What will you be stockpiling?

Blue Eyed Laydee

Re: What will you be stockpiling?

Post by Blue Eyed Laydee »

Yes, it's true that there's an element of privilege. In fact I'll do a few stockpile shops for the foodbanks between now and March too.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I'm going to make sure I have Ventolin and stock up on ibuprofen as I go through a lot, but otherwise nothing. There's enough in my freezer and cupboards to feed you all, if things go wrong.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:45 am President spreadable butter is just the best, rosy, isjtbit? And I have no way of stockpiling it (tiny freezer).
It's the best - cream instead of vegetable oils? Yes please :ready: I have bought an extra mini-freezer. At the moment it's full of catfood, but I could squeeze a few packs of butter in there.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I would've thought that anything that's bought as extra between now and possible No Deal/Hard Brexit shutdown at the end of March will be replenished. That's the way the supply chains and logistics work, daily adjustments to orders, filled daily, on a continual rolling loop. So, 30% of the country buying extra non perishables for the next 5 months, won't have much impact on shop availability when Dover stops on 1st April 2019.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Stockpile away then! ;)
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I have checked my emergency box, and restored it to its previous level of readiness for emergencies :)).

I think there is a definite possibility (ie as sure as anything in this debacle has been) that there will be power cuts, at least in the short term, depending on what is agreed when we leave. I have short-term power in the form of a primus and lanterns (whoop!), but haven't bought special Brexit foodstuffs, as perishables will obviously perish, and other things should be available, at least after a while. I am not going to panic buy frozen food, as if the power goes off for any length of time it will spoil.

Maybe I'll bung in a couple of boxes of cup a soup and instant hot chocolate, more as a psychological safety net than anything else. I will add a couple of 2l bottles of water to my next shop, as they will last for ages, and if they aren't needed, they can be kept in reserve to flush the loo in case the water goes off in the future.

God.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

We have been asked at work by our European supplier to make sure we have enough stock to cover March to May, as they cannot guarantee supply. (Yeah, no agricultural spare parts available at peak season :shrug: ) It's not food, but you'd hope that supermarkets are going to apply the same principle, for tinned and non-perishable stuff at least. But I'll still get in a bit extra now I've read this thread and scared myself. :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

There's part of me that sort of hope there are food shortages. I'm concerned the government might just avoid a really obvious, catastrophic, departure, and it'll just be death by a thousand cuts, a (slightly) slower slide into economic oblivion. Part of me wants a really obvious , smack you in the face, dose of reality for the fucking knobs who still think this is going to be fine.

OTOH, y'know, FUCK.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

I think I might get my chimneys swept and buy in wood. I really don't want fires lit but it'll still be cold and no electricity means no heating, oil or not.
Clarice

Post by Clarice »

I’ll send you all care packages from Switzerland.
It is a worry though, I need to check that we’re sending enough drug over for all of our patients in our clinical trials to cover any potential import issues.
smartiecat
The Crispwife

Post by smartiecat »

God, I hadn’t even considered this and am now fretting. I never have much food in so would be stuffed fairly quickly. I’ll start getting some extra pasta, coffee, tins of stuff, cat food and painkillers I think. My freezer is tiny but could do with a clear out anyway so I can then do a sensible restock. Medication for me and the cat would be the biggest issue which obviously I can’t do anything about.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’ve just been chatting to my pharmacist as I was picking up my repeat prescription. I’m on a two month repeat and asked him if it was worth going to my GP to ask for a six month repeat because of concerns about meds after Brexit. He said that prescriptions are being cut to 28 days where possible and that they are already struggling to get hold of life or death medications like inhalers and blood pressure medicine. So we’re all fucked basically.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Seriously?

It’s time to thank a Leave voter, folks :bite:.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

So what's that going to do to emergency services, dr appointments/time to make repeats and the Hospitals.

Although the average age/intelligence of a leaver means they'll be the first to starve/freeze or need meds so we could have a Darwin cull.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I've been weaning myself off my antidepressants without medical sanction since June but still filling the prescription. I could make a killing on eBay. :look:

Or! Anyone on citalopram want a couple of extra 20mg packets? :))
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Yep. And exactly Hannie. The strain on the NHS is going to be overwhelming. This was a Boots branch by the way, so it’s not a local independent/small pharmacist problem. The GP has asked me to come in for a meds review 6 months early too.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Anyone who might need the MAP in the short term should probably buy it now, and all.

Fuck this, seriously.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Bat Macdui wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:41 am I've been weaning myself off my antidepressants without medical sanction since June but still filling the prescription. I could make a killing on eBay. :look:

I'm coming off them myself, but I still have a prescription I could cash in and set myself up as a black market Citalopram dealer. :))
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Bat Macdui wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:41 am I've been weaning myself off my antidepressants without medical sanction since June but still filling the prescription. I could make a killing on eBay. :look:

I can feel my anxiety rising already as I read this thread, I may be getting in touch. :mog: I'm actually going to book a GP appointment soon and see if I can do the 6 month repeat thing. I am not wholly confident I could function without my citalopram at the moment. :look: :fc:

I'm also going to make sure I have plenty of painkillers, I do not want a repeat of the paramol shortage we had a few years ago.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I do think that buying a few things extra a week is a sensible idea as I’m sure there will be panic buyers in the weeks before. The only issue I have is cooking in a power cut. We’re electric and I’m loathe to buy a camping stove and gas to sit there (unused hopefully).

I’m thinking it’ll be fire pit and going back to my scouting tuna tin stoves.