Support a small business

Loralei

Re: Support a small business

Post by Loralei »

Glint wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:09 pm My hairdresser called to cancel as she has decided to close for 4 weeks. I offered to pay for my next appointment whenever she wanted to, and I could hear her gratitude.
Same. I don't have an appointment booked but phoned and asked if she wanted me to pay for my next cut and colour in advance and she cried :cry: She said she's still got plenty of bookings and no intention of closing but I told her to call me back if it's helpful later. Inalso suggested she advertise gift vouchers as I reckon plenty of people on a steady wage will go for it.

I can't see my favourite independent cafe weathering this at all. They've had such bad luck: the builders removing the flats above them left a massive hole in the roof so they flooded and were closed for ages and now this.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Leap wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:57 pm I love this shop in the south side and she was so lovely to me when I popped last year with my giant pram and newborn anxiety. I ordered some things from her last night and it’s not the slickest website but her choices are lovely and it’s the kind of shop you NEED. When I was there I found a perfect gift for one really awkward person, and really beautiful things for at least three other people that made it look like I had spent a lot of time and money thinking about them. :hbeat:

https://www.sunshinenumber1.co.uk/
I always mean to seek this place out, everyone raves about it.

Here is my local favourite. I love his art and will be buying some in support of his work.

https://stephenoneil.co.uk
viggy

Post by viggy »

Heebie Jeebie wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:21 pm
Leap wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:57 pm I love this shop in the south side and she was so lovely to me when I popped last year with my giant pram and newborn anxiety. I ordered some things from her last night and it’s not the slickest website but her choices are lovely and it’s the kind of shop you NEED. When I was there I found a perfect gift for one really awkward person, and really beautiful things for at least three other people that made it look like I had spent a lot of time and money thinking about them. :hbeat:

https://www.sunshinenumber1.co.uk/
I always mean to seek this place out, everyone raves about it.

Here is my local favourite. I love his art and will be buying some in support of his work.

https://stephenoneil.co.uk
Thank you for this, I have a some Stephen O'Neil prints in my kitchen but had temporarily forgotten his name. :love:
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

He's great isn't he? I can't go in the shop very often because I always pop in for a card and come out aboit £50 lighter with a bag of gifts for myself. What prints do you have?
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

This won't be of any use except to Irish turtles or turtle friends who are getting married. This designer is also my college tutor, but she's lovely and has had a lot of postponed weddings recently: https://www.facebook.com/suepearcecouture/
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
viggy

Post by viggy »

A can of irn bru, a tunnocks teacake and a caramel wafer :love: I got them nearly a decade ago now though, he seems to have moved away from snacks and into more landmark stuff. I may have just ordered myself a Kelpie :shh:
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I meant to say, some of these are amazing. I'm trying to imagine what my sister would make of a headress of blue fabric roses with a giant glittery knob sticking out of it! :mog:
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Jet

Post by Jet »

Most of mine won’t help you but i am planning to get take out quite frequently to try and help out locally.

A friends London based jewellery business could use any help. Her stuff is lovely.

https:// www. scratchlondon. co.uk/
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

viggy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:13 am A can of irn bru, a tunnocks teacake and a caramel wafer :love: I got them nearly a decade ago now though, he seems to have moved away from snacks and into more landmark stuff. I may have just ordered myself a Kelpie :shh:
:love: I love the Tunnocks. The Kelpies are great too. All his work is fab and the shop is a treasure trove.
viggy

Post by viggy »

Duophonic wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:43 pm My local businesses are shops but a school chum of my cousin has a small physical shop and they do some online stuff too.

If you can get past the twee name, she's recently given up her full time job to devote all of her time to it.

https://thepirateandbluebelle.com/
I want to sing their praises a bit - I ordered a print from them but the packaged arrived ripped open and the cardboard mount was creased. Less than an hour after I emailed them they got back to me and are sending a replacement - top notch customer service.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

That's great to hear. What did you order? :nosy:
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Skips

Post by Skips »

I really like want to (and probably will) order this
puffins.jpg
This is loads of stuff I really like and will probably order at some time in the future from there.
Jet

Post by Jet »

We have that! :theme:
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
viggy

Post by viggy »

Duophonic wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:49 pm That's great to hear. What did you order? :nosy:
IMG_20200318_141953.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Ooh nice!
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Skips

Post by Skips »

Jet wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:09 pm We have that! :theme:
I thought they looked familiar!

I spoke to J and ordered them last night, they will go in our bedroom when it gets decorated (probably in about 3 years time :mog: )
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

We had chippy tea last night, and also a quick drink in an absolutely deserted pub. I doubt my fiver will keep him going for long, but we were passing, and there's not much else I could do.

I very much like the idea of paying my hairdresser in advance. She is a very small salon owner, it wouldn't take much to break her. If I can't go to my appointment I will definitely offer to pay.

And I'm buying what groceries I can from the corner shop now. He needs me more than Asda does.
Heartsick.blog
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Hairdresser! Yes that's one I can help. Thanks Bendy.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I tried to pay my hairdresser and she refused, but she's part of a chain so I think her case is different.

Bendy, I don't mean this rudely but if you are treating patients without protective gear, should you really be going to pubs, however empty they are? (Please don't think I'm having a go. I'm incredibly grateful to healthcare workers, but that seems very risky to me.)
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

Ella77 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:56 am I tried to pay my hairdresser and she refused, but she's part of a chain so I think her case is different.

Bendy, I don't mean this rudely but if you are treating patients without protective gear, should you really be going to pubs, however empty they are? (Please don't think I'm having a go. I'm incredibly grateful to healthcare workers, but that seems very risky to me.)
I'm on holiday this week so I haven't had contact with a patient for 7 days. I know about the mask situation because of our work WhatsApp group. When I go back to work I will be taking an overnight bag with me on every shift so if I come into definite contact, I can stay away from home and other people.
Heartsick.blog