The 'is this ok?' thread

Zoomer

Re: The 'is this ok?' thread

Post by Zoomer »

Teasel wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:38 am
Zoomer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:21 pm Sorry if I'm being disagreeable, but this thresd is really annoying me. Just stay at home and don't go out unless youreally, really haveto. Don't go out and if you have to go out, go alone. It's not hard.
It is hard for some people though. I'm a single parent. My parents live an hour or so drive away and are over 70. My brother who is local is in an at risk group. I will need food shopping next week and I have no-one to leave my child with while I do it. All the home delivery slots are gone and anyway I can't sustain using those shops when I usually shop at Aldi or Lidl. I know from the FB support groups I'm on that there are many, many people in similar situations.
Going out to do essential food shopping is obviously essential. I'm not suggesting that anyone starves themselves, just that if you have to ask if it's ok, then it's probably not.
indigo

Post by indigo »

The food shopping thing is crazy, isn't it? No-one can get a delivery slot and given that we (and our animals) have to eat, there really isn't a choice about going out. The whole thing is absolutely crazy. And yes, the minimum spend amount is just not affordable long-term. I know I'm going to start struggling soon.

Does anyone think the government will suspend power and water bills like they've done in Italy?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Without trying to start an argument- People are trying to get their heads around a completely new reality. I think it's helpful to have a thread where people can voice their questions, even if the answer is repeatedly 'No'. Not just right now, but because most people aren't going to be able to 100% isolate themselves and I think we'll all be trying to work out the best way of doing something unavoidable sooner or later, while minimising risk. I don't want to feel like we don't have a space where we can't discuss this.

Unless their question is asking if they can go and lick everyone in a pub or something, obviously :uhh:

edited because I thought of a different way of expressing my feelings.
Last edited by smalex on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

indigo wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:51 amDoes anyone think the government will suspend power and water bills like they've done in Italy?
I’ve been trying to work out if it would be better to suspend payment for everything but food and that way no one would be at risk of eviction or repossession or having utilities cut off. It doesn’t seem viable but I can’t put my finger on precisely why. I mean, it would never be implemented because profit etc. but as a temporary holding situation that applied to everyone it ought to be possible in theory.
Last edited by Edith Bacon on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

indigo wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:51 am The food shopping thing is crazy, isn't it? No-one can get a delivery slot and given that we (and our animals) have to eat, there really isn't a choice about going out.
Yes, and as our local shop is limiting milk to one per customer and we usually buy two at a time, this means having to physically go there twice as often 🤪. I have some in the freezer now so that means we don’t have to shop, but by buying some extra I’m also contributing to the problem of empty shelves. There isn’t a perfect solution.

I agree smal, we’re figuring it out as we go along including the government unfortunately. The practicalities of daily life mean that there are 101 variables that we’re all discovering that haven’t been instructed.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

smalex wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:58 am Without trying to start an argument- People are trying to get their heads around a completely new reality. I think it's helpful to have a thread where people can voice their questions, even if the answer is repeatedly 'No'. Not just right now, but because most people aren't going to be able to 100% isolate themselves and I think we'll all be trying to work out the best way of doing something unavoidable sooner or later, while minimising risk. I don't want to feel like we don't have a space where we can't discuss this.
Yeah, you're right. I'm just being a grump, sorry.
smalex

Post by smalex »

You're not! We're all just trying to find a way through this.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I do freelance advice work for a charity for carers and I think Teasel's post really sums up the difficult decisions people are trying to make.
I've been taken off normal advice and put on answering the flood of C19 emails that have poured in.

Most are of the "is it ok?" type, because people are feeling worried and desperate and don't have the option of just staying in. Everyone is trying to find a way through (idiots aside), as Smal says above. (said with love and that)
Malan
indigo

Post by indigo »

Zoomer wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:05 am Yeah, you're right. I'm just being a grump, sorry.
Zooms :hug:
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I think Smal is right, it's really hard to know what's right, and trying to find a balance between social distancing and getting what we need. We have been going out for food, there's no way we'd be able to get an online delivery.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:59 am M's dad had a parrot who coughed for attention. Imagine the chaos they could have reigned.
I once had a mynah bird (called Morris :)) ) who developed the most appalling phlegmy smoker's cough you've ever heard. :lol:

R has annoyed me by going off to play golf with about 20 members of his society this morning, somewhere the other side of Limerick. They're travelling separately and all the club houses are closed, so - he says - they'll play their round and get back in car and come home. Even so, we have a golf club on our door stop, and - although golf is an open air game - it just seems an unnecessay risk to travel to a strange club. I've annoyed him back, by sending him off with tissues, home-made hand sanitiser - and disposable gloves in case he needs to stop for fuel. :))
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

That has made me so ragey, OTH. Golf is not fucking essential.

If people put as much energy into doing what they are told as they do into skirting as close to the edge of what they think they can get away with then we would be fine.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Edith Bacon wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:10 am That has made me so ragey, OTH. Golf is not fucking essential.
Oh, thank you, Edith! I was afraid I was being overly alarmist.

The thing is that Clare only has 5 reported cases, but it won't stay that way if people don't stop taking unnecessary trips.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

What if he picks it up whilst he’s out and brings it back to you?

Some people here are terrified of going out to do essential, unavoidable shopping and yet people are still playing fucking golf? Unbelievable.
rosy

Post by rosy »

People want to think that the illness is something that happens to others. I think that’s part of what is so scary about the USA administration calling it the “Chinese virus” (and disgustingly “Kung flu”). It’s “othering” the virus and the people who get it, which makes people think it can’t happen to them.

The more people continue with their normal activities, though, the more the virus will spread and the greater chance we’ll end up seeing an Italian-type lockdown.

ETA food shopping is essential; people should still do that while taking precautions. But otherwise, stay at home!
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I'm so worried my dad will have gone golfing today too. I know he did on Wednesday. I've tired to see if the course is still open, and it seems to be taking tee times, so I'm guessing it is.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Edith Bacon wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:19 am What if he picks it up whilst he’s out and brings it back to you?
Quite. :mad: I think all these guys are just assuming that if they get it, it will be just the mild version. Even if they don't mean to, it's just giving airspace to the old "it's only flu" trope. I'm really, genuinely frightened. R is 68 next week and I'm no spring chicken.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Maybe I’m being unreasonably harsh. Perhaps golf is just fine. I tend towards a black and white approach at the best of times and that is heightened when I’m anxious.

I believe we should all be staying inside for anything but the most essential of reasons, but my idea of essential will be different to that of lots of other people.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Golf definitely fits into non essential.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Aargh! People need to stop thinking of this as flu. The virus is more different from a flu virus than a buttercup is to a polar bear. It’s a SARS variant.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.