IWLTS it is 2023

Lola

Re: IWLTS it is 2023

Post by Lola »

IWLTS: You’re a nasty spiteful cow and peoples’ concerns about being suddenly hauled back to the office are totally valid and not things for you to laugh at and bitch about. Just because you like to be the centre of attention and feel lonely when nobody can see you and give you attention, doesn’t mean we’re all like that.

I will be saying a more polite version of this via a link for anonymous feedback.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I'm sure I've read that the vast majority of dogs and cats don't get chemo side effects. But still.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

This one has I am. He has acute pancreatitis, enlarged liver and severe anaemia alongside a few other long term conditions. He’s been in intensive care for days.

The bill is at £3k already and will continue to rise.
Lola

Post by Lola »

That poor dog. It’s just cruel to keep them alive like that. I still have massive guilt for not having my last cat Jessie put to sleep a few days before she died because she was suffering & we should have been able to let her go.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Oh, the poor dog.
rosy

Post by rosy »

It’s so difficult to know where the line is between treating a pet’s illness and letting them go. They can’t tell us how they feel.

I would have paid anything to treat Lokiboy with his heart disease but there was a day when he was so unhappy, and I took an impossible decision. I think the feline cardiologist that we were seeing (at a three/four hour round trip and £1000 basic consultation fee, not covered by insurance) felt I’d called a halt too soon, but I still believe I did the right thing. The £20,000 of debt wasn’t a consideration, his well-being was. And four years later, I still have £3500 of debt left to pay but it’s all on 0% so it’s not as burdensome as it was.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

One of my admins years back had a cat that had such a huge tumour on its face that it couldn't eat. So she syringed some kind of posh mashed up cat food into the other side of the things face for about three months before she finally gave in and put the thing out of its misery.

I get people love them, but some people need to fuck off too.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I missed a page!

Somebody is paying for a dog to be in intensive care?

We're fucked. Utterly fucked.
Luna

Post by Luna »

My vet has very frank conversations on these issues. Supervet hadn’t helped in that people can think that there’s loads more that can be done for their animals.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Twatters, that's horrendous.

An animal doesn't benefit from a prosthetic limb. Its owner does. "We" have plenty of three-legged dogs who exist very happily. If you give a dog a prosthetic it has to learn a new gait and can be very uncomfortable.

When I was debating Shinty's end a few years ago a dear friend said to me, "Better a day too soon than an hour too late" which is some of the wisest advice I have ever received.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Margo

Post by Margo »

I paid an absolute bomb - £6k+ - to save Lola’s life when she was 18m old and had a liver shunt, but she was 18m old and had so much life left to live. If she’d been 15, maybe not.

I don’t like having power of life or death but as a pet owner it’s a given. As much as I love my dogs, I absolutely would not let them suffer… Lily - that saying is perfectly put.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Luna wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:49 am My vet has very frank conversations on these issues. Supervet hadn’t helped in that people can think that there’s loads more that can be done for their animals.
I read an article a few years ago by a vet who said the same thing as your vet Luna, he was very critical of Supervet for raising people's expectations of what could/should be done for animals, when really the benefit was for the owners. He also said animals have no concept of time in the way humans do, so living for X more months or until an arbitrary date like Christmas, has no meaning for them, in the way that it would for humans
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Despite being the soppiest person I know about my dogs, I absolutely wouldn’t go through with lengthy/invasive treatments.

I don’t think I could personally bear going through it with them, the costs are insane and in my heart of hearts I don’t think it’s always the kindest thing to do for the animal.

I think what would be much harder for me would be if treatment crept up incrementally over a period of months, without one big crossroads where you have to make a decision.

Ted has had an ongoing stomach thing, it’s not serious and he doesn’t appear to be in any discomfort, it’s more annoying for us owners than for him. He’s had three vet visits with tests and medicine (which did nothing) and the bill is about £500. I’m claiming on the insurance but sheesh, it’s an expensive business.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Yes, to both of you. A dog lives in the now and couldn’t care less if it was given x amount more weeks. And if you’re not insured, it’s heinously expensive to keep going with treatments.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

sally maclennane wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:24 pm He also said animals have no concept of time in the way humans do, so living for X more months or until an arbitrary date like Christmas, has no meaning for them, in the way that it would for humans
This was key to convincing me I could get a dog. That I made him/her happy in the here and now.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Luce

Post by Luce »

Bloody Supervet was in my head the whole time with Rox. I kept thinking this would probably be a simple case on Supervet or we'd be those awful people who didn't remortgage their house to save their beloved family member. I'm still very much not over it or our decision and I have to switch over if there is so much a Supervet advert on the telly. It didn't help that we were sent by our own local vets to another Supervet type place an hour away so it all felt just horrible.

Despite saying all that, my sister kept her poor 14 year old dog going too long and I hated it. It's really hard having to try and gently convince someone to let someone go and she was just blind to it and his last two weeks were awful. I was so cross with them. Yes, losing their beloved animal over Christmas would have been shit but not as shit as putting him through his last few days which were probably painful and confusing for him. I think he deserved better.

Sparky is 15 and has thyroid stuff that is controlled by medicine - you can tell whenever his dosage stops working and he just looks so...ill. He's uncomfortable, he's ravenous/thirsty etc until we do another blood test and change his dose. At some point that will stop working and I really hope we can tell when it's time. You're right, Squirrel, slower increments feels much harder to decide!
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Lily wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:57 am
When I was debating Shinty's end a few years ago a dear friend said to me, "Better a day too soon than an hour too late" which is some of the wisest advice I have ever received.
I remember you saying that to me when I was wondering what to do about Joy and it really helped. I still think of it sometimes.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

IWLTS I don’t want your “top fan” badges thank you, because I’m not a complete prick.

Also, damn you autocorrect, nor am I an omelette prick. :lg:
Little My

Post by Little My »

:lol:
Little My

Post by Little My »

IWLTS: That must have stuck in your throat.