Feeding TMT

Luna

Feeding TMT

Post by Luna »

My local sainsos has run out of loo roll and people are getting supplies in in bulk.

Are you doing the same? Has everyone gone mad? I’ve not even remotely thought about this :look:
smalex

Re: Are you stockpiling?

Post by smalex »

I tend to have a fair amount of food stocked up in any case (tinned, dried and frozen because we've got loads of storage space). I'm not looking to increase that even more, no.
Little My

Post by Little My »

No. But I'm glad I had already bought a couple of bottles of hand sanitizer because I don't think I'd be able to buy any now if I wanted to. And I'm happy that prescriptions have recently been filled.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I have a lovely Brexit stockpile already, so am well set up for any sort of apocalyptic scenario, and have given no thought to adding to it because of CV. Maybe I'll sell my soap and loo roll on the black market.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've bought a little bit extra of a couple of bits, like an extra packet of loo roll, some more soap and I have stocked up on GF bread and pasta for C who is a coeliac.

My usual Sainsburys delivery had 14 out of stock or substitutions today :ella: But my local small Sainsburys had plenty of everything when I went down to get the bits I was missing. Other than tarragon. Everyone must be stockpiling tarragon as I haven't been able to get hold of it two weeks in a row :panic:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m trying not to go crazy, but I’ve added a couple of extra things to my grocery order for tomorrow. Just in case we can’t head out for a while at any point in the future.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Absolutely not.

At this stage this is all complete madness.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

No, I’m not. My worry is that people who can afford to stockpile could be making it harder for people who can’t. How will they get by day to day when there’s nothing left?
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

cluefree wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:30 pm No, I’m not. My worry is that people who can afford to stockpile could be making it harder for people who can’t. How will they get by day to day when there’s nothing left?
Same here.

Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.
smalex

Post by smalex »

cluefree wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:30 pm No, I’m not. My worry is that people who can afford to stockpile could be making it harder for people who can’t. How will they get by day to day when there’s nothing left?
And what's left is twice the price.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I have bought an extra pack of tinned tomatoes, pasta, rice and loo roll.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Of course I am :mrgreen:.

I am a firm believer in being prepared for all unspecified emergencies at all times, and like nothing better than a healthy stockpile.

I had a grocery delivery today, and added a couple of bags of rice, some pasta and a couple of jars of pasta sauce. They can go with the Brexit stuff that hasn't been touched yet.

I haven't bought loo rolls or drugs, as I think it's reasonable for those to be rationed if necessary. I can't see the country running out of pasta though, and if we have to self-isolate I want to be sure we have enough stuff to eat that is easy to prepare if we feel ill. To be fair, we could manage for ages at the best of times, but I think having a groaning pantry gives a feeling of being in control.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I dont like the idea of stockpiling, it fuels my anxiety. And also all the stuff Cluef said about people who cant afford it. I bought an extra bar of soap in Boots yesterday and felt guilty about it all day.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Luna

Post by Luna »

Where I work there are all types of anti bac cleansers and apparently hospital staff have been taking it home leaving the hospital in short supply. People are bonkers and thoughtless.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I've bought some extra painkillers but in all honestly, I have a good stockpile of them generally anyway. Food wise we aren't bothering, we have some tins in the Brexit stockpile if things get bad but I am still convincing myself it won't happen. :fc:
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I saw that Winnie the Pooh thing that did the rounds about stockpiling saying something like not to stock up on lentils and long-life milk but to stash pizzas, Prosecco and chocolate buttons instead. So I bought four packets of biscuits today :mrgreen:

I saw a family in LIDL at the weekend buying entire trays of tinned soup and a trolley full of loo roll etc, and that kind of rubbish just causes so many problems.
smalex

Post by smalex »

AshleyX wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:45 pm I saw a family in LIDL at the weekend buying entire trays of tinned soup and a trolley full of loo roll etc, and that kind of rubbish just causes so many problems.
TBF, this is what I do usually :mrgreen: Okay, not a trolley full of loo roll :lol: . But I only want to go into Lidl or Aldi once a month so I'll do A Big Shop of the stuff I tend to buy in there, so I'll take a tray of tinned toms, a tray of tinned soups and sometimes a tray of assorted tinned pulses, as well as other long life products and cleaning products like loo roll, kitchen roll, dishwasher tablets etc. I also 'stock up' at the butcher, once or twice a month, then on a weekly basis only need to pop into the main supermarket for perishables and/or more unusual items.

So, they might not have been doing anything they weren't going to do anyway. :)
Last edited by smalex on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

AshleyX wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:45 pm I saw a family in LIDL at the weekend buying entire trays of tinned soup and a trolley full of loo roll etc, and that kind of rubbish just causes so many problems.
Yes, that sort of thing pisses me off. Buying an extra pack of bog roll is fine.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

smalex wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:51 pm
TBF, this is what I do usually :mrgreen: Okay, not a trolley full of loo roll :lol: . But I only want to go into Lidl or Aldi once a month so I'll do A Big Shop of the stuff I tend to buy in there, so I'll take a tray of tinned toms, a tray of tinned soups and sometimes a tray of assorted tinned pulses, as well as other long life products and cleaning products like loo roll, kitchen roll, dishwasher tablets etc. I also 'stock up' at the butcher, once or twice a month, then on a weekly basis only need to pop into the main supermarket for perishables and/or more unusual items.

So, they might not have been doing anything they weren't going to do anyway. :)
Entire trays?? Do you really? These were like 36 to a tray! Like properly massive ones.

So, maybe, but I don't think so, as there was loads of long-life milk in there too. And surely no one bulk buys that on a normal shop!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh, the ones I take are 12 per tray. It's not unusual for us to go through 12 tins of soup or tinned toms etc a month, no. Less so 36! I've often seen people buy in bulk in lidl or aldi though, people buying 30 iceberg lettuces or whatever, because I think (assume) people running businesses or doing PTFA/charity stuff use it.

I just don't think it's *that* unusual in somewhere like lidl or aldi.