Derek Nimmo

Re: Gas Prices, Supply Issues and Collapsing Suppliers

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I'm surprised it lasted that long!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

My mum has come down this morning and said all the motorway ones between her and here had some if that helps Smal.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

The Esso at Frome has started rationing, £30 per person I think so they’re at least managing to serve most people. Frome as a whole appears to have run out of diesel though if FB is to be believed.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I imagine that motorway service stations have a much better supply and supply chain (bigger storage tanks, easier access for lorries delivering fuel, more regular deliveries scheduled etc) so they are definitely where I’d start looking of desperate for fuel.
smalex

Post by smalex »

There's lots locally so hopefully there'll be some. I only passed that one this morning so I've no idea what the situation is like generally. I'd pass one on the motorway on Wednesdays trip but if they're out I'd be a bit screwed!
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I read that they are prioritising motorway station deliveries this morning.

People are definitely avoiding using their cars - my road really fills up on weekdays as we are less than 10 mins walk from a station and have free on road parking, but it's like a weekend parking (or lockdown) out there today.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

The ones with hgv pumps are also being prioritised. The one near me is a priority station as it's on our main A road (no motorways here), and had hgv pumps.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Our local Morrisons garage was turning people away this afternoon and telling people that a diesel tanker is due to arrive at 3.30am tomorrow. I am taking bets on there being queues when I got to work at 5am. :lol:
rosy

Post by rosy »

I went to the big Sainso this afternoon and there was no diesel at all, and petrol was limited to £30 per vehicle. I’ve still got this plug-in hybrid courtesy car so I’m ok for now.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I pay £45 a month for gas and electric - it's a low price because my house is very small and I don't put the heating on if I can avoid it. I've had an email this morning telling me that this contract is ending and I can fix at £82 a month for one year or £71 a month for two years. That's a huge increase! I did the comparison thing on MSE and this is a competitive rate; the only cheaper ones are with Utility Warehouse and require taking their broadband and phone as well.

I've gone for the two year fix and will look into cutting down on my usage further.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

That's a huge jump, Rosy. Was your contract really ending or were they telling porkies?
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

We're just waiting for an email what's happening to our supply as igloo has gone bust

Petrol here is ok but you don't have a chance if you need diesel
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

My 12 month fixed tariff is ending on 30th November.

I've just had my renewal details 😲

I currently pay £83 a month for both and it's gone up to £204 for a 12 month fixed tariff or £107 for a variable tariff.

I'll probably go with the fixed as I can keep an eye on how much I go in credit and get it back without issue.

I am angry though. I can afford to do this, but there are so many people that will really, really struggle.

There'll be a lot of blanket use this winter.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Wow! That is loads more!
Disco

Post by Disco »

I currently pay £134 for both. I hope it doesn't go up massively like yours! I have already curbed my tumble dryer use, I haven't put the heating on yet and will stick strictly to what I've plugged into the timer and make use of blankets and extra clothes. I've got a fire in the sitting room at least.

I know the tumble dryer isn't gas but trying to reduce my overall energy consumption because of £££.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Lily wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:24 pm That's a huge jump, Rosy. Was your contract really ending or were they telling porkies?
No, I looked back at my previous emails and I really am coming to the end of the contract. I’ve switched the heating off and ordered a tonne of wood for the winter, and am currently knitting yet another blanket.

Gosh, Bramble, that’s an enormous rise.
smalex

Post by smalex »

That is so much more Brambs. Absolutely impossible for some people to manage. Ours is up in Nov, I'm going to make an effort to use the log burner more in the evenings when we're basically just sitting in one room anyway.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I actually gasped. I thought it might go up a bit but not by that much.

I'm going to keep an eye on the heating and be stricter about the timings. I've got thermal leggings and warm layers/tops for working and I'll wrap a blanket round me if needs be.

I'm so angry that some people will have to choose to keep warm or eat.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Oh my god, these bill hikes are awful.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

bramblerose wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:41 pm My 12 month fixed tariff is ending on 30th November.

I've just had my renewal details 😲

I currently pay £83 a month for both and it's gone up to £204 for a 12 month fixed tariff or £107 for a variable tariff.

I'll probably go with the fixed as I can keep an eye on how much I go in credit and get it back without issue.

I am angry though. I can afford to do this, but there are so many people that will really, really struggle.

There'll be a lot of blanket use this winter.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... 39-yr---b/

Current advice is not to fix Bramble, as the variable tariff you are being quoted is the price capped price, so it can’t go up for at least six months. Even if the cap does increase in six months you will have saved nearly £600 by not fixing.

So advice to anyone with a cheap fixed deal is stay on it until it runs out, then do nothing, and get moved onto the variable rate. Don’t switch, just hold tight, and hope that when the price cap is reviewed in six months the market will be in a better place.

At any rate, don’t fix at the moment, as all the fixes are hugely expensive, and you could be stuck on them for 12 months.