Is this legal? Cancellation policy

Dandelion

Re: Is this legal? Cancellation policy

Post by Dandelion »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:41 pm That link says this though.
This situation is completely unprecedented, and the Government is urgently reviewing options to introduce temporary changes to regulations that will create a longer window for repaying refunds without affecting the protection provided by an ABTA or ATOL protected holiday.
Sounds like refunds may still be possible?
Yes, if the company is offering them. If not, ABTA are supportive of a credit note.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Ah, ok. Thanks. I can see the reasoning.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Dandelion wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:43 pm
Beena wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:40 pm This isn't an ABTA company though, Dande. It's a lettings agent for private owners.

If they just offered credit, I'd have taken that, but in order to get qualify for credit, they're telling people when they can use it and demanding a further 10% of the cost upfront.
That is a bit rubbish then, especially asking for more money upfront. I doubt this will do anything to help them gain future bookers!

At least you still have a holiday to look forward to, if that is of any comfort. :lol:
We don't as the date they've told us we have to book is mid-week in the middle of exams. We wouldn't be able to go.

I genuinely appreciate that things are difficult, but just a little flexibility would help. We can either stump up another £50 to take a break on a week they've dictated or we lose 60% of what we've paid.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Oof. My travel insurance emailed the other day saying that it covered the covid situation. I have booked flights and accommodation separately.

I understand it, as a lot of companies are going to go bust otherwise, but - bugger. Mind you I am happy with a credit note.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Have you looked into the Section 75 claim, Beena? It’s got to be worth a try.
Slanket

Post by Slanket »

We have received the following from Air Bnb today:

On 23 March, the UK Government directed that people must stay at home apart from essential travel or they may face penalties. This came into effect immediately and includes all non-essential travel within the UK. The UK Government has also issued further guidance to businesses and premises to close, which covers accommodation businesses.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:17 pm Have you looked into the Section 75 claim, Beena? It’s got to be worth a try.
I had a dig around online, but there's nothing from my bank. I'll have another look tomorrow and then try to speak to someone. I've been in back to back video meetings all day - I can get away with typing furiously on here, but maybe not chatting on the phone.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

When you can, just call the credit card company. That should be all you need to do. Good luck.
Betty Bee

Post by Betty Bee »

Dandelion wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:44 pm
Ella77 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:41 pm That link says this though.
This situation is completely unprecedented, and the Government is urgently reviewing options to introduce temporary changes to regulations that will create a longer window for repaying refunds without affecting the protection provided by an ABTA or ATOL protected holiday.
Sounds like refunds may still be possible?
Yes, if the company is offering them. If not, ABTA are supportive of a credit note.
But then it also says:

• This protection will last until 31 July 2020 at the latest at which point, if you have not used the Refund Credit Note to book another holiday, you will be entitled to a cash refund.

So it sounds like if you haven't used the credit not by that date you get the refund. Or am I reading it wrong?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That’s what I thought too.
Beena

Post by Beena »

I've had a late night reply from the company to my request for a refund and it's bordering on aggressive. It seems the majority have accepted their offer and I'm being unreasonable. Don't I want to see sense and accept?

I'm beyond angry.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Share it on here and hopefully people can help you word a response? Or just reply repeating yourself.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Stop engaging and talk to the credit card company.
Beena

Post by Beena »

I found the credit card company's forms last night, Ella and I have to try to resolve it with the company first. It'll take one last email and I'm done. I've managed to calm down so hopefully can keep it professional, even if they can't.

Did you know there's a global pandemic?
Beena

Post by Beena »

Ella77 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:51 am Stop engaging.
Ella, this turned out to be the best advice.

I got caught up with work last week and genuinely didn't get chance to respond to a series of increasingly passive-aggressive rants from the owners. By the weekend, they'd talked themselves into offering a full(ish) refund and had labelled me a very bad person. :look:

All very odd, but the money has gone back in my account and I shall do as they say - think on in future, and try not to be part of the problem. :teacher:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

:lol:
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

You really should have anticipated this global pandemic better when you were makung your holiday plans, Beena. Tsk.

Glad you got the money back anyway.