The 'is this ok?' thread

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

The 'is this ok?' thread

Post by Kenickie »

I'm pretty clear on when and how to self isolate as needs be, as that advice is all very clear, but I think the social distancing is a little less clear, so thought we could use this thread for any questions.

I'll kick off: 1) we had a meter reader around a few days ago. Our electric meter is in the kitchen, so he just walked around to there (following at a distance) and then just read the meter and noted down the result without touching anything (P opened the cupboard for him). Is this fine in future or should we refuse? It was totally unexpected so I didn't really know what to do in the situation other than go along with it.

2) is it ok to go for a walk side by side alongside another person in another household, in a big park or similar so you can keep a distance apart and wouldn't be touching or anything and neither of you is coughing or showing other symptoms? I'm thinking it would be pretty hard to pass anything on like this but maybe there's something I'm missing?

3) we've been having takeaways delivered. I guess there's some risk in this. Is there much more if we went to eg pick up fish and chips as long as we kept apart from other people in the queue? Or just not worth it? Or eg going to a food van or kiosk where there's no queue?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Hazey_Jane

Re: The 'is this ok?' thread

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Following on from Ken’s number 3- what’s the difference between getting a takeaway delivered and me going to a restaurant? Restaurants here have to maintain 1.5m between all patrons, my hands are washed before leaving the house, I don’t come into contact with anyone or anything en route, I disinfect before and after touching anything and wash my hands before leaving. I pay with card. There seems to be the same amount of contact as a takeaway transaction. So why is a takeaway deemed okay?

Sorry if I’m being dim.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Well it's not quite the same, is it? You don't have strangers sitting 1.5m away from you in your house, do you.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I was told (by a doctor) that walking past someone else in a park etc is fine. It’s face to face interaction for at least 15 minutes which is dangerous (assuming no actual physical contact).
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Over here you are allowed to exercise alone outside the house, or with someone from your home. I don't know if officially you're allowed to walk 2m parallel with your friend - on the news on the first day of restrictions when the police were just speaking to people and not issuing fines, they showed two elderly men sitting on a bench, and they just told them they had to have their forms with them, and should be sitting further apart from each other.

OTOH The mayor of Paris said yesterday that too many people were congregating eg on the banks of the Seine, and they'd have to introduce more closures if people weren't more responsible.

I think generally it's partly about what's easy to define and for people to understand and not interpret as they please.

Re. restaurant vs takeaway, I think there are lots of differences. If you go to the restaurant you have to touch the door, chair, table, cutlery etc. that other people have touched, probably take off your coat and leave it somewhere, possibly go to the toilet. Even if everyone there properly observes the restrictions, you'd still have the wait staff coming to your table at least 3 times, other customers walking past your table etc. etc. Whereas with takeaway the only common surface being touched is payment and the outer bag, you can then wash your hands once and be done.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

This is a slightly technical article about virus survival on surfaces but I found it helped inform my thinking a bit. BBC link.
Margo

Post by Margo »

I’m becoming a bit hysterical about cleanliness and can’t help thinking if I get a takeaway delivered it will have been cooked, packed, delivered by probably at least 2 different people and I can have no idea about their personal hygiene so NO, not doing it!!!

Sorry. I need to turn my brain off for a bit I think :(
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:11 am I was told (by a doctor) that walking past someone else in a park etc is fine. It’s face to face interaction for at least 15 minutes which is dangerous (assuming no actual physical contact).
Sorry, I didn't mean waking past, I meant more arranging to walk with someone but keeping our distance? Or maybe sitting apart on a bench as PG says.

That's useful, Bats.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Margo wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 am I’m becoming a bit hysterical about cleanliness and can’t help thinking if I get a takeaway delivered it will have been cooked, packed, delivered by probably at least 2 different people and I can have no idea about their personal hygiene so NO, not doing it!!!

Sorry. I need to turn my brain off for a bit I think :(
I know, my head is exploding a bit over this too, I need to calm my tits though or I’ll be spraying down my shopping delivery on the doorstep :lol:
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Princess Morripov wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:33 am I’ll be spraying down my shopping delivery on the doorstep :lol:
It has crossed my mind to do this :look: :mog: :twitch:
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

As long as I am expected to treat patients in hospital with no masks, I can't get worked up about who cooked my chips 🤷‍♀️
Heartsick.blog
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Bendywendywoo wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:44 am As long as I am expected to treat patients in hospital with no masks, I can't get worked up about who cooked my chips 🤷‍♀️
Perspective.

Thank you, Bendy. We owe you and your colleagues so very much.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Edith Bacon wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:46 am
Bendywendywoo wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:44 am As long as I am expected to treat patients in hospital with no masks, I can't get worked up about who cooked my chips 🤷‍♀️
Perspective.

Thank you, Bendy. We owe you and your colleagues so very much.
Ww truly, truly do.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Kenickie wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:13 am
Texaco Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:11 am I was told (by a doctor) that walking past someone else in a park etc is fine. It’s face to face interaction for at least 15 minutes which is dangerous (assuming no actual physical contact).
Sorry, I didn't mean waking past, I meant more arranging to walk with someone but keeping our distance? Or maybe sitting apart on a bench as PG says.
We're encouraging that for some of our homeworkers who live near each other. Swindon has some large parks that they can meet in (and I shared the NT news with them) and see somebody in person without getting too close. Of course, if guidance changes then that might change.
geek_kitten

Post by geek_kitten »

The way I look at it, I don't think I've ever caught* anything from eating out or a takeaway so my assumption is that generally places have reasonable food hygiene. Therefore, I'm going to assume that whatever measures they have in place are adequate.

*Obviously these are not normal times and CV is pretty infectious, people don't have much immunity to it, etc etc.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I am going for a run with a friend later but as she always prefers to run a bit behind whoever she’s with it should be fine.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's reassuring, Wendy. I think I'll try and get out for a weekly walk with a friend then. I thought I was an introvert but it turns out I'm a bit desperate for some face to face chat with someone other than P!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I'm taking turns around the park with a local friend because we can't do much else, and it feels very Jane Austen. I'm wary that the park today will probably be infiltrated by last day of school celebrations so good to know that being around other humans in the open air is mostly ok as long as I'm not talking to them face to face for 15 minutes.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Margo

Post by Margo »

I definitely need some perspective! But it’s difficult, there’s so much advice and information, much of it conflicting, and i do need to get a grip! I’m wfh, live alone, have plenty of food, tp, booze etc etc and have a car so I can get out and about for fresh air. I’m lucky and need to remember that.

Sorry for the doom (after me just saying no doom allowed on another thread here!)
Disco

Post by Disco »

Thank you Bendy to you and your colleagues and I hope you all get the protective equipment you all need asap.

Saying that, I do feel the same Margo. I'm washing my milk bottle deliveries with soap and hot water. The postman put someone else's post through my door yesterday and I picked up with tongs and called him to retrieve it (it wasn't even my road otherwise I'd have shoved it through the correct letterbox and probably accidentally dropped my tongs through).