Home Working Set Up

Texaco Shirley

Re: Home Working Set Up

Post by Texaco Shirley »

nineseven wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:24 pm Or learn carpentry.
Cluef might have some time on her hands...
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

H1ppychick wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 pm Maybe one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONGMICS-Adjus ... 66&sr=8-58
This is a weeny version on the Tripp Trapp high chair. :lol:
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Or, if you really want basic function which is cheap as chips,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paper-Maker-Ca ... 539&sr=8-1
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I don't, I want something stylish and convenient to use.

Sadly, that nice one is too big for my desk, so I don't have to talk myself out of it.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

This one is just back in stock at VonHaus, if you’re interested? I got my monitor mount and tower fan from them recently and they are good value for money and well made.

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/adjustable-standing-desk
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

After nearly 4 months I have finally worked from home!

I decided a conference centre style bottle of water was necessary.
IMG_20200709_084903~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

H1ppychick wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:55 am This one is just back in stock at VonHaus, if you’re interested? I got my monitor mount and tower fan from them recently and they are good value for money and well made.

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/adjustable-standing-desk
This is very similar to what I bought at the start of lockdown, except different brand. Mine cost maybe the equivalent of £20 less than that, but broke a bit after a few weeks’ use raising it up and down. Basically the supporting screws on one of the legs keep coming loose so it feels not as sturdy as it could be. With better build quality I’d have been really happy with it. That said I also got a padded wobble board to use with it when standing to try and take some pressure off joints. I’m not sure I needed the wobble factor (thought it might make me move slightly more :woteva: ) but I’d definitely want a padded mat to stand on either way.

I am going to investigate the Oploft as we have been given another stipend for extended WFH (which is very generous, I know!)
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’d have got the Oploft if my current desk wasn’t slightly too small! It does look good. Instead I’ve ordered this (which should *just* fit) but the white one is out of stock until the end of July, so it will be a while until it gets here.

3F32A3DF-2AC8-4584-9B93-8F0CEA73E6CA.jpeg
3B9C7521-5ADE-43A8-9B1B-59B741F19FF0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Very nice Ella.

I'm considering quite a radical solution to my home working issues. My set up just isn't quite right however I tinker with it, and I do hate the lack of separation between work and home that comes from working in the living room.

My spare bedroom isn't huge and at the moment is mostly bed and built in cupboards. I'm thinking of having the above bed cupboards taken out, making the bed into a wall bed in a box, then putting some fold down shelves on the wall opposite to create a desk that can be totally disappeared when it's needed as a bedroom. The best thing about it is that I can get everything at exactly the right height for me.

Its going to be £££s though :cry:
Margo

Post by Margo »

That does sound lovely, Derek.

I’m back to work on Monday after 103 days of furlough and I’ve decided that instead of sitting on the sofa with the laptop on my legs or using the dining table, I’m going to use a spare room for an office. I have a white desk up there which I use as a sewing table, and a choice of 2 chairs, and it has a huge window which will be lovely to sit under.

The only issue will be that I won’t be able to leave the garden door open all day for Mimi as I usually do as I the room overlooks the front of the house rather than the rear but we’ll cope.

I may set it all up tomorrow in readiness. I already have new notebooks and pens to start back with 😊
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve been looking into wall beds recently for our study and they weren’t right for us, but you can get some amazing ones, including horizontal ones that look like a low sideboard but still fold out into a double bed. Some even have desks incorporated.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I thought of those Ella (the desk incorporated ones) but they'd be too shallow / not high enough for me. Shame, as that would be the neatest solution.

I need a vertical one as I'd like to keep some of the built in cupboards, I'm just :fc: I have enough ceiling height as it's low in there - I'm starting to arrange some carpenters to come round to quote, so we'll see. Ive found a ready made option which looks OK but I'll discuss that vrs bespoke.
Margo

Post by Margo »

Ella77 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:05 am I’ve been looking into wall beds recently for our study and they weren’t right for us, but you can get some amazing ones, including horizontal ones that look like a low sideboard but still fold out into a double bed. Some even have desks incorporated.
I went into a loop on Facebook videos a while back and saw some amazing transforming furniture from Japanese designers... I saw a wall bed / desk and shelves which was such a good idea, very neat and useful. Massively expensive I’d imagine though!
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I'm trying to remember your spare room, Derek, and where the door is relative to the foot of the bed. Would it be possible to shift the bed left a bit and create a desk on the right hand side, by the window, built into what's cupboard now? Obviously you'd still need to take out some cupboards to the left of the bed. Or would the bed just obstruct the door?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It would unfortunately - there's no other way to do it, it's a tight old space, especially with a king sized double. And I have no intention of compromising my guests' comfort :))
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Well I won't argue with that. :mrgreen:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I think getting something custom-made would be great. Please show us when it’s done.

I’ve been working with my laptop balanced on a stack of books for months, so when I found this very simple laptop stand, I ordered it. It is one more thing to have to store somewhere, but at least the laptop won’t be at risk of over-heating like it was before :uhh:.

753C3AD3-3483-45E1-ACB9-137F20177C31.jpeg
It’s all a bit fingerprint-y :lol:. Lovely.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I love that, Ella!
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

That is clever! I like the look of your lamp too. It looks like concrete.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thank you. It is concrete :)).