The 'is this ok?' thread

Beena

Re: The 'is this ok?' thread

Post by Beena »

Hope you're okay, Sal.

Bambs has an appointment next month and I'm torn about what to do. She's on thyroid meds and hasn't been seen since Dec 2018, courtesy of no-show consultants, repeated cancellations and moving. We've waited 6 months for this referral. It's in Bristol, which is a good 6-7 hour round trip from here.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Difficult, Been, Can you ask them for a phone consultation to determine whether she needs to attend?

Mr L has had to take S to hospital twice due to his broken arm, and has appointment next Thursday to get his cast taken off. He said the second visit was infinitely better than the first - they'd sorted out lanes for moving around, had changed around the waiting rooms, closed the cafe etc in the main reception, so you basically came in, sat down in a room with just two chairs until called, and then left.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

All our canteens & coffee bars are closed except for picking up your packed breakfast/lunch/dinner in the main restaurant. When I went for training at our elective site this week some lovely boys were dropping off a load of pizzas for the ITU team at main reception. The actual hospitals are so quiet.
smalex

Post by smalex »

It's our next door neighbour's 90th birthday today and obviously her family can't do much for her :cry:

If I make her a cake, does this present a big risk to her?

We aren't displaying any symptoms.
viggy

Post by viggy »

The virus is killed in cooking - to keep it as low risk as possible I'd suggest something that doesn't need a lot of icing, maybe?
smalex

Post by smalex »

That's what I thought... but I'd need to get it out of a tin at some point and put it on a plate though?
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

That’s a lovely thought, smal. I don’t think a cake presents a massive risk, to be honest. You could wear gloves while cooking/decorating if you are really worried?
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Could you wear gloves?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ok good plan. I can protect my hands while I get it out and use a plate straight out of the dishwasher, leave it on the door step.

Thanks all!
Beena

Post by Beena »

That's really kind of you, Smal.
Livilla wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:06 pm Difficult, Been, Can you ask them for a phone consultation to determine whether she needs to attend?
That's a good idea, if only to push the appointment back a little. I'm hoping restrictions are partially relaxed before then, as I think she needs to be seen. Her heart is racing again. It could be anxiety, but coupled with the persistent diarrhoea and constant hunger, she's having a miserable time.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

That’s really lovely of you Smal. I’m obviously a bit oblivious to the risks as I hadn’t considered baking would pose a risk (much like I hadn’t really panicked too ouch about touching my groceries until I read about it here).
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

I think a cake is a lovely idea.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Oh Smal what a lovely idea - I agree something like a fruit loaf or similar would last and be a treat for several days
smalex

Post by smalex »

A marble loaf is in the oven as we speak!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

That's very kind, Smal. My 90th birthday is tomorrow #justsaying
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
smalex

Post by smalex »

:uhh:
rosy

Post by rosy »

Lily wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:51 am That's very kind, Smal. My 90th birthday is tomorrow #justsaying
You look remarkable for your age :flirt:

That is a lovely thought, smal.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Will she be able to pick it up if its on the doorstep?
smalex

Post by smalex »

It's done. I slide it onto a clean plate, still with the greaseproof paper around it then carried the plate with a clean tea towel, left it on the chair she has by the front door for catching the morning sun, knocked the door then backed away, she took it by picking it up in the paper and never touched my plate, which I took back and put straight in the dishwasher and washed my hands. The thought that goes into things these days :lol:. She was very pleased anyway!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That’s so nice.