SaturDennis

Princess Morripov

Re: SaturDennis

Post by Princess Morripov »

It looked a little bit furry :cry: I did contemplate whether the oven would nuke it but it’s probably a bit risky.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Furry cheese :cry:

Its absolutely horrible here, windy and heavy rain. I had a great lie in this morning and now I'm having breakfast before I go for a massage. We are staying in tonight thankfully although I have no idea what we're doing for dinner.

I hope you get home safely, Baa.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I guess with insurance you'd have to pay upfront and the excess whereas when I got stuck in Mexico on a package they sorted out all the hotel, transport etc and let us know when we could get back. Whereas when I got stuck in Boston not on a package it was quite stressful trying to find a hotel, go back and forth to the airport etc and keep ringing the airline. I don't think we ever really got our costs back either but that could have been our incompetence.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I find holiday booking massively stressful and confusing for all of those reasons, getting the best deal, working out what should happen when. I’ve often wondered if I’m just stupid, or a bit (completely) pathetic. I even get worked up going on holiday in the UK.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I feel like that too, Pip, it's the pressure to get it right I think. And its usually big sums of money so that adds more pressure. So many people I know are reverential about holidays, like they're the holy grail :lol:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I love holiday planning, but I don’t think it’s stupid or pathetic to find it stressful. The sums of money involved even for a “cheap” holiday make it pretty worrying!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Dandelion wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:05 am Eeek, I hope it is one of the first two options, Baaa. Never have the benefits of a package booking been more evident than the fall out of Coronavirus that I have been dealing with this week. Take note people - never book flight only. Just add one night’s accommodation and any expense when things go wrong is not yours.
I never book packages! I hoped my annual travel insurance would, er, insure me.

Holidays to me are the holy grail. Sometimes the only thing which keeps me going! I find them stressful, too. Especially when you can't get a refund on flights. I'm convinced I will book for the wrong day, going from the wrong airport, etc.

Stay safe Baa. There are worse places to be trapped.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

The insurance would cover me, but the package means I'm out skiing and eating posh kebabs while someone else sorts it :)
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Tell us about the posh kebabs please! I’m glad you’re chilling while it gets sorted out.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I HATE holiday booking. I am at the airport now for a holiday that I didn’t book.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:48 pm Tell us about the posh kebabs please! I’m glad you’re chilling while it gets sorted out.
Herby chicken and veg in a giant homemade pitta that seemed more like a focaccia.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Ooh that sounds amazing! We’re having homemade kebabs tonight. I ought to figure out how to make better flatbreads than I can buy here.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Lily wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:30 pm
Dandelion wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:05 am Eeek, I hope it is one of the first two options, Baaa. Never have the benefits of a package booking been more evident than the fall out of Coronavirus that I have been dealing with this week. Take note people - never book flight only. Just add one night’s accommodation and any expense when things go wrong is not yours.
Ella77 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am Dande, would you recommend that even for people with travel insurance?

Morning, all.

So with flight only if anything happens to your flights, ie. the route is cancelled / airline goes bust / FCO government warnings, you will normally be offered a full refund as part of the airline reprotection policy (so no need to claim on your insurance), but you would need to pay any difference to reinstate / reroute / rebook (insurance will not cover this, unless it is due to FCO warnings within 7 days of travel, generally). If you had booked a package, even including just one night of accommodation the travel company would need to provide alternatives, rebook new flights / make your trip seamless again at their expense.

We have had people transiting via China whose flights have been cancelled and it has cost them an extra £300 or so to rebook onto an alternative airline (and I am yet to hear of a single person able to claim this on their insurance). People with packages have not had to pay a penny more, we have moved their flights over and borne the cost.

Also, most insurance companies exclude cover for epidemics / pandemics, so are worming out of Coronavirus claims altogether!
Last edited by Dandelion on Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I find holiday planning/booking stressful but luckily S loves it.

Hope your flight's ok Cerise! And hope you get back safely Baa once you've had your fill of kebabs and cake.

Liv's friend is over all day. She's a bit of a handful and S and G have gone out in the storm to avoid them :lol:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Dandelion wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:12 pm
Lily wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:30 pm
Ella77 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am Dande, would you recommend that even for people with travel insurance?

Morning, all.

So with flight only if anything happens to your flights, ie. the route is cancelled / airline goes bust / FCO government warnings, you will normally be offered a full refund as part of the airline reprotection policy (so no need to claim on your insurance), but you would need to pay any difference to reinstate / reroute / rebook (insurance will not cover this, unless it is due to FCO warnings within 7 days of travel, generally). If you had booked a package, even including just one night of accommodation the travel company would need to provide alternatives, rebook new flights / make your trip seamless again at their expense.

We have had people transiting via China whose flights have been cancelled and it has cost them an extra £300 or so to rebook onto an alternative airline (and I am yet to hear of a single person able to claim this on their insurance). People with packages have not had to pay a penny more, we have moved their flights over and borne the cost.

Also, most insurance companies exclude cover for epidemics / pandemics, so are worming out of Coronavirus claims altogether!
Thanks Dande; that's really useful. Does a package count if you have bought it on somewhere like Expedia? Presumably I can't add a hotel room to a flight I've booked and then claim it's a package?

Package holidays are so much more expensive though.. it's hard to know where to save money and where to spend it.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Lily wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:48 pm

Thanks Dande; that's really useful. Does a package count if you have bought it on somewhere like Expedia? Presumably I can't add a hotel room to a flight I've booked and then claim it's a package?

Package holidays are so much more expensive though.. it's hard to know where to save money and where to spend it.
You don't have to book an actual package, like Tui or First Choice. Any land element purchased at the same time as a flight is classed as a package. So a flight to any destination and one night of accommodation on arrival would constitute a package. Even if it is an £8 hostel that you won't actually use.

It is all part of the Package Travel Directive which is an EU policy, so it might not actually be relevant for much longer. :ella:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

OK thanks for that - annoyingly I've booked all my flights now, but it's worth remembering that for future. Thank you so much.

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thank you!
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Thank you, Dande - that’s really helpful!
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I just did one of those pop-a-cobs for the kids to eat while they watch their movie and it was like actual magic!