House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

emma_p

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by emma_p »

Oh good luck Starry! I remember that stage of clutter hiding so well :scarred:

Good news on your valuation speedy. Hope the decoration doesn't take too long, this is a great time of year for sales. The property market round us has gone crazy since new year, things have been going under offer so quickly and prices are bonkers. So different to this time last year!

Our vendor just called to ask if we want spare paint, tiles etc or if he should take them to the tip. One benefit of "floating" in airbnbs for that last three months is that we did all that that stuff November, we literally just have a car full of stuff to move from our airbnb when we move!
Starry

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankrupcy

Post by Starry »

S has a storage thing that he has paid for a few months, so a lot of stuff we don’t need immediately but can’t get rid of - Christmas decorations, stuff waiting to go to my sister for the baby etc - will be kept there. I’m keen to get rid of things we don’t need and won’t ever use again.
Starry

Post by Starry »

Apparently there are three of Saturday’s viewer making an offer today. One is at asking but we will need a bit more than to get the house we want; the agent priced it lower with a view to getting 10% more, and to generate a bit of interest.

Will see.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Fingers crossed, Starry!
Starry

Post by Starry »

The agent wants to organise another viewing on Saturday, which is fine. I mean having an offer in at asking a week after putting it on the market isn’t a bad place to be. Plus it may make our offer on the other house a bit more attractive.
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

Very sluggish round here. The house Mr Speedy viewed last week had dropped its price just a few days after going on the market. Hadn't even gone on the market when he viewed it. Just the hallway and spare room to decorate now but we're leaving that until we've cleared out the spare room a bit more. We're in no rush so might as well get it as straight as possible before putting it on the market.
Good luck Starry.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

Well done Nine! Nearly there, Emma.

We exchanged and completed yesterday and I'm now scrabbling round to find a plumber, electrician and decorator as we only have until the end of April in our rental.

The house seems a bit dingy and sad and definitely needs at the very least new decor everywhere and new flooring.

I've been looking at colours for our bedroom and have just spotted Scotch Blue by Farrow and Ball. Anyone got any opinions? It's a small room but I have a large framed Kimono picture that goes above the bed that will look really good on a dark backgound.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Congratulations, Tsu! I hope you get as much as possible sorted before you move in. Fresh paint will make all the difference, and that looks like a lovely blue.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Congratulations Tsu!

Definitely yes to the Scotch Blue.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Well done Tsu! Phew! Another one off the list :) Hopefully you have enough time to get all the decoration done before you move in :fc: Scotch blue is lovely.
smalex

Post by smalex »

That's great news Tsu, congratulations!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Hurrah Tsu! Congratulations!

We’re in the land of no updates at the moment. Waiting for our buyers to get their survey report and valuation and also waiting for our solicitor to let us know about the searches. We’ve provisionally booked the removal company though :weewee: and the people we are buying from have booked theirs too (same company so the guy who came round to give us a quote told us they’d booked). Hope to get some news later this week on whether our buyers can make the date :fc:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

That is some organisation Chicky!

We're transferring to the solicitor today so they have the funds in plenty of time. I'm simultaneously terrified after smal's family's experience last summer, relieved to get the money out of my account and super excited as once they've confirmed they have the funds we're really the final stages! Less than a week to go! :disco:

Do you move this month too, nine?
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Exciting times!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Do a tenner first, emma :panic:.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

I'll confess that sending the money to our solicitor was the most nerve wracking thing about the whole transaction.
We had to go to the bank with ID and I'd asked the solicitor to write the bank details down then had my mother collect it (they were in Essex) and bring it to Devon with her when she visited us in January.

It's sad that a few robbers have made us all so paranoid.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

emma_p wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:05 am That is some organisation Chicky!

We're transferring to the solicitor today so they have the funds in plenty of time. I'm simultaneously terrified after smal's family's experience last summer, relieved to get the money out of my account and super excited as once they've confirmed they have the funds we're really the final stages! Less than a week to go! :disco:

Do you move this month too, nine?
Yes, Friday next week! I need to transfer some funds to my solicitor soon too. :panic:
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

This time next week...
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

How exciting nine!!

We still haven’t heard from our buyers :verm:
Starry

Post by Starry »

Exciting stuff!

We have had two offers but another viewing tomorrow too. S is digging his heels in a bit on price and won’t sell unless we hit a certain point. Which is great but the whole point of moving was more space and shorter school run for me. I see his point but I’d be more willing to be a bit more flexible if it means I keep my sanity.

Chicky how long have they been out of contact?