Woo

lazzbo

Re: Woo

Post by lazzbo »

I think criticism is reserved for the people peddling it!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I am loving this thread, great discussion - I had no idea about the ins & outs of homeopathy.

I totally believe in psychics, but not those who cost a bomb. They don't tend to profit off their talents. I've spoken about Psychic Sally on here before - loathesome creature.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Luna

Post by Luna »

Homeopathy and such like are complementary to modern medicine and can be used in conjunction. In my experience It’s very effective on an emotional level especially in children and babies where the placebo effect isn’t really the issue.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

The placebo effect can work via other people, so the homeopathy is probably providing a placebo effect to the parent, who is then calmer, and then this impacts on the child.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I think it's probably effective on a parents emotional state and that a number of children's diseases are self-limiting, rather than tap water actually "treating" kids or babies in any way, shape or form. (Although kids are totally prone to the placebo effect - see giving them a plaster for a non existent injury when they're otherwise inconsolable.)

ETA Sorry, Baa got there first!
smalex

Post by smalex »

baargain wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:04 pm The placebo effect can work via other people, so the homeopathy is probably providing a placebo effect to the parent, who is then calmer, and then this impacts on the child.

Or the parent perceives improvement in the child's condition, presumably?

and :lol: At Del, that is so true. Enthusiastically pretending everything is ok, applying non essential plasters, offering sweets or other treats have definitely been the most effective medicines so far. :mrgreen:
Last edited by smalex on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

smalex wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:10 pm
baargain wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:04 pm The placebo effect can work via other people, so the homeopathy is probably providing a placebo effect to the parent, who is then calmer, and then this impacts on the child.

Or the parent perceives improvement in the child's condition, presumably?
Ah true.

Drug trials have to be double blind so the doctor/researchers don't get impacted by the placebo effect.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

A friend of mine is a kinesiologist (which I think is quackery of the most obvious kind), and also an excellent therapeutic masseuse. She gets referrals from GPs for massage on arthritis patients etc, and from the police to treat victims of crime with kinesiology. I have my doubts about a lot of it, particularly as she also has a range of products for sale - her excema cream has rave reviews and I'm sure it is effective, but she also brought out an 'anti-virus' oil at the start of lockdown, which seemed to me exploitative. There is nothing she thinks she can't cure one way or another.

She does have a lot of qualifications in physiology, and I have personal experience of her abilities at massage (she is magic), but I don't believe in magnets diagnosing clinical ailments, and have deep suspicions about the more 'fringe' things she dabbles in.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I thought / hoped things like "anti-virus oil" were illegal!
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Read Bad Science, people!

I don’t believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman :sing:

Astrology is rubbish, psychics are charlatans, and anyone claiming to do remote healing or read auras or such bullshit equally so. Homeopathy is the modern equivalent of the snake-oil sellers and quackery aimed at the gullible and desperate.

Having said all that, I’d quite like to try acupuncture sometime.

I’ve got a friend who is a kinesiologist too, and much as I want to support her - she changed career from marketing a couple of years ago - I really have to bite my lip when I want to shoot down some of the more woo elements.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

ParisGal wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:35 pm I thought / hoped things like "anti-virus oil" were illegal!
Apparently not. The products were reported to Trading Standards and a professional body of some sort, but they found that there was no case to answer, and they are still on sale under the same name, which includes 'Anti-virus'. I doubt that they will do any harm (she does warn that people should still take precautions ( :woteva: ), but they really aren't going to replace a vaccine, are they? She is also anti vaccines, though, so, you know.
smalex

Post by smalex »

That's part of what I find off putting about the whole industry, quite often. She's a great masseuse- brilliant, but then it gets tangled up with other more woo stuff and opinions that are repugnant to me (like being anti vaxx), it just sort of puts me off the whole thing/makes the thing she is good seem much less appealing.
indigo

Post by indigo »

H1ppychick wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:55 pm
Astrology is rubbish, psychics are charlatans, and anyone claiming to do remote healing or read auras or such bullshit equally so. Homeopathy is the modern equivalent of the snake-oil sellers and quackery aimed at the gullible and desperate.
Tell us what you really think of those of us who like this stuff.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

But liking it and claiming it has a medical benefit it are two different things. In spite of many trials there is no evidence to support it. So people are welcome to like it, but whether or not it works isn't a matter of opinion. Just like vaccines, but in reverse.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Loralei wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:04 pm In spite of many trials there is no evidence to support it.
Unlike CBT :poke:
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

lazzbo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:28 pm I think criticism is reserved for the people peddling it!
Oh sorry, yes I realise that!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

indigo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:52 pm
I think you’re gullible and/or desperate :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

H1ppychick wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:52 pm
And on the whole you like to ridicule desperate people?
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

smalex wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 pm That's part of what I find off putting about the whole industry, quite often. She's a great masseuse- brilliant, but then it gets tangled up with other more woo stuff and opinions that are repugnant to me (like being anti vaxx), it just sort of puts me off the whole thing/makes the thing she is good seem much less appealing.
Yes. I would (and have) definitely go to her for remedial massage with absolute confidence, but the rest of it makes me very uneasy, and she has a lot of fans who buy into the whole shebang. To be fair, I don't think any of it is likely to be actively (medically) harmful, but it does seem exploitative, and I suspect that she will talk to vulnerable people about Big Pharma during treatments, whilst simultaneously trying desperately to get her stuff licensed for prescription on the NHS.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Ella77 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:53 pm
H1ppychick wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:52 pm
And on the whole you like to ridicule desperate people?
I’m not ridiculing anyone. If you get something from homeopathy, that’s between you and your wallet. I just think you’re being taken advantage of.