House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

olive
Really Creepy

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by olive »

emma_p wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:44 pm
The front of the house has wisteria though!
£1.25m worth of wisteria?! :))

That is a very budget kitchen especially at that price but I’d rather an old kitchen that I’d be happy to rip out rather than spend £££ and then rip it out a perfectly good kitchen.

I’ve been browsing rightmove obsessively but there is nothing on in our price bracket in our area. We don’t necessarily want more space but we definitely want a bigger garden.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I do really like wisteria. The house has a 74ft walled garden too and a pretty big space at the front.

It is a weird time to buy/sell unless you have to, olive. Is your old house rented out so you can’t move back yet? I wouldn’t be doing it if we weren’t in a 1 1/2 bedroom terraced cottage without room to get our shipping delivered :woteva:
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I like wisteria too, and I love a walled garden. That kitchen is odd though!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

emma_p wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:48 pm I do really like wisteria. The house has a 74ft walled garden too and a pretty big space at the front.

It is a weird time to buy/sell unless you have to, olive. Is your old house rented out so you can’t move back yet? I wouldn’t be doing it if we weren’t in a 1 1/2 bedroom terraced cottage without room to get our shipping delivered :woteva:
I’d love a walled garden.

We won’t be buying or selling now, it’s something we’re thinking about for next year. Our house it rented and the tenants have said they’re happy to stay on indefinitely which helps.

We’re debating going into a rental closer to public transport but in the same area.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

That all sounds sensible olive.

I dreamt of wisteria covered houses last night :love:
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Sorry about the house, Emma.

My freeholder's solicitor is shit and rude and is being very slow at getting the contract (for the lease extension) to us. He's had more than three weeks now and my solicitor says we should have had his draft by now. And now my solicitor has gone on holiday for a week :verm:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I was wondering how you were doing, nine. I'm sorry about solicitor woes. I'm meeting mine in person tomorrow. I am a bit concerned that we will be the shit people holding up the sale as we are going on holiday 30July-20Aug :uhh: but I will make sure we do everything we can not to be!
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I can't believe I am still waiting for my solicitor to send me the report and mortgage docs to sign. I am rabid. It's been over a week! So we're still the people holding up exchange.

That's infuriating 9, solicitors are all useless :(
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I genuinely believe that conveyancing is the dumping ground for otherwise incompetent solicitors (with apologies to anyone here who may have been one once, be partnered with one, or even vaguely know one).
smalex

Post by smalex »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:52 pm I genuinely believe that conveyancing is the dumping ground for otherwise incompetent solicitors (with apologies to anyone here who may have been one once, be partnered with one, or even vaguely know one).
YES. I also believe this.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Yep. Closely followed by will-writers (present company excepted, etc.).
Beena

Post by Beena »

I handed my signed documents this morning so we're all set to exchange and completion can go ahead as planned. I'm sure our buyer would go sooner - and maybe if they hadn't fannied about with surveys, we could have.

Tiny Showjump House was a no. We offered the ceiling price for the street, but she thinks it's worth much more and is expecting full asking. The bathroom, central heating and electrics all date back to 1980.

The agent came across as an arrogant toss so I might have given him a few choice word about overpricing and raising unrealistic expectations. :look: I'm sorry, but you cannot add an arbitrary £30k on to the sale price to cover 'loss of enoyment' of your homemade constellation feature ceiling. If you're that upset, don't move.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I feel like we need a link to this one now :))
Beena

Post by Beena »

:)) No. It looks absolutely normal from the photos. They did a good job keeping the crazy hidden. She's repurposed a lot of the original features into others things, like cutting holes in the stairs to accommodate stuff, and turning the hall cupboard into a pub.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Beena wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:04 pm 'loss of enoyment' of your homemade constellation feature ceiling. If you're that upset, don't move.
WHAT? People are just crazy and I think that moving house just proves this.

It's all in the post, I'm going to hand deliver it back on Wednesday morning. I am so keen to exchange this week that this is driving me a bit crazy.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'll be the lone voice in saying that my solicitor is fantastic. Their services aren't cheap but they refuse to put up with any shit as my cousin found out when her ex was trying to screw her and her kids over. :lol: If you have a case then they can be extremely sharkish.

Anyways - I have now officially sold my flat. It's been a stressful old week with moving into our temp accommodation, getting Eric settled, getting internet back up to allow me to work and clearing the remaining stuff out and gutting the place top to bottom.

We signed the missives today and handed in our keys, it now belongs to young lad and I hope he has many happy years there.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Glint

Post by Glint »

Fantastic Duo, I hope you're in your new place soon.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Congratulations Duo. Sounds like the Scottish system is far more sensible.

We had an amazing solicitor last time, but unfortunately she had left the profession. I picked the one we used this time as she didn't charge any fees if the chain collapsed and our EA was nervous there was a risk it could collapse. Actually she was the cheapest too, but she ws excellent. I'd definitely use her again, but realise I got lucky.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Brilliant news Duo.

Exchange is imminent apparently after a sudden demand for a Coal Mining report, I think we're pretty close to being able to move. My solicitor has been fine to be honest but obviously could be more proactive.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

Congratulations Duo!