Inconsequential CV stories

Jet

Re: Inconsequential CV stories

Post by Jet »

Yes, I totally agree that it's sad it's even necessary but I'm glad they didn't over look this type of thing. They were doing twice weekly food pick ups, now moved to once to lessen contact.

Although it's not been perfect, and I can see how hard it has been to manage, I've been really impressed with their response in general to this. They were getting technology to tons of the older students but acknowledged 40% of their students don't have home internet so they were coming up with other ways to figure all this out (including at one point hotspots on school buses parked in neighborhoods for the school day).
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

This is happening all over America and it's such a tragedy that it's even necessary. :sad:

What I can't figure out is why they don't just increase food stamps for people who rely on free school meals instead of making school employees risk their safety to feed the children.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I don't think it's strange, I think it's good to highlight the mainly poorly paid and little regarded workers who working. They are also mainly working because they have no choice on the whole. The amount of enquiries I had via my freelance role from workers in these kind of jobs who are being made to come in to work in front line services, despite having high risk category people (often young children) at home, is staggering.

They are being told to come in, or take unpaid leave or just leave.

It's about time they were championed, but I cannot say from my experience that they are being respected at work by their employers just yet (not all employers blah blah blah)
Malan
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Sorry, I only meant strange from the point of view that it is on the cover of a magazine now when this has been happening for almost 3 weeks in the UK. Maybe Time Magazine is just American though? I totally agree with all the things you've said and think it is brilliant this has been organised so quickly and so well by school staff who have gone above and beyond often providing more than just lunches to ensure children and families have what they need.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

happyhighlandcoo wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:37 am Sorry, I only meant strange from the point of view that it is on the cover of a magazine now when this has been happening for almost 3 weeks in the UK. Maybe Time Magazine is just American though? I totally agree with all the things you've said and think it is brilliant this has been organised so quickly and so well by school staff who have gone above and beyond often providing more than just lunches to ensure children and families have what they need.
Yes, I agree, I think its taken a while for "the establishment" to recognise these types of keyworkers.

I too am impressed by the schools here and how they arranged the free school meals and vouchers.
Malan
viggy

Post by viggy »

The only problem with the vouchers is that you need to go to the shop in person with ID, which is no use if you have to self isolate. In general I'm impressed with how quickly it all got set up though.
Jet

Post by Jet »

It's not new here either it's been happening since day one of all this.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Would it not just be the case that they're highlighting it going on (which is a good thing) and theyve happened to chose this team?
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

On the way to pick up my click and collect, I saw a couple, or a pair of people anyway, walking along, each carrying one end of a roughly 6ft pole. Hanging in the middle of the pole was a small shopping bag with not much in it.

It puzzled me on all counts. The bag was tiny so didn't need two of them to carry it. The pole probably weighed more than the bag. Was the pole purely because they couldn't keep 6ft distance as they walked but then what about the bag?

And..... maybe they've always shopped like this and lockdown has nothing to do with it. :lol:
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

Whiiiiit???? That sounds fully bizarre :lol:

I was driving to Tesco the other day and saw a man wandering along the road swinging a massive dead (non-skinned) rabbit from one hand. It was very surreal.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Rebs :mog:
Jet

Post by Jet »

smalex wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:18 pm Would it not just be the case that they're highlighting it going on (which is a good thing) and theyve happened to chose this team?
Yes. I didn't think it's suggesting it's unique, new or that we were the only ones. I just thought it was good they were being recognised.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Definitely! That's what I assumed was the case when you posted. It's a good story to highlight and great for them to be the team who did it.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

We all need these widowed penguins enjoying the Melbourne skyline together today.

https://twitter.com/dogfather/status/12 ... 0825033729

ETA: It's not even a CV story, is it. :lol: I was just looking for the thread with nice distractions on it.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Oh my god :cry:.