Woo

Zoomer

Woo

Post by Zoomer »

I think most of us are pretty sceptic here, but are there any 'woo' things that you believe, or sortof semi-believe, or would like to believe?

I don't think I really have any, other than thinking some plants can be used for 'medicinal' purposes, which I don't think is too out there really (not weed :)) )

Two people on my FB were discussing stones/crystals on my timeline tonight in a very passionate fashion. One of them makes jewelry from precious/semi-precious stones. And while I don't actually believe that stones can influence your personality/future, I'd still like to have a piece made from mine and A's birthstones. Because it would be nice. :look:

Have I been living in Bobo land too long? :lol:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: Woo

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I kind of believe in balancing chakras. :look:
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I don't think birthstones are woo really - they're not supposed to have powers or anything are they? Crystals, on the other hand... :lol:

I don't think there's anything I really believe, but I always say bless you after a sneeze, and give a penny with the present if I give someone a knife.

Oh, I was absolutely sure that acupuncture was woo, but it seems a bit more likely not to be now.
Last edited by ParisGal on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I also thought you might have started this thread to tell us Ruby had died for a moment there.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Why would Zoomer be the first to know that Ruby had died? It would be Bats or Bramble.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

She might have died. I shall consult my tea leaves.

What do you mean by balancing chakras?
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

ParisGal wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 pm Oh, I was absolutely sure that acupuncture was woo, but it seems a bit more likely not to be now.
Whaaat?
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Turtle Bean wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 pm Why would Zoomer be the first to know that Ruby had died? It would be Bats or Bramble.
That’s when I breathed out. :))
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Mmm. I'm unsure on this. But Daughters 1&2 believe firmly in the power of "stones/cristals".
N°2 charged her stone/cristal while she was here in lockdown - in a pot of earth then a jar of water in the sun.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Zoomer wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:08 pm She might have died. I shall consult my tea leaves.

Just that yoga is quite nice really.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I don't think I believe in any of this sort of stuff. My star sign is quite accurate for my personality, mind.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I don't believe but my mum in a huge believer and fashions herself as a 'white witch'.

She put a load of crystals out in moonlight for some sort of thing and magpies have stolen them, she can see the stones in their nest but can't get to them :lol:
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Zoomer wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 pm
ParisGal wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 pm Oh, I was absolutely sure that acupuncture was woo, but it seems a bit more likely not to be now.
Whaaat?
Apparently the needles reach the fascia which is now thought to have a big role in sensing pain. I don't know the details so it still could be woo but I saw it in a non-woo medical program.
smalex

Post by smalex »

My mum was a pharmacist so fully signed up believer in modern western medicine but she had a bad back that was fully sorted by acupuncture.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 pm
Turtle Bean wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 pm Why would Zoomer be the first to know that Ruby had died? It would be Bats or Bramble.
That’s when I breathed out. :))
Me and Ruby could have a very, very close relationship of the kind that dare not speak its name for all you know! *huff*

(We don't, but we could.)
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Oh, yes, acupuncture is not woo in my world. It works. For me.
Hypnosis, however, doesn't work for me.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

:mog: Why has this made me laugh so much?

Anyway, yes, how do you know Zoomer and I don't have a daily check-in service?

I don't believe in much woo. When I was a teenager in the 90s, I had a lot of crystals and read my horoscopes etc. It's all such shit. Although I do properly flinch at new shoes being put on a table.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I thought the process of acupuncture has been shown to work for certain things but that randomly jabbing the needles in is as effective as them being carefully placed according to the woo?

I had it for my leg as I was desperate even though I don't really believe in it and it didn't work.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I don't think birthstones are woo though, they're just like giving traditional presents on wedding anniversaries (eg paper for the first) in my mind.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:12 pm
Zoomer wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:08 pm She might have died. I shall consult my tea leaves.

Just that yoga is quite nice really.
Is that not just because it's deep breathing and doing nice stretches, though?

I did a course in Amma massage some years ago (the kind where you're sitting in the massage chair) and the guy that gave the course was surprisingly frank about "it just feels nice and relaxing" rather than claiming any woo properties for it, which I found refreshing.