FML

Dandelion

Re: FML

Post by Dandelion »

Bloody Christmas jumper day. F has a lovely new Christmas Boden dress but she can’t wear it as the school insist they have to wear the bottom half of their uniform. :verm:

Cue the emergency purchase of a polyester monstrosity in a size smaller than I wanted from Matalan. It will be worn for two days maximum.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I'm sure I read that absences are huge on Christmas Jumper day because of the ridiculous economic burden of it. :mad:
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I really think that things like that are insensitive. Bad enough at the best of times, but when people have been on furlough and lots have lost jobs or will be in fear of that happening, why organise something that involves people forking out for a garment that at best will be worn a couple of times and won't fit next year? I'm all for Christmas campness, but am not at all in favour of anything that embarrasses parents and might make kids feel left out.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I completely agree.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I agree with the above and will also throw in things like "dress like a superhero" and World Book Day.

Why can't we just have non uniform and crazy hair?

So Next called me back and the jumper for Elf was sent in a different package and got to the delivery company too late to come out today. He's going to be gutted and now I'll have to pick him up from school and go and buy another bloody jumper.

The school have said they can wear a christmas item so it can just be a hat. But, then they said it isn't non-uniform. So, they can wear whatever the like if they wear a jumper (jeans, joggers, leggings etc) but if they wear a hat they have to come in full uniform. I think that's really unfair.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I don't understand why schools are doing this, esp this year when so many people have lost their jobs. I know it's easier said than done (and I can be particularly difficult) but I would send them in whatever and challenge the school to tell me that jeans and a hoodie wasn't Christmassy.
Malan
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

lazzbo wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:13 pm I'm sure I read that absences are huge on Christmas Jumper day because of the ridiculous economic burden of it. :mad:
Oh that is so sad :(
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Isn't it? Dreadful.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I can totally see thar happening. Our PTA were trying to organise a Xmas jumper swap, buy for £1 type thing, but I'm not sure it got off the ground.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

The primary school has said any jumper will do.

Kleio, that’s what enrages me about Next orders, you never know what will arrive when. Their app is awful too.
viggy

Post by viggy »

Flora Poste wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:49 pm I can totally see thar happening. Our PTA were trying to organise a Xmas jumper swap, buy for £1 type thing, but I'm not sure it got off the ground.
We were planning the same but COVID scuppered that for this year - no-one can enter the school so we have nowhere to drop off/exchange etc.

BM loves a matching Christmas jumper, but I hate that they can only be worn for a couple of weeks, so last year I got us matching fairisle jumpers that had festive colours but could be worn all winter. This year I got us matching navy star jumpers but she's declared them not Christmassy enough :cry:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Fucking Christmas jumper day. I bought Liv a plain green swirly dress “from the elves” so she wore that instead (no uniform at the school so no dress issues here thank goodness) and a Christmas tree hair band. George is not into Christmas jumpers, so he has a forest green hoodie :lol:

George’s class are doing a secret Santa and the price limit is £10! I am kind of shocked at the amount, it’s not very inclusive. Also, the year 6 PGL trip is apparently still on, school wrote to us yesterday to say they had booked and could they have the first £100 next week. The week trip is £500!!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

£500!!

Our school has asked for Christmas jumper donations of outgrown or unwanted items to redistribute. Also can wear any own clothes with any Christmas accessory as an alternative.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

£500! A’s year 6 residential is £220.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

£500! Ours was £334 and I thought that was a bit on the steep side!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Ours is £334 too Flora, I wonder if it’s the same place?! GH?
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Youngest niece got 6 days in Belgium with her clarinet for only slightly more than £250, which I thought was good value. Especially as I was paying for it. :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

£500 is an awful lot. Hard to justify for a lot of people even if you're not really struggling I'd imagine. Our Y4 trip (not taken yet, because, covid) was £178, not sure how much the Y6 one will be.

There's such a lot of requests at school at Christmas in a normal year. Theres one family I know and she's got 4 kids, husband left, she worries about buying food let alone pay for 4x christmas jumpers, teacher gifts, mufti days, discos, cards to be exchanged around the class. A SS in the class has never been suggested, thank god!
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Squirrel wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:50 pm Ours is £334 too Flora, I wonder if it’s the same place?! GH?
No, ours is Liddington. I'm just relieved they managed to move it from September to May (the week after SATs) because A has been looking forward to it for years now.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Ours is to Osmington Bay and Monday to Friday so only 4 nights!

G had been asking if it would go ahead and I was trying not to get his hopes up but school told the kids it was going ahead the same day they emailed parents asking for money :ella: