Feeding TMT

Toast
Delboy

Re: Feeding TMT

Post by Toast »

I've never booked in advance because previously I was always able to get a slot within a couple of days. If that hadn't been the case then I would have booked in advance so by doing so now that would be my new normal, I think. I don't know if that makes sense. I've got a headache.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Ocado are only letting you book one at a time now and normally it's 3 weeks ahead.

I think especially when you have a family or others to care for in these uncertain times it's quite understandable to want a weekly slot prebooked if you can get it.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

purple_dress wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:40 pm Ocado are only letting you book one at a time now and normally it's 3 weeks ahead.

I think especially when you have a family or others to care for in these uncertain times it's quite understandable to want a weekly slot prebooked if you can get it.
Yes, Sainsbury's aren't allowing it either. Maybe nobody is. To be fair, I think it's perfectly understandable for everyone to want a weekly slot, though.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I think families with children at home are another group that should be given priority, but I'm not in charge.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I think I said yesterday but you can't even click and collect from the local tesco, thru are so booked up.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Regarding the veggie stuff I'd noticed really low stocks of Quorn stuff etc for weeks and weeks before all this kicked off, I even Googled to see if Brexit had buggered Quorn production or something. :mrgreen:
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

My veggie friend told me the same thing about availability of Quorn products, kiwi.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Morganna wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:32 pm
Loralei wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:29 pmOh, well that's me being selfish then. I have carried on booking my usual weekly slot as they become available.
I've clarified on my post above, and we cross posted. I meant booking 3 or 4 slots ahead (one a week), not booking one each Saturday as they come up.
No, that's what I'm doing. I have two booked and booked the third when it became available. I don't see the point in letting them go to someone else (also not on the vulnerable list) and then waiting for a slot with a week's notice that won't appear. Obviously if there were a way of assigning that slot to someone who needed it more I would, but as long as it's likely to go to Barry at no 47 then I am not sure what the alternative is. Although P is going to be able to leave the house tomorrow, he'll be working with high risk people so I'd like to keep him out of the shops as much as possible because of the potential to pass anything on.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve been booking Saturdays in advance, but there are none after the 11th so I guess I’ll be going out then. I don’t think it’s wrong if me to have been doing it while I had the chance. I’m technically a key worker and have been going to the hospital.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

See, I think that counts as someone needing it more, Lora (and, not that I can speak for Morgs, I expect she does too). I don’t think I qualify in any way - I’m unlikely to be seeing any vulnerable people, no one in my household is vulnerable, I don’t even have any kids. Therefore, even if I could, I don’t think I’d feel right booking slots.

I am a bit torn about all this though. My sisters are both nurses (one is a chemo nurse) and neither can get delivery so they’re having to go to shops.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I haven't booked a delivery this week because I can't. And both delivery and click & collect are booked up for the foreseeable. I don't think it's necessarily morally wrong to book one.

I need to organise some fresh veg and fruit somehow. There are a few greengrocers locally doing delivery so I should probably investigate that.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:01 pm Sorry about the shit photos. The book’s quite knackered now and it won’t lie flat.

F1739C9E-E73D-4C2D-9DFF-36CD30AE2842.jpeg

74CE61AC-1B66-41B7-8FA3-70CF3FCDBB6A.jpeg

0676B7FD-FA1D-4310-BFF5-6438FD5B7814.jpeg

Use any oil instead of coconut oil.

Zest the limes at the start. The recipe isn’t clear about this!

You can use frozen coriander straight from the packet.

We always use kale instead of spring greens.
Thank you!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I'm finding I can get almost everything I need at the local Co-op or greengrocer. I'm shopping like I always did, just in bigger quantities and much less frequently - getting everything local and not using supermarkets. And getting meat or fish in the Co rather than visit additional shops, which I have mixed feelings about. I really think things will settle down when people realise there isn't going to be a shortage. Obviously assuming not too many of the people in the supply chain become ill. But two weeks ago the man who runs a local fruit and veg stall said to enjoy the Spanish strawberries because within a few days they would be unavailable and he was already seeing shortages in the market. I am still seeing strawbs every time I am in the shops.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

smalex wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:28 pm I feel bad now. I'll steer clear of it until things settle down
I wasn’t trying to make you feel bad, sorry! I’m always hopeful that the more people buy of veggie stuff, the more the shops will stock.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I never eat any of that stuff, so somebody can have my rations :)).
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh I know Moje, it just hadn't really occurred to me!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I am delighted to have just taken in a big fruit and veg box filled with random stuff, but it is so Ready Steady Cook that I'm feeling the challenge. :)) No onions of any kind! No lemons! (I have half an onion and half a lemon left). No chunky thing that immediately says MEAL, like a squash or a cauliflower. I am so pleased to have green stuff, but now I have a huge bag of spring greens AND a huge bag of kale. About a million carrots. Tonnes of fruit, so I guess this is the point I start eating fruit. :))(indeed, it literally is, I'm eating an apple now as we have no bread* and only a tiny bit of cereal).

* going in the oven a bit later this morning
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I also have a million carrots. P suggested making carrot cake bit I'm not sure when flour and butter can be hard to get hold of. They'll last for ages anyway, won't they?

I had a look at all the supermarkets last night. Waitrose, Ocado and Sainsbury's just say that I'm not vulnerable so can't look at deliveries. I can get onto Asda and Tesco but they've not got any slots. I've got deliveries booked for the next couple of weeks so I'm hoping it might calm down after that.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I have loads of apples and a couple of pears, and just about enough sugar to stew them (with added cinnamon and ginger). Which I will then serve with cream for additional health. That'll be my fruit intake for the next few days, but when that goes I'll be forced into a shop.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Roasted carrots go down well as a side in our house - in normal times we’d do a whole bag and fight over seconds!

The Anna Jones braised root couscous thing I made to use up the swede of doom used carrots too and was pretty good.

I never think to make it myself but that salad you always get in a France with grated carrots is good.