Parma Friday

H1ppychick

Re: Parma Friday

Post by H1ppychick »

Also, well done Jupiter and good news Lora!
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Thats interesting Hippy about the causes, the doctor mentioned about a bacterial infection that they might test for and she has also ordered an ultrasound for me. I cant take ibuprofen due to the blood pressure meds I'm on so that can't be the cause.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

H pylori (helicobacter pylori), I think. I hope the medicine helps, sal.

Good news, Lora.
Last edited by Ella77 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

H.pylori can cause it. I think a course of antibiotics can clear it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

My book that I edited has been published today which is very pleasing.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Yeah, H. pylori. When I first went to the GP with my symptoms years ago they did a bacterial infection test for me too (stool sample) but that came back clear.

Ultrasound is probably to check for gallstones as the symptoms can be similar (I have those too, as do quite a high proportion of middle-aged women, albeit quite mildly - I’ve only had 2 attacks in about 7 years). I remember reading about the incidence being high in those who met the 4 Fs - Forties, Fertile (i.e. premenopausal), Fair (Caucasian) and Fat (yep) which all applied to me.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

The story behind the discovery that h pylori causes ulcers is one of my favourite scientific anecdotes :geek:
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I hope the meds help, Sal and I’m glad you’re signed off for longer, Lora.

I thought of your yesterday, Pip when a fight broke out on a local Facebook group I’m a member of re: masks. Someone was info from PubMed which I only know of from here!

Anyway, I have mocked Mr O for doing PE with Joe (alone :no: ) and am girding myself to do an online barre class. Pool later and we’ve decided to take the boys out for an early dinner and ice cream tonight. Our Main Street has a big grass square where the restaurant who owns it has a pick up window and has sectioned off areas for people to sit socially distantly. We’re taking along a picnic blanket and will sit outside on the grass. I’m 50:50 excited and anxious.
sally maclennane

H1ppychick wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:26 pm Yeah, H. pylori. When I first went to the GP with my symptoms years ago they did a bacterial infection test for me too (stool sample) but that came back clear.

Ultrasound is probably to check for gallstones as the symptoms can be similar (I have those too, as do quite a high proportion of middle-aged women, albeit quite mildly - I’ve only had 2 attacks in about 7 years). I remember reading about the incidence being high in those who met the 4 Fs - Forties, Fertile (i.e. premenopausal), Fair (Caucasian) and Fat (yep) which all applied to me.
And me :(

I think gallstones might be a possibility. My younger brother had them a few years ago and had his gallbladder removed, and from what I have read, having a family member who has had them can increase your chances of getting them. So naturally I have told him that its his fault :))
sally maclennane

Derek Nimmo wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm The story behind the discovery that h pylori causes ulcers is one of my favourite scientific anecdotes :geek:
That is brilliant!
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

Happy publication day Ken.

I’m standing in a sweaty, mostly grumpy looking queue to Homebase for paint.
sally maclennane

Oh yes, well done Ken!
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Well done, Ken!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That guy won a Nobel prize for it, didn’t he? He’s doing some cool science with his son on seismic measurements now I think (and tummy rumbles).

What was the upshot of the fight Olive?
rosy

Post by rosy »

Kenickie wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:25 pm My book that I edited has been published today which is very pleasing.
congratulations!

I’m almost at the stage of wishing the thunderstorm would hit here, it’s suddenly got so muggy and airless even with a fan on.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
rosy

Post by rosy »

There’s been some kind of incident in Glasgow; I hope all our Glasgow turtles and their friends & families are safe.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I got a text from a friend elsewhere checking on her Weegie pals, which waa the first I heard of it. Hurrah for lockdown and most people being at home.

That's good news about being signed off Lora.
sally maclennane

I saw it on Twitter, like Heebie says, the city centre will be much quieter than normal but its still awful - apparently 3 people have been killed :(
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Kenickie wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:25 pm My book that I edited has been published today which is very pleasing.
Well done Ken!

Sorry about your ulcer Sal. They always sound nasty.

I'm glad you have been signed off Lora.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Well done, Ken!
Pippedydeadeye wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:55 pm What was the upshot of the fight Olive?
That there are basically some people who point blank will not listen to believe scientific evidence. They trust in either their immune system or a higher power blah blah blah. It’s become really ugly and unfortunately the mask wearers are actually being twats now too and have resorted to abuse.

I’ve just read about Glasgow and lucky it was so quiet but it’s still terrible for those people who were caught up in it.