The 'is this ok?' thread

Disco

Re: The 'is this ok?' thread

Post by Disco »

I didn't think the fish was very 'you' Tex! :mog:
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Bat Macdui wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:05 pm Cornwall are actively asking people not to travel there as they are concerned their minimal healthcare provision (designed round a rural and transient population) would be overwhelmed if both the population and people travelling needed care at the same time. I think the Lakes would be easily overwhelmed. Whitehaven Hospital is barely sufficient for the west coast. Serious cases go to Preston and Lancaster.
The hospital (yes, there is only one major hospital for the whole of Cornwall) is overrun at the best of times. I can understand people wanting to run away here, and also for people who rely on tourism to want to have some income (this includes my job which is now shaky and also I won't be doing Airbnb this year), but people have to stay away. :sad:
elena

Post by elena »

The Catalan Health Department puts out a regular FAQ's bulletin about the lockdown here. Today's specifically included 'can I travel to my second home ?' and the unequivocal answer was 'No'. The county hospitals (perfectly formed but small) couldn't cope.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

It’s quite a likeable fish but completely unintentional.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Shoe wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:40 pm This is a really stupid question, dogs can't get it, can they? The office dog came in today and he coughed earlier. :eek:

I am sure I've seen people saying online animals can't get it but I'm so paranoid I don't know anymore.
It's totally not a stupid question, but this has really tickled me "The office dog came in today and he coughed earlier". I'm imagining a very human type of bloke cough :lol:
Malan
Disco

Post by Disco »

Marth :mog:

I was scared of George Michael the other day because he coughed too. It sounded very dry.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

ParisGal wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:55 pm They said over here that only nebulised liquids can rest airborne for longer than it'd take a raindrop to fall. So only eg. dentists are in situations where the virus could actually just be in the air.
Ah, OK. I was basing my thoughts on the advice that a cough or sneeze can travel 10 feet before it lands - which is what I wrote originally, before realising that a runner's breathing probably wasn't comparable.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Sorry if I'm being disagreeable, but this thresd is really annoying me. Just stay at home and don't go out unless youreally, really haveto. Don't go out and if you have to go out, go alone. It's not hard.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Agreed.
TracyA

Post by TracyA »

The holiday home/ smaller hospital hasn’t crossed my mind! I don’t have a holiday home so it’s not relevant to me, but it shows how we don’t see the big picture at times.

OH is coming up north for the weekend, supposedly to ensure his parents are ready for self isolation in the same way I am doing for my mum. He told me today he was either going to his friends en route and they’d go for a few drinks or his friend was coming here and staying at his mums and they’d go for a few drinks then maybe back to hers . His friends daughter is a care worker and his wife works at a dr surgery . I told OH if he wants to do that then fine, but not to come to my mums house as it’s totally defeating the point , and he might want to think of his own elderly parents who he is coming to help out.

His friends mum is in her 90s and dying of lung cancer .

He did call me back to say he decided it was probably best not to meet up with his friend. These are professional men who are both 60. How can they even have contemplated it.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Because professional men in their 60s have done exactly what they wanted to do for the last 60 years?
TracyA

Post by TracyA »

You could be right there Edith . Although I would like to have thought OH wasn’t really in that category . He seems to get worse as he gets older despite having a daughter as well as me to point out the obvious .
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm glad he saw sense, Tracy!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Marth wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:29 pm
Shoe wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:40 pm This is a really stupid question, dogs can't get it, can they? The office dog came in today and he coughed earlier. :eek:

I am sure I've seen people saying online animals can't get it but I'm so paranoid I don't know anymore.
It's totally not a stupid question, but this has really tickled me "The office dog came in today and he coughed earlier". I'm imagining a very human type of bloke cough :lol:
It didn't sound like a normal dog cough, that's why I panicked. :lol:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:lol: we're all becoming animal cough experts now.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

M's dad had a parrot who coughed for attention. Imagine the chaos they could have reigned.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:59 am M's dad had a parrot who coughed for attention. Imagine the chaos they could have reigned.
:mog:
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Edith Bacon wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:34 pm Because professional men in their 60s have done exactly what they wanted to do for the last 60 years?
That’s why. And men are less scared than women because pretty much nothing bad has ever happened to men on a macro scale.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

"Scientists baffled that men make up majority of cases, and deaths"

Men: "Sod this, chaps, let's just meet at Wetherspoons."
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

Zoomer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:21 pm Sorry if I'm being disagreeable, but this thresd is really annoying me. Just stay at home and don't go out unless youreally, really haveto. Don't go out and if you have to go out, go alone. It's not hard.
It is hard for some people though. I'm a single parent. My parents live an hour or so drive away and are over 70. My brother who is local is in an at risk group. I will need food shopping next week and I have no-one to leave my child with while I do it. All the home delivery slots are gone and anyway I can't sustain using those shops when I usually shop at Aldi or Lidl. I know from the FB support groups I'm on that there are many, many people in similar situations.