What will you be stockpiling?

Morganna

Re: What will you be stockpiling?

Post by Morganna »

Does anyone understand how to get a regular delivery slot from Sainsbury's? Not a vulnerable person's one - just a normal one.

When I log on (I have a delivery pass as a regular customer) there is a note asking if I want to book a regular weekly slot, which apparently will be offered after checkout. I've never bothered with it, as I don't get a delivery at the same time every week, and we have been going to the Lakes off and on over the summer, anyway. Last time, though, I thought I might book one, in case panic buyers book them all up like last time, and I can't get any deliveries now that we are in lockdown. I checked out as usual, but at the end of the process I couldn't find any way of booking ahead.

They might cancel them (or allocate them to the officially vulnerable) in the event of a shortage, but better safe than sorry, I suppose. Does anyone have a regular slot, and if so, can you remember how you booked it?
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I don't know Morgs, however I'm wondering if it's worth taking out a pass (it looks like I could do this with Tesco or Sainsbury's at the moment) if it gives you earlier access to slots, e.g. if you can see 4 weeks ahead for Tesco instead of the usual 3 etc. I can't see anything in the website which tells me this, can someone who has one please let me know?
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

H1ppychick wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:30 pm I don't know Morgs, however I'm wondering if it's worth taking out a pass (it looks like I could do this with Tesco or Sainsbury's at the moment) if it gives you earlier access to slots, e.g. if you can see 4 weeks ahead for Tesco instead of the usual 3 etc. I can't see anything in the website which tells me this, can someone who has one please let me know?
A Tesco DS does give you 4 weeks' worth of slots.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I'm really pleased I had a pass last time, as Sainsbury's were very good at prioritising, I thought. Vulnerable first, then pass holders, then everyone else. It's worth getting one, and they more than pay for themselves if you get frequent deliveries. You get first dibs at Christmas, too, for what that will be worth this year :cry:
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

This was my local Asda today, I was really hoping it wouldn’t happen again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

That's shocking Kleio! I'm about to go to the supermarket – bad planning as lockdown has been announced here for this weekend, so I'm not sure what I'll be able to find.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I was pleasantly surprised by my sainsbury's, nothing was stripped, loo roll plentiful. The queuing barriers have been put back though, i don't if its because of panicking or that they're putting tighter limits on numbers again. I didn't actually have to queue though.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I've still got about 2/3 of the TP bale I bought from Costco in March but the brand is not as good as the one I had before it, it's a bit flimsy. I've put a speculative 9-roller in my Tesco C&C for Sunday but I'm kind of expecting that not to be fulfilled.

Actually, my C&C is for first thing on Sunday, so :fc: they'll have restocked overnight and I get my order...
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Thanks Morgs, I've taken up the Tesco Delivery Pass now. It seems a small price to pay for earlier access to the slots. It will be worth it value-wise if I have two deliveries a month, and the comfort of mind is worth more than that if I can still get good access to slots as restrictions tighten.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Thanks to this thread I have signed up for the Tesco delivery saver and this afternoon we took delivery of a chest freezer. I’ve turned the conservatory and half the study over to storage. Not at all what I wanted to do but needs must, I think.

I’m beyond furious that it’s come to this. Not for ourselves so much as for everyone who doesn’t have the resources to cushion themselves against the disregard, arrogance and spite being inflicted on the people this country.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Same, Edith. I cannot. Cannot. believe the state we’re about to be in.

Fair’s fair: the Leave voters must go without first.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I don't know how I feel about stockpiling now. I had one, then it dwindled, then covid. I started it back up a few weeks ago but didn't get much further than tinned and dried goods because of how anti stockpiling everyone is. I felt guilty. I wanted to walk round with a sign saying 'its a brexit stockpile, see, no loo roll!'
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Has anybody’s stockpile changed now that we’ve had a (very unwelcome) dry run? I think we were caught out earlier this year by the lack of things like soap and loo roll. What else might we be missing this time round?
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

‘Stockpiling is becoming a negative term - I see it more as cautious and planned pantry management. There is a lot of negativity towards panic-buying, which is absolutely not what I’m doing.

As long as purchasing is done in a steady, bit-by-bit manner, no one else need suffer.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Exactly. Although I am totally shitting it all the same.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I think it was just unfortunate the week after I decided to start again the supermarkets all had a bit of a flurry again and everyone was on fb saying how selfish it was
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:52 pm Has anybody’s stockpile changed now that we’ve had a (very unwelcome) dry run? I think we were caught out earlier this year by the lack of things like soap and loo roll. What else might we be missing this time round?
I’m seriously concerned about the future availability of fresh vegetables, which is what drove the decision to get a chest freezer.

I’ve got loo roll on subscription, have milk, eggs, veg and fruit from my local milkman and have reinstated my Riverford order so I’ve got that ‘relationship’ too, if supply is an issue. Basically, I’m spreading my eggs across as many baskets as possible so that if one supplier struggles, I’ve got other places I can turn to.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I sincerely hope that this time next year I will be back in here, laughing at myself for taking it all so seriously.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I terrified about this. As prices are on the up it won’t be long until I don’t have enough to afford nice things.

The kitchen is tiny and only has one useable cupboard for food and no space for a freezer. I’ve got a small 3 drawer one in the conservatory and used the conservatory as a pantry during the early part of the year but it really got I the way during lockdown. The house just isn’t big enough to give everyone personal space, especially in the winter if the weather is bad.

We shouldn’t have to worry about this!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Edith Bacon wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:00 pm I sincerely hope that this time next year I will be back in here, laughing at myself for taking it all so seriously.
Me too. But given that things are currently so much worse than we ever envisaged last year, I just don’t know if that will happen.