Woo

baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Re: Woo

Post by baargain »

Zoomer wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 pm The placebo effect is an actual real thing, though. Which always makes me wonder how much of peoples problems/illnesses are ...not psychosomatic exactly, but ... I don't know how to say this without insulting people, including me, who suffer from mental health problems...how much your mental health influences your physical health, maybe?
There are huge links, which go both ways. All of the therapists in my team are now trained to work with people with copd, heart disease, diabetes, as well as ibs, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and various types of chronic pain. We obviously don't cure the physical illness, but we can either help with blocks to self management, or with illnesses where there is a functional aspect - so there's not a structural issue, but the way that system/organ works has gone out of whack. Also, perfectionists really struggle with a long term health condition, so therapy can help with adjustment, which can make a long term health condition easier to manage and to have less impact on someone.

There's something going on with chronic fatigue/fibromyagia etc and previous traumas, I'm sure.

The chronic fatigue patient groups are not happy with the therapists though, it can feel quite dismissing to be offered psychological therapy (if you introduce it badly).
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Loralei wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 pm
Roma wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:28 pm I think acupuncture is even available on the NHS, so I don’t think it’s Woo.
So is homeopathy, though, so unfortunately that's no indication. Bristol used to have an actual homeopathic hospital (but we would, wouldn't we :lol: )
There's one in Glasgow too!

I used to go in for woo a lot more than I do, I went to a homeopath a few times, and also did stuff like getting my tarot cards read. Now I wouldn't bother with any of it but if other people want to do it, I think "knock yourself out".

I have heard that acupuncture is different and that there is some scientific evidence for its success.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Hypnotherapy cured me of the fags, even though all the time I was 'under' I was telling myself it was bollocks. I wouldn't be treating a major illness with herbs and crystals though.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Acupuncture works on dogs.

I also thought this thread would be about Ruby. :lol:

My yoga teacher/masseuse is very woo. She instructed me on how to do some positive voodoo on Shouty Richard and said it would work within 24 hours. That was on a Friday and things got a little better on a Monday so maybe that counts. I am not massively into crystals but it makes sense that they can do stuff :vague:.

Plus, I have TWICE summonsed people when I needed them! With my mind I mean, not by texting them.
Last edited by Lily on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

baargain wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:00 pm
Zoomer wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 pm The placebo effect is an actual real thing, though. Which always makes me wonder how much of peoples problems/illnesses are ...not psychosomatic exactly, but ... I don't know how to say this without insulting people, including me, who suffer from mental health problems...how much your mental health influences your physical health, maybe?
There are huge links, which go both ways. All of the therapists in my team are now trained to work with people with copd, heart disease, diabetes, as well as ibs, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and various types of chronic pain. We obviously don't cure the physical illness, but we can either help with blocks to self management, or with illnesses where there is a functional aspect - so there's not a structural issue, but the way that system/organ works has gone out of whack. Also, perfectionists really struggle with a long term health condition, so therapy can help with adjustment, which can make a long term health condition easier to manage and to have less impact on someone.

There's something going on with chronic fatigue/fibromyagia etc and previous traumas, I'm sure.

The chronic fatigue patient groups are not happy with the therapists though, it can feel quite dismissing to be offered psychological therapy (if you introduce it badly).
I've heard about this too Baa. My friend's boyfriend apparently had one session of this therapy - lightning, or something? Silver flash? - and his ME was cured.

There's a lot of evidence that CBT can help people recover quicker from operations or injuries as fear of pain can hamper your recovery.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I thought a cat had died. :sad:

I don't believe in any of this, and yet, could be convinced to believe it all. I asked my Irish Catholic MIL to pray for a family member, which she did, despite me being an atheist. I want to keep my options open.

Oh. I always knock on wood. Always. Drives the husband nuts.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

What do you knock on wood for, Five?

That's amazing about the hypnotherapy and giving up smoking.

I started reading Pagan stuff last year after a brilliant trip to the south coast and Stone Henge. I couldn't say I *do* anything but the Pagan festivals and spiritual ideas all appeal to me and seem a nice way to mark the passing of the seasons and celebrate nature and life. But it is hard to find out much because there are so many different types of Paganism and all the witchy stuff gets a bit off putting as it seems a bit charicatured.

The yoga I've been doing talks about chakras and I liked the idea of those and the balance it can bring to be aware of or work on certain parts.

I think I'm Woo-curious but never actually go deeper than thinking about these things.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Woo-curious :lol:
indigo

Post by indigo »

Another one who thought something awful had happened to Ruby. :lol:

I'm definitely woo. I believe that Reiki works (shush, Lora :lg:) and I do lots of rituals and sigil Magick. Oh yes, I've had successful hypnotherapy too. And I ask Saint Anthony to help me find lost things. I'm an Equal Opportunities Wooer.
Last edited by indigo on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I would only be useful in event of Ruby Death if I wasn't having one of my 'abandon social media and the internet' weeks. :)) She needs a nominated survivor.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Well, that would be zoomer, obviously.

I don't believe in any kind of woo. I did try acupuncture for my shoulder/neck pain but it only provided short term relief and I was desperate.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I've tried most of the woo including reiki, acupuncture and hypnotherapy. I had acupuncture when I was TTC and it did seem to affect my cycle and I got pregnant with S after 3 months, having previously tried for a year and had a miscarriage. Who knows though. It was horribly uncomfortable and expensive but it made me feel like I was doing something to help make it happen.

Reiki I found very relaxing but that was it. Hypnotherapy did bring up something interesting that I later worked through in actual therapy but the hypnotherapy didn't really do anything to help the anxiety I was experiencing at the time.

I also have crystals around the place but mainly because I've always liked them rather than because I think they do anything.

My friend was in rehab and had lots of alternative therapies including a sound bath, during which he said he went back to his own birth and being taken from his birth mother when he was taken for adoption!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Wow! I wonder how suggestive the experience was though.

My sister had some sort of reflexology or something when they were TTC, he desperation really. It didn't work. (The surgery and rounds of injectables did though)

One of my grandfathers had a serious bike accident in the 60s and apparently afterwards told a story about floating above himself and watching the doctors and nurses at work. He was incredibly un-Woo (and definitely not religious either), and it didn't make him any more of a believer in anything.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Oh and I love reflexology but again because it's relaxing rather than because I necessarily believe it treats my whole body. One of my favourite treats used to be going for proper Thai reflexology for an hour and just switching off.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I had acupuncture for my shoulder after the Fell Road Car Crash. My shoulder improved, but may also have done that from the manipulation and just time. My abiding memory is always being starving afterwards. I used to pop into Whitehaven Co-op for two flapjacks on my way home. :))

I like a bit of meditation and sound bathing but I'm not ascribing them mystical powers. Mostly, the same result could be achieved if I had the strength of will to just sit for five minutes, away from screens and distractions.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I don't count meditation as woo but I guess it depends what type. The ones I do are just focusing on your breathing and your body, not travelling to other solar systems or anything.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

smalex wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:05 am Woo-curious :lol:
This is perfect. I am also woo-curious without actually believing anything.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I would like to have acupuncture just because I think it would feel nice.
Luna

Post by Luna »

I’ve tried just about every alternative thing going being that I worked in a big complementary medicine clinic in Brighton a few years ago.
The regular treatments I use are acupuncture, cranial osteopathy and homeopathy.
I use astrology a lot and know how to do a proper chart and yes, magazine stuff is mostly rubbish. I did Bean’s chart yonks ago :))
The jury is out on crystals, tarot and reiki but if it helps people get through the day then go for it.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm all for people getting support however they see fit, but when it strays into people being convinced to part with loads of money for very dubious claims, it is more questionable. I'm thinking of Gwynnie and (some of) her Goop crap, for instance. The latest season of The Dream was very good at looking at this kind of thing.