It's the little things you miss...

Texaco Shirley

Re: It's the little things you miss...

Post by Texaco Shirley »

We have a weekly catch up at work. It’s a combination of technical stuff and company gossip and is officially in the calendar as “tea and cake”. There’s a rota for providing the cake and I’m mystified by the people who also provide fruit. (No one has yet risked fruit with no cake at all).
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 am We have a weekly catch up at work. It’s a combination of technical stuff and company gossip and is officially in the calendar as “tea and cake”. There’s a rota for providing the cake and I’m mystified by the people who also provide fruit. (No one has yet risked fruit with no cake at all).
I was once completely mystified when starting a new job and one of the directors brought in a bowl of green apples instead of the customary cake for her birthday! I had to take a stealth photo to show my old work colleagues who then pleaded for me to come back. My old colleagues routinely brought in not just cakes, but cheese boards and wine for their birthday offerings.
Malan
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Marth wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:22 am I can't stand it when no one else eats, or they take two grapes and apologise for being "naughty". I just want to upend the plate of biscuits into my face and really have to restrain myself. It actually makes me a bit miserable, seeing all those nice extra chocolately M&S biscuits sat there, but I've already had three :cry:
:mog:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Jesus, apples.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I would often bring fruit in if making or buying something for my team, but *alongside* cake/biscuits never instead of, that's crazy (unless agreed as a team!). Less of an issue at my last place, but I found sweet stuff was often leftover in my previous role so I started adding fruit and nuts/seeds mix, which seemed to go down better.

I used to take biscuits to client meetings and again, found bringing a bit of fruit too covered more preferences. I'd always turn up with some gluten free options (and vegan, so I could partake OBVIOUSLY), which always went down well. We'd have meetings at 11am because of some people travelling from the North but then civil servants can't provide lunch, and people would get tetchy as the meeting went on so my food helped.:lol:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Marth wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:42 am
Texaco Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 am We have a weekly catch up at work. It’s a combination of technical stuff and company gossip and is officially in the calendar as “tea and cake”. There’s a rota for providing the cake and I’m mystified by the people who also provide fruit. (No one has yet risked fruit with no cake at all).
I was once completely mystified when starting a new job and one of the directors brought in a bowl of green apples instead of the customary cake for her birthday! I had to take a stealth photo to show my old work colleagues who then pleaded for me to come back. My old colleagues routinely brought in not just cakes, but cheese boards and wine for their birthday offerings.
:mog: There was a woman who used to bring in apples at my old work. Everyone hated her, obviously.