FML

nineseven

Re: FML

Post by nineseven »

sally maclennane wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:08 am Why will you have to self isolate?
Because I have bad hair. It was tongue in cheek.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

nineseven wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:06 pm
sally maclennane wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:08 am Why will you have to self isolate?
Because I have bad hair. It was tongue in cheek.
Oh :mog: :slow:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Reading some of these hairdresser dramas I am now highly unlikely to arrange any appointment until Christmas so the stylists can get their practice by then :)
Little My

Post by Little My »

I know! This is making me feel better about avoiding doing anything about my hair. Given another 6 months of no hair dye or cut I will be able to achieve nine's current do. (Sorry :)) I hope you can get it fixed and that someone else at the salon backs you up that it wasn't a good result.)
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Sorry for all the hair woes. My decision to grow my hair out seems to have come at a really good time.

I was on the trampoline with A earlier, rather loudly singing my made-up, trampoline-related lyrics to the tune of 'Let's Dance'.I completely forgot that the neighbours who have a holiday home here are currently in situ. Still, as a musician, I'm sure he appreciated my squawking rendition of Let's Jump. :hot: :cry:
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

:eek: I’ve just booked a haircut for next weekend :panic: I hope she gets her hand in by then! I was due a cut the week before Lockdown and the salon cancelled my appointment for non-corona reasons, so I’m actually about 9 months since my last cut.

Beatrix and the cat biscuit have had me howling :mog: thank you!
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I am feeling sorry for myself, and need to get over it :)). Yesterday I got the results for the first year of my course, and got an average of 69, where 70 is a distinction :mad:. I also learned that a poem I wrote that was shortlisted for publication in an anthology didn't make the final cut :cry:. I have a Zoom workshop on Monday, and have no mojo at all to write anything for it. I'm just staring at the screen blankly, or procrastinating madly.

I checked my work email before bed last night, and there are 326742 messages from my dissertation students all wanting replies ASAP (they are in China, so there is a time difference). The messages are in response to one I sent out in UK daytime explaining what is meant by critical engagement with the literature review. It can be difficult for some international students to argue with 'authorities' on a subject, so I was expecting a reaction, but hoped it wouldn't be quite so great. That's my weekend sorted then. I just want to go back to bed and sulk :child:.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Sorry, Morgs. I hope you feel more able to do things soon.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Thanks, rosy. I'm being self-pitying, I know, and I will snap out of it soon.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's rubbish being so close to the distinction and publication, I'd be pissed off so it's definitely not self pitying.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Thanks for humouring me - I am feeling a bit bruised, but amused at myself at the same time. The final mark will be an average of the two (half) years and the dissertation/portfolio, so all is not yet lost. The thing is that I know I'm not quite 'there', which is disheartening, as at least some of it probably has to be innate, so I'm not convinced that I will improve. Good but not good enough is, well, not good enough, is it? :)). And the shortlisted but not chosen news just confirmed it. I suspect there is also an element of not being used to being judged like that, which is vanity and serves me right.

Irritatingly, because of Covid, undergrads and full-time and final year postgrads have been given a baseline mark based on previous modules, but because my cohort has only submitted three assignments it's not enough to go on, so there is no quarter being given for the time we lost to strikes and plague.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I just chipped my favourite mug when I wasn’t looking where to put my water glass down, getting set up for my 5:30 singing lesson ☹️

Also there’s a gardener with a petrol hedge trimmer right outside the room I’ll be in, making a shit-ton of noise.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Oh noooo!
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

It’s only a little FML, to be fair
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

I just went down to get ice cream from the freezer and discovered a bat in my cellar.

Nature is taking back our house! FUCK OFF, NATURE!! :nerves: :cry: :puppy:

(I managed to get the ice cream though. The greed is mightier than the scarediness.)
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Gah. I've got myself into an awkward situation.

So at the start of lockdown I joined our local Covid-19 neighbourhood support group.

I was given the details of a man who lives locally and began to get shopping for him. At first it was just a couple of baskets worth but gradually it's got more and more. Last time I spent over £100, getting him mostly drinks (including vodka and brandy), lots of heavy litre bottles of lucozade etc.

He always pays me with £50 notes which I have to find change for, I have to leave the shopping outside his door, sometimes he walks out of the back door and picks it up, sometimes I have to pass it through the window.

It looks like he is a bit of a hoarder and he gets me to buy insect killer a lot which makes me think his house isn't very clean. He is a bit odd, I would never go inside.

To give him his due, he doesn't call me weekly, mostly every fortnight or so.

I genuinely didn't mind doing it but I'm finding it harder now, I was back at work full time the last few weeks so was having to go in the evenings for him and then do again to sort my own families shopping. I'm on summer holidays now but this means I have the children all the time and I don't want to drag them along to shop for him.

He keeps hinting about needing a cleaner and a carer and I have given him a few telephone numbers of private.csrers.

Anyway, today he rang me twice while I was out. I decided I was going to tell him that today would be the last time I could do his shop as I have a lot on (I am back visiting G weekly too)

But I just called him and he is ill and started going into detail about his bowel movements and that he wants to die etc.

We've left it that he is going to call me tomorrow with a list but I don't feel I can sack him off now and I'm annoyed with myself for being a wuss but also feel guilty because he obviously needs help. He says social services/GP etc do not care.

Why do I do this to myself?
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Oh no, Ismee, you poor thing. Is there any way you can raise this with the organisation who put you in touch with him? They will hopefully have systems in place to deal with this.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I agree with sally, and I want to encourage you to extricate yourself from this if you can.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Oh good grief. I hope you can find someone else to take over.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

The trouble is, I changed my phone at the start of lockdown and lost about a week's worth of messages, including the original messages from the person who contacted me from the group.

I did private message someone on the Facebook group but they didn't reply. I need to try and find a different contact.