Unremarkable Wednesday

Penny Century

Re: Unremarkable Wednesday

Post by Penny Century »

Morning! I've just come off a lovely long call with one of the people I support. He is in his 80s, lives alone, and having a bit of a rough time. Often he wants to talk about depressing world events, but today I steered him away from that and we ended up having a big reminisce about old Glasgow - lamplighters who worked for the Corporation, farms where there are housing estates now, picking apples from orchards on the Edinburgh Road, and his first job, as a laundry delivery boy on an actual horse and cart. I guess that would have been in the 1950s - hard to imagine what it must feel like to see so much change in that time.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Aww, that is much nicer to chat about stuff like that rather than the depressing shit we’re in now. Sounds like he had some interesting stories.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Happy anniversary Jupes!

I'm waiting for someone to take away my old oven and have done a wash so will put that out at lunch.

Heebs so as sal says and block time out in your diary for lunch! I block segments of my day out when I need to crack on and concentrate.

I'm watching chickens I'm Hawaii on WindowSwap ❤️
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm slightly worried that Is is going to turn up in my garden with a pair of scissors. :eek:

That sounds like a good chat Penny.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Apparently it's also National Lipstick Day according to the press releases I have been receiving.

Hello. My dad is here being a handyman and helping with the garden. I have been awake since 4.30am though so feel awful.
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

Luna wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:41 am Aww, that is much nicer to chat about stuff like that rather than the depressing shit we’re in now. Sounds like he had some interesting stories.
He really did! And it was so clear how much enjoyment he got from recounting them. He's luckier than some of the people I support in that he does have family who keep in touch with him and visit when they can, but otherwise I think he mainly watches telly and worries.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Happy Anniversary Jupiter - I enjoyed the photo bombing photo on FB this morning :mrgreen:

I've just been to pick up a Tu order in Sainsbury's and had a proper Chucklebrothers moment. It's a Sainsbury's Local so you just grab the nearest assistant and ask them for your parcel. Assistant asks, is it to you? I reply, yes, to me. She asks again, no, is it to you? I'm very confused by now and say, yes, it's to me. Finally twig she means T(to) U(you) :mog:
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

That sounds like it could have gone on for ages if you hadn't twigged, Flora.

When I was 14 or 15 I went to the local shop and hopefully asked the man behind the counter if he had any secrets. I was referring to the delicious chocolate bar that had just been released at the time, and for some reason it didn't occur to me that my question could have had any other meaning. His face was the very picture of bewilderment.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That sounds nice Penid. :)

Flora, I wish someone had filmed that, it sounds like a magical moment.

We’re going to have the matinee performance of the training soon and I get to lead. My colleague was leading so couldn’t turn his screen off. It wasn’t the total disaster I thought it’d be, but it was close.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Kenickie wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:48 am I'm slightly worried that Is is going to turn up in my garden with a pair of scissors. :eek:

That sounds like a good chat Penny.
Sorry. :)) I meant Smunder.

We've decided not to go out as H has a sore throat. No other symptoms but we'll stay in for now and I'll keep an eye on her.
Lola

Post by Lola »

Afternoon. I got the meeting memo too & just lost 2 hours of my life that I’ll never get back. I had technical issues too & had to restart Teams. I had no idea what I was doing as I never usually have meetings so that was fun.

Today is new cat day for me. I am excited & anxious in equal measure. I’m adopting a 3 year old fluffy tortie :weewee: She will here anytime after 3pm :cat:
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Much of my working life is meetings and to be honest, I don't really mind them. I have just been involved in a rather snippy discussion about how we need to do more online meetings rather than face to face, and how they're a much better use of time, and better for the environment. The latter is true obviously but I really dislike them and don't find them any more productive than face to face. In fact, I find them less useful. It's the usual of someone making a sweeping statement about how their preference is better for everyone :ella:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

Oooh new cat day how exciting Lola

My life is constant zoom meetings and I really don't seem to retain information as well as actual face to face meetings which in my job is pretty bad.

I must have got the tiger day memo as I painted my nails orange and black last night

Is I hope all is ok with H
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I just mercilessly destroyed my husband by asking his he finds so much to say about duvet covers day in, day out, in his meetings.
Lola

Post by Lola »

Beatrix wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:24 pm Lola!! Please provide photos on the pets thread as soon as she arrives.
I will :))
Lola

Post by Lola »

I know what you mean, Dizzy. I find it hard to retain information from people talking to me anyway :look: I need things to be written down.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Thanks, dizz. I've ordered a test just in case and we'll stay home for the time being. Mr Is can work from home and I have a Tesco slot for Friday so it's not a problem for us.

We've bought the kids a Nintendo Switch and we're going to give it to them later. We managed to save a bit of money over the last few weeks and they've been so amazing in lockdown, didn't moan at all about their cancelled holiday and all got great school reports so we decided to splash out. I can't wait to give it to them!
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm I just mercilessly destroyed my husband by asking his he finds so much to say about duvet covers day in, day out, in his meetings.
:lol: What did he say to that?
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

Ismee wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:52 pm
We've bought the kids a Nintendo Switch and we're going to give it to them later. We managed to save a bit of money over the last few weeks and they've been so amazing in lockdown, didn't moan at all about their cancelled holiday and all got great school reports so we decided to splash out. I can't wait to give it to them!
I HIGHLY recommend MarioKart, Arms and Overcooked 2. Our friend D pretty much gave us his Switch because he's hardly using it and these three games have been absolute winners. I always love MarioKart anyway on any platform but the others are amazing too.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Great, thank you!