Going Red

Tips & tricks to make your bumhat beautiful.
Zoomer

Going Red

Post by Zoomer »

I'm really tired of my current hair. It looks dry, although it feels ok, and the colour has gone a bit wonky. It's kind of a dirty blonde with reddish bit, and darker roots. I think the last colour I put in there was dark honey blonde, about 6 months ago. It always goes much lighter in the sun anyway.
IMG_2665.JPG
I'm thinking of going darker and redder, like so:
Untitled.png
Is there a reason I shouldn't do this, though? Will I be messing up my hair for quite some time?

I don't currently have many greys, but obviously it's just a matter of time, so I'm thinking I'll go darker now while I still can. What does the hive mind think? Is it a terrible idea?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Edith Bacon

Re: Going Red

Post by Edith Bacon »

That will look gorgeous on you, Zooms.

I’ve been a variety of different reds loads of times and it always feels like a bit of a pain getting rid of it, but not enough of a pain to stop me doing it again at some point :))

Looking forward to the ‘after’ pics.
Glint

Post by Glint »

No reason, I went red from blonde (hairdresser) without any problems.

You just need to remember that sometimes red doesn't last as long other colours.

I agree that it will look great on you.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Aw, thanks! :love: Tbf, it is probably closer to my natural colour than my current colour is.

I'm pretty sure this is my natural colour, but not 100%. :)) I think I only started dying it when I went to uni, and this was before:
natural.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It's been bleaching that's caused me problems in the past, certainly not going darker. Do it! It would suit you beautifully.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:57 pm It's been bleaching that's caused me problems in the past, certainly not going darker.
That's a good point, Del.

Right, thanks guys. I'm doing it. It'll have to wait till I'm paid though.
geek_kitten

Post by geek_kitten »

I also concur, red is awesome.

One tip from me (if you didn’t know already - I may just have been amazingly ignorant) is to use SFS free shampoo, it really makes a difference to the longevity of the colour. My hairdresser said any SFS-free version will do, and not to faff particularly with the colour protecting ones. I use OGX at the moment and it’s much better than the supposed colour-protecting stuff my previous hairdresser foisted on me at great expense.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

What is SFS-free shampoo? (I have googled!)
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Thanks geek. My current one is SFS-free, so I'll just continue with that.

Sulfate-free, nine.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Oh, that's usually SLS-free isn't it? I already use that :lol: I thought SFS must be another chemical.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Oh, I presumed geek meant SLS-free! :lol:
geek_kitten

Post by geek_kitten »

I did mean SLS free, well done for correctly interpreting my iPad's autocorrect (SFS is an acronym I use a lot at work!)
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

It will look lovely Zooms. And your hair has grown so long.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

That’ll look lovely Zoomer. You can always top it up with a depositing conditioner, like Nutri Colour, if it fades quickly.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Thats a lovely colour. I think it will really suit you.
Malan
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

What a gorgeous rich colour. I look forward to seeing it on you!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I think you will suit it but if my hair looked like yours I'd leave it alone unless this is a decision you'd take regardless of lockdown. In other words it looks pretty good at the moment.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Thanks again, lovely Turtles. 😍 I will of course do photos when it's done (unless it's completely hideous).

Thanks Heebs. I get what you're saying, but yes, I think I would do it anyway. My Dad was auburn when he was younger, then went gradually lighter as he aged (naturally) , and we had basically the same hair until I started fecking around with mine. I'd like to see what my nearly-natural hair would look like on me now, IYKWIM. Or something more approaching my natural colour than my current one is, anyway.
Glint

Post by Glint »

I will let you know, that I have silver sparkles that I didn't see when I was blonde.

You might also need to go brown to get red, or my hair might have been too blonde for my hairdresser's thinking to make it to take.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

The colour up above is called "light brown mahogany red", so I'm very much thinking I'll go brown first, then they'll add the red.