Feeding TMT

Toast
Delboy

Re: Feeding TMT

Post by Toast »

A local friend just told me that M&S and Waitrose seem to have more than normal. The Co-Op shelves were bare though. I wonder how much of that is to do with supply chain and how much is down to people not being able to afford or want to spend money in places like M&S.

I have an Ocado order coming next week but I'm a bit confused about amending it. If I attempt to do that then do I run the risk of some of the items I've already checked out not being available?
smalex

Post by smalex »

I didn't buy it lieu of meat in the sense that wasn't any meat but as I increasingly do, trying to eat less meat. The whole section seemed quite well stocked, but it does seem really intermittent, I agree Sally.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I don't think anyone should feel bad about buying things or getting delivery slots, or anything like that (unless they have bought a massive storage unit and crammed it full of stolen meat*).

It's not like smal forgoing the paneer will mean that I can get some - it's far more likely that it will be bought by someone who eats meat but also likes to ring the changes now and then (ie most people :)) ). Same with the delivery slots - the vulnerable are accounted for, so anything else is going to others who are not in any particular order of priority. I think that booking multiple slots far ahead (if you can still do that) would be selfish, but just being lucky enough to get one is just that - luck, and shouldn't be a source of guilt.

No, Ella, I don't have enough milk - that was out of stock too, so I am down to an emergency litre of skimmed long life (yum!), which I don't think would work anyway. One of these days I will try making cheesy things, though. It looks very satisfying, and I've never done it.

ETA * My sister's friend lives on a grotty estate, and apparently lots of people there have bought industrial storage units and stock them with food that has been stolen from supermarkets and butchers. People come round with vans and sell the stuff from the back of them - 144 fish fingers, or half a sheep. I would draw the line at that, to be fair.
Last edited by Morganna on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

No, anything already in your trolley has been checked out already and editing it won't affect that.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I amended yesterday's Ocado order loads of times, Toast, and everything turned up, so I don't think it works like that.
Last edited by Rosa on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It takes loads of milk, and as you say, UHT wouldn’t work, but it is quite fun otherwise.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

purple_dress wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:16 pm No, anything already in your trolley has been checked out already and editing it won't affect that.
That's good. Its definitely not the case for Sainsbury's. So everything added will arrive?
Malan
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Morganna wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:16 pm I think that booking multiple slots far ahead (if you can still do that) would be selfish
That's interesting; why do you say that? I have always booked slots for as many Saturdays as are available (in normal times) and had just considered it being organised. Even now, surely you book them as they become available or, as you say, it's only likely to be someone in the same position who takes it. Or do you mean more than one needs, several per week etc?
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Marth wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:23 pm
purple_dress wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:16 pm No, anything already in your trolley has been checked out already and editing it won't affect that.
That's good. Its definitely not the case for Sainsbury's. So everything added will arrive?
Ah, no. But editing the order doesn't have any impact on that ie things you've already added and previously checked out won't be now unavailable when you edit.
Marth

Post by Marth »

purple_dress wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:25 pm
Ah, no. But editing the order doesn't have any impact on that ie things you've already added and previously checked out won't be now unavailable when you edit.
I see, I think. It won't flag up unavailable items and make you remove them, but might not have them on the day?
Malan
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Loralei wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:23 pm
Morganna wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:16 pm I think that booking multiple slots far ahead (if you can still do that) would be selfish
That's interesting; why do you say that? I have always booked slots for as many Saturdays as are available (in normal times) and had just considered it being organised. Even now, surely you book them as they become available or, as you say, it's only likely to be someone in the same position who takes it. Or do you mean more than one needs, several per week etc?
I mean booking them regularly for (say) the next month, so that someone trying to get a slot behind the vulnerable ones can't get anything for weeks on end.

I don't mean in normal circumstances, though - just now that everyone is struggling to get their shopping. I don't think it's possible to book weeks ahead anyway now, but a week or two ago my friend was boasting about how many slots she had managed to take stretching way ahead. It was at the start of the crisis, when things were just starting to get tight.
Last edited by Morganna on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

If it's out of stock it's out of stock. I think the difference is that Tesco (IME) and presumably Sainsos (by yours) will take the opportunity to kick it out of your basket if they have the chance to notify you - ie by your logging back in - rather than risk having to fund a potentially more expensive substitution. That said, when it's happened to me I've just chosen my own substitution before checking out again (often something cheaper, which has then been substituted with what I originally wanted, meaning I got the higher priced item for the lower price :)) )
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

If you'd already added and checked out say, loo rolls, and they've since sold old, the ones you've already checked out will still be on your order when you edit. Some things might still not turn up but that's not related to whether you edited the order.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Morganna wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:27 pm
Loralei wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:23 pm
I mean booking them regularly for (say) the next month, so that someone trying to get a slot behind the vulnerable ones can't get anything for weeks on end.
Oh, well that's me being selfish then. I have carried on booking my usual weekly slot as they become available.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I am not going to the supermarket only the local shop - they seem to be able to get plenty of veg and fruit - different things on different days ( eg yesterday aubergines and bananas, day before potatoes and onions and today oranges and lemons). They must be getting egg from a farm somewhere as they sell them box free from trays. However they have never sold meat (fresh or frozen) except for stuff like salami or pepperoni slices or frozen burgers so I have not expected to be able to buy from them even though I am a meat eater. I am happy to cook vegetarian though so don't care. I am not prepared to queue outside the supermarket to get meat - for health reasons rather than queuing reasons. I am often the only person in the shop too which helps. We have not been able to find a delivery or click and collect slot at any supermarkets either.
Last edited by Annabella on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Loralei wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:29 pmOh, well that's me being selfish then. I have carried on booking my usual weekly slot as they become available.
I've clarified on my post above, and we cross posted. I meant booking 3 or 4 slots ahead (one a week), not booking one each Saturday as they come up.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Thank you both. I understand now I think :))
Malan
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Thanks, PD and Rosa.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Are you trying to say its like stockpiling delivery slots Morgs?

My friend was completely quarantined because two of her kids had clear CV symptoms and did have a bit of a rant about the lack of slots (she usually shops in store) because they were stuck and ran out of some essentials. She didn't want to ask her over 70s mum to go so had to ask her ex partner (,father of 2 of her kids) to fetch nappies for her youngest. I don't know what is right really. Maybe they need to limit it to booking 2 or 3 ahead (althoughmaybe that's all that is likely anyway?), like the number of items you can buy of each.
Last edited by smalex on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

smalex wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:35 pmAre you trying to say its like stockpiling delivery slots Morgs?
Yes, that's one way to look at it :lol: