How do you wear trousers?

Lily
Picker-Lily

How do you wear trousers?

Post by Lily »

This is going to sound really stupid but for years I've worn trousers on my hips rather than my waist. Mainly because if they fit my waist they are far too tight on my bum. I realised that I don't actually know how trousers should be worn. :lol: A lot of my trousers go a bit MC Hammer and low in the crotch because of the avoiding-the-waist thing.

I've ordered a few pairs I like for summer, and I can't figure out if they are supposed to look the way they do if they are just too big. But if I get the size down I think they'll be too small. I think I should be a size 13 (if that didn't bring me out in a rash in itself! Of all the sodding numbers!) because 12 tends to be too tight around the bum & thighs and 14 too big.

Do any of these actually fit, please?!
Last edited by Lily on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Kleio

Re: How do you wear trousers?

Post by Kleio »

When I used to wear trousers and jeans it was always on my hips. Anything that is meant to be worn on the waist usually ended up under my boobs as I have a short torso.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Around my waist. Although circa the millennium it was all hipster wasn't it. I hear you on it being a challenge to find things which fit. Jeans shopping in particular is one of my very least favourite things to do.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

The problem is if I wear them on the hips they then seem to fall too low.

I also don't know if anyone other than Barbie can get away with the blue ones. :lol:

Side shots:

smalex

Post by smalex »

I'd say the first two sort of fit, but just aren't doing much for you. The last pair don't fit at all.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Here are a pair which I like but I can't decide if they're too tight or not. I bought them last year. But is this how they're supposed to look? Am I just not used to things fitting?!

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

smalex wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:24 pm I'd say the first two sort of fit, but just aren't doing much for you. The last pair don't fit at all.
Thank you. I didn't think they looked amazing but I thought - well, it's that or you go down a size and look like a sausage bursting out of its skin! Like I said, I'm used to wearing loose stuff and thinking that's how things are supposed to be. Infuriating!

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

They look a bit big. I suppose I wear trousers how they are cut to sit, but I much prefer a slightly lower waist and will tug my waist down. I can't wear high waist clothes as I feel all arse and stomach, and I feel too constrained. Those long pink ones look really nice on you.
Malan
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

You have a very peachy bum in that last pair, Lils :flirt:
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I have somehow become very sensitive to anything "too tight" on the waist (= feels absolutely fine but if I sit wearing it for longer than an hour or so I start feeling weirdly ill). I now tend to feel most comfortable with waistbands that sit just across the top of my hip bones - partly because this means my hips stop the waist from getting "too tight" :lol:

I reckon your first two pairs look a little too big and like they need to be hoiked up a bit, 3rd is no good at all. Last looks pretty good!
geek_kitten

Post by geek_kitten »

I concur with the peachiness of the bum!

I'm a similar shape, I think, and I almost never wear trousers because they almost never fit. The first two sort of fit but don't really do much for you although the first pair are better than the second; the last pink pair you posted look much better but (to my eye) don't fit 100% - they look a bit tight over the bum and that's slightly distorting the fit elsewhere? But this may be coloured by the fact that I have exactly that issue 🙄🙄🙄 about 75% of the time when I try on trousers.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Thanks chaps. I'm breathing in! The last pair are from H&M and were about £10. I do think they're a bit too tight on the bum, but I don't know how tight is too tight because normally they're floating around my knees.

I don't think I've got any hipbones now we're in week 12 of lockdown.

Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I also struggle with trousers because I have a long waist, and a pear-shaped figure - I'm a size 10 on my top half and a size 12 on my bottom. So, too high a rise on the trousers and you're getting into cameltoe, and if they fit around my hips they will then gape around my waist. So I pretty much only buy trousers with some lycra in the fabric, and with a medium to low-rise waistband. I have a few pairs that I wear to death, but have to try on a million pairs to find ones that work. And when I do, I tend to buy a couple of pairs.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I think trousers are really hard to buy. I always end up getting t loads on that have that pants tent thing when you sit down.

Since I was a child I've hated things on my waist so I much prefer to have things round my hips. Or, I still wear my maternity leggings as the waistband is just under my bra which is also quite comfy. :look:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I’m the same as Liv in that I’m pear shaped and anything that fits around my hips gapes around the waist. I actually really like high rise trousers/ jeans as the right ones can be quite flattering on.

Apparently paperbag waisted trousers are meant to be flattering on pears. The wide leg ones look awful on me but the tapered ones are quite comfy and flattering.
13C126AE-4B5B-445B-910E-88EF16EF8172.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I have heard that too Olive, but have never actually bought any!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I tried some from H&M last summer but they all looked pretty awful. If anyone can recommend some brands it would be appreciated! Am I a pear? I'm size 14-10/12-14 which is more like a pomegranate I suppose.

rosy

Post by rosy »

The first pair fit reasonably well and the tapered legs flatter your shape. The second two don't fit you well - this is a fault in the cut, not in you.

The long pink trousers in your third post fit your waist and bum* well but they look slightly too wide and long below the knee to my eye.

*I agree with the others, nice arse :))
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

How do I wear trousers? I don't... They're basically all terrible and I can't be bothered even trying! I think my body is similar to yours, an hour glassy pear and I struggle to find something to fit my waist and hips. With length also a factor plus the aforementioned pants tent issue, it is just too hard.

I think the ones in your photos look a bit big, sorry. Great bum though as others have said!

Sorry, I have no advice. Or maybe find some which tick most boxes and get them slightly altered if you really like everything apart from one aspect.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I’m an hourglass/pear and I can’t wear trousers apart from those soft summer jogger type things. I tried ones with paper bag waists and they look horrendous - I do not need added bulk around that area.

I think trousers work well for very slim people with small hips. I’d love to be able to wear cigarette pants etc as they look so elegant.