The 'is this ok?' thread

sally maclennane

Re: The 'is this ok?' thread

Post by sally maclennane »

Has anyone had to go to a hospital appointment? Just as this all kicked off, I went to the GP because of another lump in my breast. I have had these for about the last ten years, but they always tell me to get them checked out. I got a letter in today with an appointment next week, its the totally standard letter with no mention of Covid 19.

I know I need to go but I so dont want to go into a hospital right now :cry: J has said he'll come with me but that's probably not a good idea is it? He says he'll wait in the car. Obviously I wouldn't go if I had any symptoms but I dont. It's more that i dont want to sit in a waiting room with other people.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Everywhere at my hospital that is still seeing patients is operating strict distancing. Some clinics even have people waiting in their cars until it’s time to be seen but that isn’t always practical.
sally maclennane

Thanks Pip, that's helpful.
viggy

Post by viggy »

If there's an admin phone number on the letter, they should be able to tell you what protocols are in place, and hopefully ease your mind a bit so you know what to expect.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I was meant to go for an ECG, Sal, but it has been cancelled until further notice, as has my B12 injection.

It worries me a bit, as the ECG was to check whether the thyroid issue I have has affected my heart, and both conditions (thyroid and pernicious anaemia are auto-immune), but as you say, hospitals are maybe not the best places to be.

But. Of all the places to be, hospitals will presumably be ones that stick very strictly to safety guidelines. They will be policing the waiting rooms (you might have to wait in the car until you get a text when it's your turn, for instance) and they will be keeping all other appointments (like mine) to an absolute minimum.

I do understand your concerns, but I also think it's better to go than not.

Sorry - cross posted with people, as I answered the phone mid-post.
Last edited by Morganna on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

My friend who works in comms at a hospital has said the same regarding strict separation of covid and non-covid areas / entrances, she also said that their A&E departments have been exceptionally quiet - some days they’ve had no one come in at all - which just goes to show how frivolous a lot of the previous visits were!

I’d call them first to double check what the protocol will be, if I were you.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

What on earth happens to people without cars in these situations? You just don't go?
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
viggy

Post by viggy »

Mountain Goat wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:04 pm What on earth happens to people without cars in these situations? You just don't go?
I was wondering that when I had to go to the GP and phone from my car. I know most people have mobiles these days, but what if you don't? What if you have no car to wait in? It's not even like you can ask someone for a lift.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

S went to an MS appointment last week. He said they were very careful with distancing and made him wash guys hands and use gel a few times. It was also way quicker than usual. This was at the big new hospital. My dad was at A&E at the Vicky and said it was fine too, and again, very quiet.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

No, nor get a cab, or get the bus. I can walk to my GP and hospital if I needed to but what happens if you can't, because of distance or illness?
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
sally maclennane

There is no mention at all on the letter that I should wait outside (and obviously I'm fortunate enough to have a car) it's the same standard letter I would have got before we even knew of CV.

I guess I could phone them on Tuesday to find out but given what Shoe has said about S' experience, sounds like I'll just be in and out as usual - same health board, different hospital though.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

It’s amazing how much this stuff all varies. All my dad’s cancer related check ups and appointments were cancelled - presumably because he’s deemed as high risk.

T needs a check up for his medication and we had the option of going into the doctors office or via FaceTime which is what we’ve opted for. Our immigration physical can go ahead as planned too but we’ve deferred as it doesn’t feel the right time to be in a doctors office.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

God, I wish I’d not mentioned the car thing now! :))

Just phone them to double check and I’m sure all will be well. I hope you’re ok Sal.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

olive wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:33 pm Our immigration physical can go ahead as planned too but we’ve deferred as it doesn’t feel the right time to be in a doctors office.
I hope your office is better than the one R was sent to. I would avoid until this is over, if possible. And then still wear masks and gloves. (yours may be much better because you're in a major city)
geek_kitten

Post by geek_kitten »

sally maclennane wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:35 pm Has anyone had to go to a hospital appointment? Just as this all kicked off, I went to the GP because of another lump in my breast. I have had these for about the last ten years, but they always tell me to get them checked out. I got a letter in today with an appointment next week, its the totally standard letter with no mention of Covid 19.

I know I need to go but I so dont want to go into a hospital right now :cry: J has said he'll come with me but that's probably not a good idea is it? He says he'll wait in the car. Obviously I wouldn't go if I had any symptoms but I dont. It's more that i dont want to sit in a waiting room with other people.
Aw sal. If it helps, I had to go back the clinic too just before lockdown kicked in. It was much quieter than normal with very few people there, and I was seen very quickly (I was out in just over an hour).

I sat with my arms practically wrapped around myself and had a supply of tissues handy so I didn't have to touch door handles and changed all my clothes and had a shower after getting home!
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

Sal, you might find the hospital give you a call the day or 2 before your appointment to let you know of any particular arrangements and probably confirm you have no possible covid 19 symptoms. The guidelines are changing all the time so they are leaving phoning until right near the appointment.
sally maclennane

Thanks Geek, that's useful to know.

Teasel, its Wednesday next week so they would have to call me on Tuesday as I'm assuming they'll be shut tomorrow and Monday.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

sally maclennane wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:54 pm Thanks Geek, that's useful to know.

Teasel, its Wednesday next week so they would have to call me on Tuesday as I'm assuming they'll be shut tomorrow and Monday.
They might call you for sure. My GP called me the day before my appt.
Malan
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Cube needed a trauma outpatients appointment about his ankle last week. There was no phone call. I called them to ask what practices were out in place and was met with a message saying if it wasn’t an emergency I wasn’t to call.

People had to queue in the corridor and be let in as a trickle to gel their hands and sit separately. We were then moved to a private room to wait for a consultant.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Good luck, Sal - when you do go I imagine as Beatrix says it'll be far safer than going into a supermarket!

I am due to have an ultrasound. Well I've been due one since 25th February and I chased it politely 3 weeks ago but don't want to be a pain. However, I'd like my polyp with its 8% chance of being cancerous out. I don't know at what point you become a pain in the arse (ho ho) by chasing this kind of thing though.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored