IWLTS in 2020...

Livilla

Re: IWLTS in 2020...

Post by Livilla »

Grr, Wendy.

Mine is also Grrrrrr, to my BIL. MIL has been talking lately about selling a commercial property that she and FIl owned for years (they used it when running their business for many years) and has been let out for at least the last 25 years or so. Mr L and I have been managing the negotiations for the sale and with the existing tenant for her. Today it turns out that she's selling it at the request of BIL, who is concerned that he might lose his job at some stage (he's fine to date and he works for a non-commercial organisation with a very large financial backing) and so he wants her to sell the property and give him "his half of the proceeds" because he "needs" to buy another rental property, to ensure they have extra income coming in. I say another because they already have two investment properties as well as their own house, all mortgage free, and the purchase of all of which were substantially subsidised by MIL and FIL. He's in his forties, and has never stood on his own two feet financially for his entire life, I don't think.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh gosh! That's awful. I absolutely loathe the idea an inheritance is 'yours' before anyone has died and left it to you. I had a friend who took that attitude and it was the straw that broke our friendship, because I found it so distasteful.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

You’ve posted about him before. He’s no shame.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Not only being mindlessly greedy but letting you do all the work to help him get the cash. :ella:
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

That kiwi is sadly just par for the course with him. He is a real piece of work. :lg:
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

That's awful. My dad's family are all like that and I hate it. We've had loads of trouble with one of my uncles over Dad's (very straightforward) will and now they are all wittering about who's leaving whom out of inheritances :ttth: With the exception of one uncle, my sister and I are just glad we never have to have anything more to do with them.

Will you continue to act for MIL, Liv? If I remember correctly she usually goes along with his grasping schemes?
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

We're at the stage nw Lora where most of the work is done, and we hand it over to her proper lawyer to deal with the registration. So, yes, grrr. And she pretty much goes along with everything he wants, annoyingly.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

That's really horrible, Liv. I remember the problems you've had with them before. How is Mr L's relationship with his brother now?
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Non-existent! :lol:
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I want to say, "That's a shame," but to be honest it feels as if Mr L hasn't lost anything worth having. I hope he isn't too wound up by it(nor you); it's very hard to let go of such outrageous behaviour, even if you know there's nothing to be gained by fighting.
Betty Bee

Post by Betty Bee »

IWLTS: Please stop messaging me about your Sweaty Betty order. I was just being polite, I'm not actually interested in a daily, detailed update.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

wendy james wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:11 pm Today IWLTS if you’re going to have a grandchild come and stay for a few nights, despite current restrictions, how about you don’t let any of the grandchildren know. :ruby:
That is shit, I'm sorry. :sad:
Luna

Post by Luna »

IWLTS: fuck off talking to me (on the phone)whilst your child is screaming right next to you. I honestly think people are unaware how annoying and painful it is to listen to,
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I think folk just tune it out really. I'm always amazed at how people can talk while kids go mad in the background but when i mentioned it to J, he just laughed and said he learned to ignore it all.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Oh god that reminds me of meeting friends in a nice coffee shop (Beanscene on Skirving street back in the day) and two mums came in and just let their 2-4 year olds run around screaming. It was almost impressive to watch them completely ignore the thundering around, “mum-mum-mum-mum”s and sometimes just high pitched screeching the kids did while they (the parents) had a much lovelier time than everyone else in the place, just peacefully chatting and enjoying their coffee :lol:
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Luna wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:47 am IWLTS: fuck off talking to me (on the phone)whilst your child is screaming right next to you. I honestly think people are unaware how annoying and painful it is to listen to,
I think people are fully aware but often don't have a choice.

I have no tolerance for children being allowed to run riot in cafes, however :ttth: I used to get so cross with my children for making me stand outside with them and their tantrums instead of sitting drinking my tea, but it's what you do (unless it's an exclusively child focused place, in which case you take your chances).
Luna

Post by Luna »

I’m having one of those mornings, computer and diary not working, phone endlessly ringing 😭😭
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

That sounds stressful :hugh:
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

IWLTS: I am secretly pleased at having a day off by myself :weewee:

We were both meant to be off from Wed to Fri this week. J is having to work Thursday and Friday now as a project he has been working on has overrun. I have decided to work on Thursday because I was probably going to have to join a call anyway plus its a day back. I am still taking Friday off though and am quite looking forward to it :shh:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
rosy

Post by rosy »

Nice one, Sal.

IWLTS No, meeting you at IKEA and (judging from the pictures on FB) queueing for two hours for some pointless shopping sounds like the seventh circle of hell. Just because you’ve decided it’s safe to stop shielding doesn’t mean I’m taking that decision.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.