The 'is this ok?' thread

Lily
Picker-Lily

Re: The 'is this ok?' thread

Post by Lily »

Oof! That's a Logainair flight and I've just found out I know the owners. Useful! If I lived in Inverness, that is. I would imagine it is because Jersey is remote and still needs some flights running to it for essential purposes.

Apparently we have Rita Ora isolating near us. #blessed
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Logan Air are the airline that serve the majority of the remote islands (and would explain the BE flight number as they took over a number of their routes). I wonder what is so essential in (or to) Jersey :puzz:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Tax haven-related stuff for the big wealth managers, I assume? They still need IT support out there, etc. There are some datacentres out there. Weird.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

Ah, I thought it was Flybe (which seemed confusing in itself) but Loganair makes sense. I thought it might be something to do with Jersey being a tax haven, Ella, but why it stops here first, who knows! If I need to cadge a lift to Jersey, I’ll speak to Lily :)) It does seem to be actually flying as it’s scheduled every day.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Could it be something to do with oil? I’d have thought their datacentres would be in Iceland though.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

It could potentially be, but in that case I’d have thought perhaps it might be a regular normal flight and we don’t generally have flights to Jersey (the only regular international flight is KLM to Amsterdam). I just don’t know. J has a client who works at the airport, I’m going to have to make him call him this week and ask him why!
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Resurrecting this as I have a question. I start my placement in 2 weeks, an hour away in a town I don't know at all. I'm obviously allowed to travel for that, but is it ok to do a practice run? I really need to know where I'm going on Day 1 as it's going to be stressful enough (my mentor doesn't work Mondays so no-one can actually tell me who to meet or what I'll be doing :verm: ) It won't be a problem if I'm stopped as I have an exemption certificate but obviously I can't 100% guarantee I won't crash/break down.
Roma

Post by Roma »

I think this would be fine in your circumstance assuming that you wouldn’t actually leave your car for the journey and that you have a reliable car that is unlikely to break down.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I looked this up when I was panicking about my car issue which needed to be fixed an hour’s drive away.

From memory you need to have a “reasonable” reason so I imagined being stopped and asked where I was going, and in my mind I felt it was reasonable and I’d be happy to explain it to anyone, so on that basis I cracked on.

So to me, your situation sounds entirely reasonable and I think you should do it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I remember in lockdown 1 I was concerned I might be stopped by some sort of roadblock and there was no such thing. Just say you’re headed to the hospital if stopped, it’s not a lie.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

The guidance is here, my situation came under “buying goods and services that you need”, but it says that the list “includes but is not limited to” other reasons as well.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... passengers
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I think it’s absolutely fine.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I think so too.
It is quite straightforward to find (J was in NICU there) and a bit less of a rabbit warren than the Bristol hospitals, I thought anyway. I definitely do a test run with no qualms though
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’d be amazed if you actually got stopped! It sounds fine anyway as it’s a genuine reason.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Lola wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:26 am I’d be amazed if you actually got stopped!
Me too, but it's as much about whether I'm being an arsehole, really.

I'm not at the hospital, Smal; this placement is in the community. In fact I can only do the practice run if they actually tell me where they are based as they're mid-move.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Oh, and thank you all :manners: