as a result.

Manchester, April 2, 2019:
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Will Lidl even survive? I think most of their non-perishable food is from the EU.

We might all have to wear fleece leggings from the Aisle of Dreams when the pound is worth 15 cents, though - anyone stockpiling those?
Blue Eyed Laydee

Post by Blue Eyed Laydee »

I’m not prone to donning a tinfoil hat but if the government itself is stockpiling supplies then yes I think it’s something that seriously needs consideration. If it doesn’t happen, no harm done. I’ll have a big donation to make to the local foodbank, which we also need because of this fucking government.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Absolutely, BEL.
smalex wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:38 pm I wish there was a way Leave voters could be made to go to the back of the queue if there are shortages. :ttth: You voted for this, chum, now hands off the charcuterie.
Agreed!
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:27 pm Do they have to import hen feed, is the question?
No. The predominant Farmers in the area are one third livestock, one third arable and one third feed. The only aberration was deciding to put sheep on a silage field (the one I back onto) which lasted about 2 weeks.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I guess the harm would be that if a significant amount of people stockpile/panic buy then there will be availability problems?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Blue Eyed Laydee

Post by Blue Eyed Laydee »

The nearly-inevitable panic buying is one reason I'm stockpiling now. :)) I've seen what people are like at the prospect of a snowstorm or the shops being closed for one day at Christmas, so Brexit will trigger a massive clearout. If I buy now, it's not a panic.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Yeah, and also I can’t trust the people of this country anyway (QED: Brexit) so it’s a race to the bottom either way, no?
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Kenickie wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:32 pm I guess the harm would be that if a significant amount of people stockpile/panic buy then there will be availability problems?
Well yes, surely the snowball is starting now if people are beginning to purchase extra. Those who can afford it, at least.

That said, I bought another tin of beans on my shop this evening, just in case. :))