IWLTS in 2020...

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: IWLTS in 2020...

Post by Kenickie »

That's terrible, Morgs.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

IWLTS How about not climbing mountains in really shit weather, let alone in bloody trainers? I'm getting sick of hearing about people like you.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

IWLTS That’s a very cool out of office message. It’s from a senior guy, whose message says something like “I work part time, and I’m afraid you’ve caught me on my regular long weekend [etc.]

I really like the casual tone and the fact that it’s a senior man not trying to hide the fact that he works part-time. You don’t see this much in the City!
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

That is refreshing, Ella!
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Iwlts: finally a sensible answer! And one that isnt limited to "that's not my responsibility"! And oh look, its from a female team member. What a surprise.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Luna

Post by Luna »

IWLTS I am not google maps or fucking Siri. Fuck off.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

IWLTS Did you mean to send me that? To my grandparents' old gardener, who appears to have sent me a GIF of Joey saying "How you doin'?". I don't really want to ask.

rosy

Post by rosy »

That's weird, Lily. Has he been in touch with you/your family recently or is it out of the blue?

IWLTS Ha! I knew there was a reason behind your volte-face about getting divorced. And I'd congratulate you but officially, I don't know anything about your engagement yet.

(I'm really sitting on my typing fingers to stop myself sending a passive-aggressive "I hear congratulations are in order" message).
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

We text occasionally, but not like that! He washed his dog with Ariel, so I'm pretty sure he's not all there.

IWLTS I AM SO GREAT! I AM SO GREAT! (I am obviously not going to say that, but a rival company have just tried to poach me, and I am ridiculously flattered and a bit chuffed.)

SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

IWLTS You really are a fabulous, kind and generous woman.

To my friend's MIL (that I have never met) who has welcomed my friend's new fiancé and his 5 year old son with open arms in her home for a skiing holiday with my friend and her daughters. Friend's husband (MIL's son) died tragically 5 years ago in a car accident.
I just love that MIL is happy that her DIL has found happiness and love again and is including Fiancé and Son in her family sphere.
indigo

Post by indigo »

I love that, SunnyMum!
Last edited by indigo on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Beatrix wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:16 am Any chance you can use that to leverage a higher salary, Lily? A man would, just saying.
They raised my salary last year so I can't really ask again! But it might make them more inclined to kick out Shouty Bloke.

Sunnymum, that is kind, and good to read. It's made me a bit weepy.

Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Lily wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:06 am
Beatrix wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:16 am Any chance you can use that to leverage a higher salary, Lily? A man would, just saying.
They raised my salary last year so I can't really ask again!
Would a man say that, Lily? Really? If you don’t ask, you don’t get. The very worst that can happen is that they say no and make a note that you are aware of your value in the industry. They absolutely will not think less of you for it.

SunnyMum - that’s so lovely.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Would you consider leaving, if the job and salary suits and you also have the bonus of leaving shouty bloke behind? I think your current place would be on shaky ground if they expedited SB’s departure to keep you, even though I think it’s the right thing that he goes. I’m not sure how they could do it?

rosy, that’s not your ex is it? :beak:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I know a man probably wouldn't say that, but he probably wouldn't care about looking - and being - a dick!

I'm not being serious about them getting rid of SB to keep me. :) That would be wrong on so many levels. I can't say I have considered leaving at all, beyond wanting to get away from SB as he poisons it all and makes me feel ill and angry. Him aside, I love my company and what I do and I work with brilliant people so I wouldn't consider it. However something is stopping me saying no - perhaps because I feel like I ought to keep my options open? I may do a thread in a bit.

Margo

Post by Margo »

IWLTS... well, I’m not quite sure really. My boss obviously has the arse about me having another hospital appointment today. He’s asked me what it’s for and when I’ll be back online (wfh today). I’m pretty sure my medical issues are private, and how can I possibly know when I’ll get back home? I guess what I should say is bugger off, really 😡
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Cheeky sod! I would be tempted to say "my womb".

Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Lily wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:10 pm I know a man probably wouldn't say that, but he probably wouldn't care about looking - and being - a dick!
Do you think asking for a pay rise makes that person a dick?
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Margo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:20 pm IWLTS... well, I’m not quite sure really. My boss obviously has the arse about me having another hospital appointment today. He’s asked me what it’s for and when I’ll be back online (wfh today). I’m pretty sure my medical issues are private, and how can I possibly know when I’ll get back home? I guess what I should say is bugger off, really 😡
I’d be tempted to reply along the lines of ‘I don’t think you are allowed to ask me that.’ And maybe take some advice if it looks like he’s starting to get twitchy about your appointments. If he doesn’t know the employment law around managing people with medical conditions it would be useful for you to know what he should be doing.

I hope you are OK, Margo.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Edith Bacon wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:48 pm
Lily wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:10 pm I know a man probably wouldn't say that, but he probably wouldn't care about looking - and being - a dick!
Do you think asking for a pay rise makes that person a dick?
I think it might be a bit of a dick move if he'd just had one and if he was paid pretty well for what he did and if the company had done a lot for him, yes. I would feel a dick.

Yes, sorry Margo, I forgot to say what Edith said: I hope you're alright. You are entitled to appointments if and when you need them - and saying what Edith says makes it clear you know your rights. He appears not to.