Woo

SunnyMum

Re: Woo

Post by SunnyMum »

Gawd. You were a teenager in the 90s!! I was a mother. I feel really old.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I love that a serious Ruby is dead thread would be titled Woo. :))
smalex wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:13 pm I don't think I believe in any of this sort of stuff. My star sign is quite accurate for my personality, mind.
:))

I don’t believe in any woo I don’t think but I was raised in a House of Woo big time.

Mr O is still bemused to have a little old lady rush at him to either paint a hidden black dot on his person or burn chillis and waft them around his head to ward off the evil eye.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

smalex wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:13 pm I don't think I believe in any of this sort of stuff. My star sign is quite accurate for my personality, mind.
I don’t know your star sign, but I can guarantee it’s quite accurate for my personality too :)) Broad statements that cover opposing characteristics, plus confirmation bias means it’s easy to agree with what we recognise and dismiss what we don’t. E.g. “You have strong opinions when it matters, but don’t always feel like you have to put your point forward.” I wouldn’t take away the hours of joy I got from the Tarot cards I once got in Sugar, though :love2: Is he the boy for me?!! The free gift will know!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I like the yoga meditation and visualising the colours that match the chakras. I mean it’s bollocks, but it’s not unpleasant.
Roma

Post by Roma »

I think acupuncture is even available on the NHS, so I don’t think it’s Woo.

Hypnosis is not Woo either. I think it needs to be done by a trained professional though.

I have some crystals, but only because I thought they are pretty decorations. When I bought them the lady in the shop gave me some advice on how to clean them with incense sticks but I didn’t do that.

I also have a chakra bracelet that was a gift from a friend. I don’t believe in it either and to be honest I’m not really sure what they are for or what balancing my chakras actually means.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Turtle Bean wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 pm Why would Zoomer be the first to know that Ruby had died? It would be Bats or Bramble.
More likely to be Bats.

I'm not really into woo but I do believe in acupuncture and gong baths.

And have talked about chakra alignment
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

The typical traits of my star sign are everything that's NOT me, but then I'm a huge believer in Myers-Briggs which some people feel has as much basis in science so... :george:
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

What is a gong bath exactly? I could look it up but can't be bothered
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
smalex

Post by smalex »

Leap wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:25 pm
I don’t know your star sign, but I can guarantee it’s quite accurate for my personality too :)) Broad statements that cover opposing characteristics, plus confirmation bias means it’s easy to agree with what we recognise and dismiss what we don’t. E.g. “You have strong opinions when it matters, but don’t always feel like you have to put your point forward.” I wouldn’t take away the hours of joy I got from the Tarot cards I once got in Sugar, though :love2: Is he the boy for me?!! The free gift will know!
:lol: yeah but no, really. Very accurate :mrgreen:
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

One of the stones /crystals person on my Fb does gong baths, Bramble! You would fit right in here!
Luce

Post by Luce »

I think acupuncture and hypnosis are firmly in the woo camp along with homeopathy and believe in none of them. I do, weirdly, believe in the power of the mind though and have tried reflexology purely to get a nice foot massage. I'd try acupuncture and be willing it work just by my mind convincing me it would.

Whilst I'm hugely sceptical about all that woo, I'm a massive hippy with other stuff. Spiritual, self-help stuff. I adore Oprah, Brene Brown, Glennon Doyle etc. I think I perhaps should have been born Californian.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:28 pm I like the yoga meditation and visualising the colours that match the chakras. I mean it’s bollocks, but it’s not unpleasant.
I felt this about acupuncture and that tapping thing I did last year. I was also quite convinced by the theory behind acupuncture and trusted my practitioner and the results she had had with all types of issues, but I always thought with that sort of thing if the worst that happens is I spend 30-45 minutes resting, focusing on myself and positive thoughts then that’s still a good thing. “Plus people sometimes heal themselves with placebos!” is how my thought pattern always went while I handed over £££s.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I used to lump acupuncture in with homeopathy but actual clinical trials have proved some efficacy.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

bramblerose wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:29 pm
Turtle Bean wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 pm Why would Zoomer be the first to know that Ruby had died? It would be Bats or Bramble.
More likely to be Bats.
This is true OR, worryingly, TC who is FB friends with most of my real life friends. :lg:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

My mad cousin from Italy went apeshit at me for sharing a joke about crystals on Facebook. 😂
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

All of Woo's friends wanted to be my friend, it's true.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Roma wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:28 pm I think acupuncture is even available on the NHS, so I don’t think it’s Woo.
So is homeopathy, though, so unfortunately that's no indication. Bristol used to have an actual homeopathic hospital (but we would, wouldn't we :lol: )

I believe that things can affect your mood and therefore have an effect, I love a bit of aromatherapy for example, but that's about my limit.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

The placebo effect is an actual real thing, though. Which always makes me wonder how much of peoples problems/illnesses are ...not psychosomatic exactly, but ... I don't know how to say this without insulting people, including me, who suffer from mental health problems...how much your mental health influences your physical health, maybe?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I haven’t and probably still wouldn’t go for acupuncture, but dry needling sorted out a muscle that had spasmed LIKE THAT. That’s different though, as it’s not about improving energy flow.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I completely buy into the idea your mental health affects your physical health. So I guess I agree, for some people, the placebo effect of any of it could be valuable