What I'm not saying out loud in 2021 (IWLTS)

Luna

Re: What I'm not saying out loud in 2021 (IWLTS)

Post by Luna »

Where to stop though?

Pillows with Pillowcases
Beds with mattresses
viggy

Post by viggy »

Wait, wait - IS THE LOO ROLL FOLDED INTO A POINT?!

That's luxury :))
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

viggy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:20 am Wait, wait - IS THE LOO ROLL FOLDED INTO A POINT?!

That's luxury :))
For an extra £2, yes.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Wow, look at Zoomer rubbing her high-class lifestyle in our faces. Some of us can't afford the hotels with toilet paper, dontcha know.

Iwlts: I'm really curious about why you're happy to post loads of pictures of your children set to public but are really coy about their (very ordinary) names.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

IWLTS: That's not a four bedroom house, it's a three bedroom house with a weird room downstairs adjacent to your old kitchen that one could fit a single bed in, if they enjoyed sleeping next to a washing machine and an old kitchen sink. Also, £2100 pcm is way over-priced and for that kind of money I'd expect you to have installed the kitchen extractor fan and not just left the wires hanging out of the wall. Also, the massive gaping hole in the kitchen that's part of the extension you couldn't be bothered to finish looks terrible and is going to be really drafty in the winter.

(I went to view a rental property yesterday with a view to living in it until I found somewhere to buy locally).
smalex

Post by smalex »

Sounds like a gem Toast :lol: £2100/month! I worked for a couple once who wanted the standard rear extension to create a kitchen/diner/family room and believed this then made their house a 4 bed for which they could ask for 4 bed money, on the basis the living room could be used as a bedroom. I gently pointed out most people wouldn't see it that way, but no, it *would* be a 4 bed. Crack on loves, let's see how that goes.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

God, that reminds me of house-hunting here. Ye olde village was green fields and a handful of large merchants' homes, then in the 10s-20s hundreds of the same identikit house went up on the cheap (I found a very cross letter from one of the architects, circa 1921, saying he refused to be blamed for their quality and the ground conditions :lol:). So basically, almost every house here is the same 3 bed semi, very few garages or spaces, so not much scope for a pleasant extension really.

Cue 2020 and the definition of that all-important 4th bedroom being stretched beyond legality. We saw mattresses flung in grubby lofts, mattress chucked in a front room because 'we really only use the kitchen, this is more of a, um, lower bedroom, for relatives!' , wobbly dormer lofts where you could only stand in one spot...

The one we bought had a loft conversion with an illegally small door and non-compliant staircase. Absolutely certain the previous owner rented that fire hazard to someone, as it had the usual dirty mattress on the floor.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

My house has five bedrooms, if you would like to sleep in the kitchen, living room and bathroom :snooty:
Skips

Post by Skips »

The carpet fitters came, no apologies and then left slamming the door after them when I said I wasn't happy. I'm on hold again.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Skips wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:35 pm The carpet fitters came, no apologies and then left slamming the door after them when I said I wasn't happy. I'm on hold again.
That's shocking!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Actually you could get 3 double beds in my living room so that's 3 bedrooms right there.
Skips

Post by Skips »

They said they don't work directly for the shop, so they have no reason to call and give us an eta. They also said they didn't have any signal at all to get in touch with us, from the previous job which is over an hour away (there were two of them, so one could have called en route and they took the call from the shop). We were told they weren't given the plans for the kitchen when I called earlier and they said they weren't told about the vinyl at all,so who is lying? He the said he didn't want to do the job, walked out and his colleague followed him and slammed the door. I'm going to try and cancel, I certainly don't want them returning to the house. I didn't raise my voice, although I'm sure my displeasure was evident.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

:lol:

This wasn't in London, btw. This was in a very average, not particularly desirable area near the coast. It was the only place available that would allow pets and, obviously, the advert made it look much better than it was.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Presumably they're subcontractors for the shop then? That's really terrible service.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Sorry, Skips. I missed that. It really is terrible service.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Bloody hell, Skips. I hope it’s straightforward to cancel/insist on a different team.

Toast, you may know this, but it’s worth asking about the pet situation for specific properties. My flat’s down as no pets but I’m generally happy to waive that for a responsible sounding tenant.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

That's so awful, Skips. I would have been fuming. We had similar shoddy service from installers from John Lewis a few years ago - just awful. It was clearly their last job on a Friday to install our dishwasher, they claimed it had a fitting they had never seen before so we needed a plumber. They then legged it and we then realised that we needed to either put the old one back, or install the new one ourselves otherwise we couldn't turn our water back on :mad: Mr P managed to install the new one with the never-before-seen-fitting himself in about 20 mins so they were clearly just chancers. We complained, obviously.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I wondered about that, Froozy so thank you for mentioning it. I think if I'm going to go down the rental route then I'll need to register with some agents so I can ask about it rather than just relying on RightMove or OpenRent.
Margo

Post by Margo »

IWLTS what is the bloody point of having a formal complaints process if the person you’re letting respond to my compliant is the very same person as I’m bloody complaining about!!!

Bloody ridiculous! I’m escalating this if I can uncover who is above the witch who’s giving me this much grief 😡

Just as a bit of a poll: if you’d moved into a new build house and found all of your vinyl flooring was defective, including in the kitchen, would you accept having to move all your white food (washing machine & fridge freezer) yourself so it can be replaced? I can’t physically do it which means hiring someone at my expense, so I’ve complained and said this isn’t acceptable as the fault is with them in the first place for fitting it so badly. The woman I’ve been dealing with is a sarcastic bitch so I put in a formal complaint… which she’s answered! FFS.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

IWLTS I am genuinely pleased for you getting the job and think you’ll be great, and I’m pleased to have been thought of in the same line up as you, but man, I am sad that I didn’t get it now.