What will you be stockpiling?

Hazey_Jane

Re: What will you be stockpiling?

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Euros, for my UK shopping trips (if there's anything left in the shops to buy that is).

I really, really wish I didnt' have to write that sentence. The only, single positive thing out of this whole fucking mess is that holidays for most foreign visitors to the UK got cheaper.
Last edited by Hazey_Jane on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Aldi announced they were stockpiling a while ago, so those with a local Aldi might stand a better chance of bagging some pasta when the riots happen. :cheery:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Pasta is a good one, and olive oil. I do realise how that sounds.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

Mr F stockpiled ages ago. Loads of non perishable food. We are very fortunate not to need any medications.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Kenickie wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:27 pm If everyone stockpiles, there will definitely be availability issues. :lg:
Haha, out the way, I'm coming through (with my Aldi trolley piled high with gin and chocolate)
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Gin :idea:.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Surely things that are made in this country will be OK...or am I being naive?

(I would have thought fruit and veg are going to be immediate casualties in terms of daily food shopping, along with cheese and meats from abroad. And yes, I guess I should check if any of my pharma products come from elsewhere.)
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Insulin. If only. :lol:
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Hazey_Jane wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:27 pm
I really, really wish I didnt' have to write that sentence. The only, single positive thing out of this whole fucking mess is that holidays for most foreign visitors to the UK got cheaper.
Positive for those who live abroad, not so much for those of us stuck here. We cannot live by tourism alone :cry:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:51 pm Surely things that are made in this country will be OK...or am I being naive?
Things made here will be fine. It's just we import 60% of food from the EU, so if that gets stuck, that's 100% of people trying to buy the remaining 40%. :look: And we don't warehouse store anymore. So stocks will dwindle fast. And if logistics are fucked (EU HGV drivers can't get over here/drive over here) the supply chain is fubared.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I imagine Frome as a whole has already started stockpiling houmous and beard wax.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

I bulk buy anyway but I think I might stock up deli meat and halloumi. They usually have good dates. Maybe some frozen veg.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 pm
Derek Nimmo wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:51 pm Surely things that are made in this country will be OK...or am I being naive?
Things made here will be fine. It's just we import 60% of food from the EU, so if that gets stuck, that's 100% of people trying to buy the remaining 40%. :look: And we don't warehouse store anymore. So stocks will dwindle fast. And if logistics are fucked (EU HGV drivers can't get over here/drive over here) the supply chain is fubared.
Great.

(Good thing I found a Sussex based gin company that I like then. I shall make sure I have enough in not to worry about not being able to eat :woteva:)
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Halloumi *adds to list*
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

Jesus Christ, I can't believe this is happening and people exist who still believe it's a good thing
Heartsick.blog
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I read a thing a while back about how it's a good idea to have a three week supply of food and medicines anyway.

I am not sure if I will stockpile. I think the toughest thing is going to be fruit and veg and you can't really get lots of that unless you're Ok with tinned.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Maybe between now and Christmas we all need to work on getting OK with tinned.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I had an emergency box*, which the kids depleted when they started going to festivals :verm:. I might have a look and see what needs replenishing.

When full, it had:
A wind-up torch/radio
A camping lantern and batteries
A camping stove and gas (I'm pretty sure that has vanished)
A thermos, so that one pan of boiled water lasts longer
Tampons/loo roll/hand sanitiser
Painkillers, Dettol and immodium (the drugs will have passed their sell-by dates by now)
A pack of cards (in case of power cut-induced boredom)
Candles and lots of matches
Teabags

I always have tinned pulses and dried stuff such as pasta, lentils and polenta, and I might stockpile some bottled water just in case (of what, I'm not sure, but it can do no harm).

*My mum always had one, because she was a child during the War, and I thought they were something everyone had. I think that reading When The Wind Blows confirmed that they were a good idea :)). In an extended power cut, or unspecified emergency it would be reassuring to know exactly where to find things, though.
Last edited by Morganna on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Gin is a British institution.

I’ll be stockpiling a jolly good sense of humour and my innate British Bulldog Spirit (TM). Possibly also patriotism and belief in the Empire. Because it’s all that will be left.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

I will be stockpiling children’s medicine and painkillers/basics (I need to restock our medicine box anyway), basics like pasta, olive oil, rice, frozen veg/fruit, cheese; enough to create reasonably balanced meals when the rest of Britain goes to pot.